PDA

View Full Version : Why run beadlock rims?

FATANDFAST
10-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Can someone explain the benefits of beadlock rims? I am new to the sport and I am trying to figure out if they are worth the extra money. I am running a 250r stroked to 265.

10-24-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here but I believe the benefit would be keeping the tires on the wheels. Under extreme circumstances, such as xc or mx racing, the tire may get knocked off the bead of a standard wheel, making it slightly more difficult to get good traction.

250Renvy
10-24-2008, 12:11 PM
I believe it's also so you an run flat without losing the tire, if you get a flat/puncture.

I know for fast/hard turning it is possible to lose the tire from the bead on a regular rim if there is a lot of side load.

deathman53
10-24-2008, 12:24 PM
yep, its is possible to pop the tire off the bead in a hard turn. You ever see a picture of what your tire looks like in a real hard turn??? You will see the need for beadlocks if you do. Also you can run lower tire pressure and it is far far easier to change tires. You can change tires in under 10 minutes, almost no need to fight with the tire to get it off the rim, minimial use of tire irons. For single side beadlocks, you will need a bead breaker. Dual bead locks, don't need a bead breaker and its even easier to change tires. The downside of beadlocks is sometimes they lose tire pressure. Most of the mx and xc riders use beadlocks, there has to be a reason for that. Buying a set of hiper single fronts and dual rears will become the best money you spent on your quad, once you get a beadbreaker($70), no need to pay people to change tires for you. You really don't need tire irons either, for years I used 3 big screwdrivers. You can get cf1's for alittle more than the cost for reinfocred rims. The upsides are well worn it.

Dave83
10-24-2008, 03:20 PM
They are stronger and dont bend as easily as stock style wheels.Also,when racing,you are gonna bump tires,my rings have nicks in them from other guys wheels.If I had not had the beadlocks,I would have ruined a tire and wheel possibly

2muchquad
10-24-2008, 09:03 PM
beadlocks can be heavier though,make sure your motor can turn them,i know people that both like them and dont like them.As usual,results may vary:)

FATANDFAST
10-26-2008, 03:58 AM
Thanks a lot. You guys have been tons of help.