PDA

View Full Version : I need your advise on my mini..

QuadJunkies
12-11-2002, 11:25 PM
ok, we bought a trinity pipe for my Daughters mini and got it all put on and believe it or not.............it runs worse with the pipe??:huh :confused: It lost power and torque.lost more than if it was stock!!!.im puzzled..this is what we have done so far.......Ok.. It is an 8 plug,at stock needle setting,air intake screw set all the way in. idle screw turned all the way out and it still idles too fast,so fast that it makes the tires move very quickly.........tried to adjust the air intake screw,idle screw, tried hotter plug, which was a 7.....plug reading was better on the 8 than the 7,got a choclate brown color with the 8 plug.I am stumped...We havent messed with anything that would cause any fowl ups...:(... Any ideas I have got to get this going before her Bday.ANY idaes please send them my way..Thanks....Tina;)

RAPTORAZ
12-12-2002, 05:29 AM
I'd try calling Trinity and ask them about recommended jetting for their pipe. I'm sure they'll get you close.

Sportrax10
12-12-2002, 05:44 AM
What is it? An lt80?

YZROOSTINYA
12-12-2002, 05:50 AM
if it is idleing higher than normal i would say it is running lean

your prob gonna want to change the main one size. is the carb sticking at all.

you do not want to go to a hotter plug. this will do nothing

put the stock pipe back on and get it to run right. then put the aftermarket pipe on and richen up the jetting a bit. if it is idleing high try moving the clip down(raise the needle) to help with idle, also check the pilot jet, you might need to go up a size

hondaracer31
12-12-2002, 05:50 AM
It sounds like it's too lean. check with hetrick racing, at www.hetrickracing.com

YZROOSTINYA
12-12-2002, 05:51 AM
the air screw should be 1.5 to 2 tuensd out i beleive

QuadJunkies
12-12-2002, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Sportraxboy10
What is it? An lt80? she has a Kasea 90cc;)

Maryland 400EX
12-12-2002, 09:39 AM
Your main jet and/or needle position is too lean to run with a pipe. Try going up 2 sizes on the main jet and one notch down on the clip for the needle and see if it runs better.

danney f
12-12-2002, 03:03 PM
Your air screw needs to be about 2 turns out from all the way in and turn your idle screw about half way. Than start it and adjust the idle air screw until it idles right. You may have to change the needle and main also but this should get it to where it will idle right and than you could go from there.

QuadJunkies
12-13-2002, 12:11 AM
Thanks fior all your ideas..going to order some jets today, and hope they come fast!! !!Im giving Trinity a call today to to find out the stock jetting andgo form there and get some advise.hopefully this will fix the problem...;)

QuadJunkies
12-14-2002, 12:28 PM
still haing troubles ..grrrr:grr :mad: Now, even Trinity is stumped.. they had us bore out the main jet, and still no luck now I have to wait on new ones to be sent to me:( Im also ordering new rollers to help with something else we notice its been doing.WE got it to where she seems to be running a lil better ,but now the plug reads white...i would take any more suggestions you may have and ill post all we have done tonight,in the mean time we will be "plugging "away on it for the day..(i made a funny!):p

josh
12-14-2002, 02:52 PM
believe it or not i think ur jettin is ok but your fuel is not being delivered properly, try fiddling with the fuel line and messin with all fuel delivery areas

o, and another way to tell if it's too lean or rich, don't quote me cuz it works on my 1969 mustang and i'm not sure if it will work great with a small quad but, take the air filter off and when the bike is idling stuff a rag over it so it blocks off the air, if the bike's idle speeds up when u put the rag over the carb or air hole then that means it is too lean because when u quickly changed the air/fuel ratio mixture it sped up, if the idle speed bogs or dies then it is either just right or rich, hope that helps, works great on a carbuerated car but hey.........

also, i would just try going one small size up on the main jet and screwing the air mixture screw out a 1/4 turn at a time until it sounds good, that's nothing the manufacturer couldn't help u with anyways, hope that helps

josh

hondaracer31
12-14-2002, 05:44 PM
Boring out the main jet won't help it at idle. You need a bigger pilot jet and probably raise the needle jet 1-2 positions (lower the clip). I think the air filter trick won't work on a small motor, if it does'nt have any air leaks plugging the air intake should make it stall.
Hope this helps, I just got my 440 stroker running great by fiddling with the jetting. :D

