PDA

View Full Version : yfz build dillema

AJ's Blaster
10-23-2008, 01:16 PM
ok so i plan to hit the woods racing circuit next year pretty heavily. i am going to do a build project on teh yfz this winter and wanted to get some ideas. the quad has an exhaust airbox mods and carb work done to it. do I:

A; rebuild the motor, porting polish new rings piston cams

B; widen it if so to what? what do the pros run??

C; cosmetic work powder coat everything new plastics.

Dr89
10-23-2008, 06:31 PM
you dont need any more motor, put your money towards suspension. do your research...theres lots of good brands out there.

you might like the 13t front sprocket, good for the woods...you can get one for like $7 so do it and see how it feels.

some will say get skids all the way under but, i'd just say get an underbody skid to protect your cases. a-arm skids just pack up with mud and a swinger skid will just have you stuck constantly...they make rotor and sprocket guards that are more effective without losing as much ground clearance. you can find ppl with them on here, i ride through a lot of rough stuff and have never used anything under my swinger, so far so good and i NEVER get stuck so...up to you if you wanna risk it.

some ppl dont use nerfs for XC, i however wouldnt ride without em...they've saved me to many times from getting by leg bashed between a tree or rock, and not once have i ever been hung up by them or even seen anyone get hung up by them. and almost every pro uses nerfs.

i like my handguards a lot but i've done without, and i just got a steering stabilizer, also helpful. make sure you have good tires! side bite is important.

thats all i can think of right now.