PDA

View Full Version : Broken Fan?

KingpinsEx
10-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Took my quad to the mx track the other day, ran fine, although the temp. light was coming on and going off. This seems pretty common for the LTR so I had no worries and rode for most of the day. Well I took it out yesterday just putting around the house and the temp light came on within 5min. this is unusual. So I took it up and down the road, parked it and kept the key switch on. The fan always kicks on when I have been riding for a little while and stop with the key still on. Well I noticed it wasn't kicking on and hasn't since. I checked the fuse next to the fan and that is not the problem. I'm a little worried about running it without the fan working for fear of overheating, but I don't want to take it to the dealer. Any one have some suggestions?

05Z400rdr
10-23-2008, 04:03 PM
I've had the same problem earlier back in the season. My fan wasn't working, and the light came on, and it got so hot that all my coolant boiled out the overflow. Fuses were fine. Turns out the Cooling Fan Relay went bad. I put a new one in (I think it's like $35 from Suzuki) and it has worked fine since. Hope this helps!

Landon

TAXMAN420
10-28-2008, 12:48 PM
:ermm: same thing happened to me when i was at little Sahara last weekend .i just want to bypass the switch so it runs all the time.what do u guys think?:cool: :cool:

05Z400rdr
10-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Yup I know some people that did that too. If you do that, try and bypass it so that it goes on and off with your key

hatfield44
10-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks to CQD @ the HQ
Cooling system Diagnosis LT-R 450

1. Check the 10amp fan fuse?
2. Is there power at the fan fuse with key and stopswitch on?
3. Test your fan-using jumper wires.
Disconnect 2 wire fan connector.
Apply 12v (+) to Blue wire
Apply Ground to Black wire
If fan spins, reconnect and go to next step, if not, replace fan motor.
4. Disconnect fan relay (on electronics plate, steering stem side of plate the right one as seen when sitting on quad. should have these color wires going to it (black w/ red tracer, black w/ white tracer, yellow with black tracer, and orange w/ yellow tracer). look at connector side of relay put the locking tab at 12 o-clock. pin 'A' is top left, 'B' is bottom left, 'C' is top right, 'D' is bottom right.
__^__
A | - - |C
B | - - |D Sorry about the bad Diagram

Apply 12 volts (+) to 'C' and (-) to 'D' With a DVOM, test for continuity between pins 'A' AND 'B'
If continuity exists, relay is ok.

And Thanks to Shadey @ the HQ
Did you check the values of the coolant temp sensor to see if it's in the correct range.
full of water
Rad cap
Thermo stat
coolant temp sensor
Fan
Fuse
Fan ground
Fan relay
fan relay negative to ECM

05Z400rdr
10-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah CQR is the man. He sent me that as well, but I don't have it anymore I don't think, but that's how I found out the relay was bad. :macho

KingpinsEx
10-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I tested the relay and its good so im gonna try and test the motor tomorrow. Hopefully this get its straightened out!

KingpinsEx
10-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Well finally got a chance to look at her a little bit. Fan motor is good, fired right up with a little juice. However when I checked the power going to the fan fuse I got nothing. So the problem is somewhat narrowed down, just have to trace the wires back and see if I can find the problem.

KingpinsEx
11-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Narrowed down ha! What a mess, I am used to the simple good ole 400ex, not all this FI wiring sensors/wires everywhere. Now the fan works, there is just no power going to the fan fuse. Got a wiring diagram, and the three wires running to the fan fuse is the ignition switch, regulator, and main fuse. Main fuse must be good because the light and fuel pump work when the key is turned. So I am assuming something is bad in my ignition switch? Thinking about getting a manual because I'm starting to have a mess of parts that have been taken off to get to this point...Still open to suggestions? :o