PDA

View Full Version : ice racing/oval track setups

eddie pettengil
10-22-2008, 04:55 PM
What do you guys have for oval track setups. I'm in the process of building a ice racer since the winter is the only time I have to ride.

The atv is a 86 R with Lonestar +3 a-arms. I'm looking for a cheap but effective flat track shock setup. I have heard of guys using blaster shocks and need info from you guys that know how it works.

Also I have heard guys using a cr80 rear shock with no link on the rear.

Hopefully, This post will end up with lots of flat track info to keep the 250 R's at the front of the pack.

trx250rider
10-22-2008, 08:14 PM
try this guy..he might can help...he has a flat track setup for sale on craigslist...will this setup work..heres the link

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/rvs/867142525.html

hang1p
10-24-2008, 02:10 AM
eddie you should be able to use stock 250r shocks with those +3 a-arms and have quite a drop and use a adj. link in the rear drops it up and down in minutes. maybe I'll make it over this year

eddie pettengil
10-24-2008, 12:59 PM
I have the stock front shocks on there now and it is way to high. I could do the lowering kit for the front and that might help a little but not nearly as low as I want to go. These a-arms will we level with the ground hopefully when I'm done. I already have the adjustable dogbone in the rear but thats not even low enough. This will be just a ice racer so clearance is not a issue.

I hope you can make it here this winter. We had a good turn out (18 different quads) last year and hoping for more in 09.

Thats a very nice R you have, it must scream.

jon370r
11-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Going low helps but more width and a sway bar will give you the most bang for the buck.

C-LEIGH RACING
11-06-2008, 06:54 AM
All you got to do, to make a blaster shocks work, is narrow the top mounting eye just a little so it will fit into the shock mount on the 250R frame. No problem on the a arms, shock will go right in.
Get a good set of blaster shocks though, dont want a junky set thats about shot cause they still need to work some.

I have a rear shock thats short & problably would work for what your wanting to do. Looks like a stock R shock with red spring & rezzie just a bit shorter. Will bolt right in & with the adjustable dog bone & you have the bone all the way up, it should sit your bike just about right.
We couldnt use it on TT cause we have jumps & was to short.
With a - 2.5 swingarm & the dog bone adjusted all the way up, the swingarm was just about level, but still had just a bit downward slope.
Neil

AutoRoc
11-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Gearing? I've never been on ice but do you need big wheel speed? LIke gear it up 3-4 teeth up front and down some out back? Just curious! Nice rides guys!

eddie pettengil
11-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by jon370r
Going low helps but more width and a sway bar will give you the most bang for the buck.
I'm running +3 a-arms with 4+1 offset wheels on the front and when I get a 13.5 inch shock (with a load on it) it will be just a hair under 50 inches. The rear is at 49.5 inches (not sure what width axle that is).

Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
All you got to do, to make a blaster shocks work, is narrow the top mounting eye just a little so it will fit into the shock mount on the 250R frame. No problem on the a arms, shock will go right in.
Get a good set of blaster shocks though, dont want a junky set thats about shot cause they still need to work some.
The Blaster shocks will be the way I go this year. You can find a pretty good set of stockers for $30 - $60 bucks. I'm also looking into getting some 450r front shocks converted

I might get back to you on that rear shock, I'm in need of one pretty bad.

Originally posted by AutoRoc
Gearing? I've never been on ice but do you need big wheel speed? LIke gear it up 3-4 teeth up front and down some out back? Just curious! Nice rides guys!.
I have tried different gearing and have always ended up back to stock with 18 inch rear tires. The most power out of my quad seams to be in 4th gear. The circle tracks we build are little bullrings, somewhere between 1/16 and a 1/8 of a mile. Lots of side by side racing and lots of tire rubbing. I try to get the power band to hit right after mid turn (in 4th rear) and I dont want to have to shift at all.

hang1p
11-10-2008, 08:06 AM
pic a couple years ago

jas250r
11-13-2008, 03:00 PM
are the swaybars universal?