QuadJunkies
12-14-2002, 10:52 PM
this is tina's husband. I have been working hard trying to get the 90 to run. We put a trinity pipe and a uni filter and it runs worse than stock! Trinity said to bore out the main jet to 40-1000s. This did not work. To even to get it to start the idle screw needs to be all the way out, theair intake "all"the in and yhe needle all the way down with the clip all the up. I have tryed a 7 stock plug and a 8 hot plug. The ngk numbers run up. I have put the needle in every spot and nothing helps. Why would the intake need to be in all the way? If it starts it takes of slow picking up very little speed and if you open it up it dies. 1 208 922 5577 if ant one can help!

hondaracer31
12-15-2002, 04:39 AM
ok...I'm stumped.. I suggest calling Hetrick Racing 814-676-0477. They race Kasea's at the National level. Check out their web site at www.hetrickracing.com. They are very good, especially if Trinity doesn't know what to do. Sorry, they are closed Sunday.

Good luck :)

cjpoole1
12-15-2002, 05:15 PM
go here http://forums.atvsource.com/viewforum.php?f=11 they will definetly be able to solve your problem

SmokinJoe@PJR
12-15-2002, 06:51 PM
These are a strange engine to tune....We built a pipe for a Polaris 90 last year and ended up boring out the main and pilot....The thing runs alot better than stock without goin to a bigger carb(big pain that is).. To get it rite I took the carb off 30 times and kept borin jets till it ran,then worked on makin it fast.....

QuadJunkies
12-25-2002, 12:57 PM
WEll, here is where we set as of right now....Hetricks has sent us some new jets and pilot,we have went from a 85.2 on the main, we are now setting at a 120jet and could prol use a 125!!!:eek: We did a plug reading today, and its almost where she needs to be(color is still a bit on the light side)idiling a lil fast still, may need to change pilot by one more size.NOW... the prblem is the air filter..:confused: :( Else she breathes too much or not enough,to start off, breathes too much,so you constrict the air flow, then when it starts runnin its not enough:grr ... Any suggestions on dif air filters??Right now she has a foam unfilter, when this is all done ,she will be a smokin lil mini:) FOund the "dead spot" it was her roller wieghts,changed them from 9 to a 6.5 now she has some get up!:D this pipe really woke up the mini,any suggestions on the filter issue??? Thanks..Tina

AtvMxRider
12-25-2002, 06:46 PM
Do they make a K+N for it?

QuadJunkies
12-25-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Do they make a K+N for it? They do, but if anything, it will breathe even more..;)

AtvMxRider
12-25-2002, 06:58 PM
;) Right back at ya Momma!

QuadJunkies
12-25-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
;) Right back at ya Momma! :D :D :D

SmokinJoe@PJR
12-26-2002, 07:48 PM
We got a UNI filter with a 1.5 inch neck with a slite bend to it.....You might as well call them at hetrick for more jets cause the stock filter will eventually get sucked into the carb

QuadJunkies
12-26-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by SmokinJoe@PJR
We got a UNI filter with a 1.5 inch neck with a slite bend to it.....You might as well call them at hetrick for more jets cause the stock filter will eventually get sucked into the carb We are runnin a uni-filter on it , the stock isnt worht a hill of beans to us now, but yet the unifiltre is still too much, BUT...the jetting is FINALLY there....whew... its sitting right at 125 right now and the color is good..but still having probs with the air intake.. We will mess with it more this wk end on the clip i think,other than that maybe needs to go one more on the pilot..I think Im going to make my own cover for the filter to see if it helps maybe out of a sock or something...Ill keep you posted.. any more suggestions, please let me know...TIna;)

QuadJunkies
01-05-2003, 02:36 AM
WEll..I have been asked by alot of peeps if we got the mini up and running, heres what we came up with..We went from a 82.5 main jet, had to go all the way to a 125!:eek: and from a 22 to a 30 on the pilot.and roller weights tool away her "dead spot" changed it from a 9 to a 6.5.. holy cow... Boy does she have some get up now!!!!:blah :D Thank you for all your help.HONDARACER31~~ Thanks for suggesting Hetricks.. They have been a HUGE help.Rich And KC were very nice and helpful and sent us all the stuff we needed w/o even charging us a penny for the parts until the problem was solved...Thanks again...;) Tina

hondaracer31
01-05-2003, 05:55 AM
You're welcome QJ! I new if anybody could help it was them, they are the Kasea master's:D

Keep it safe!