PDA

View Full Version : 400EX axle lock nuts..HELP

ned02
10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
I need to replace my bearing carrier.I was able to loosen the inner lock nut but am unable to budge the outer one, anybody have any suggestions?And yes I have tried a BIG hammer.

ned02
10-24-2008, 01:56 PM
I was under the impression that they were both left hand thread? Now I really feel like an idiot,I will go try the other direction and let you know how it went.Thanks.

NacsMXer
10-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by ned02
I was under the impression that they were both left hand thread? Now I really feel like an idiot,I will go try the other direction and let you know how it went.Thanks.

No, actually I think I just had a total brain fart. It has been years since I dealt with a stock lock nut. You may be correct. I just checked my Honda service manual and the exact words are: "the lock nuts have left hand threads".

I'm going to delete my first post so I don't spread the wrong information. I'm sure someone will chime in soon, to back up the statement in the manual ;)

ned02
10-24-2008, 02:05 PM
OK first of all this was a test and you passed with flying colors.....I failed and will now turn in my tools and man card. thank you for your help it's amazing how easy it is to loosen when you turn it the right way! I will deny ever posting this question and this thread will self destruct in 10 seconds.

ned02
10-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Put your first post back you were CORRECT! I was going by the manual as well and it is Incorrect.the inner is left hand the out turns to the right Thanks again.

NacsMXer
10-24-2008, 02:08 PM
OK first of all this was a test and you passed with flying colors.....I failed and will now turn in my tools and man card. thank you for your help it's amazing how easy it is to loosen when you turn it the right way! I will deny ever posting this question and this thread will self destruct in 10 seconds.

LOL

So were they infact opposite to eachother or both left hand thread like the manual states?

NacsMXer
10-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Put your first post back you were CORRECT! I was going by the manual as well and it is Incorrect. Thanks again.

Wow, go figure :p

That's a big misprint in the manual then! Glad you got it taken care of.

ned02
10-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
LOL

So were they infact opposite to eachother or both left hand thread like the manual states?

they turn opposite each other.