PDA

View Full Version : i hate my honda'a

One_Bad_400
10-22-2008, 04:03 PM
engine! why did honda build the case saver bolt houseings so chitty! i've got 6 honda engines. EVERYONE but 1 (maybe) has all the case saver bolt houseings broke off. well.. today i took my bike in the backyard. the dang chain snapped! well.. this time... instead of the houseing breaking.. it desided to take half the case off with it! does anybody else have case saver housing problems??? or is it just me?!?! i feel like i've broken enough housings for everybody that rides a 450r.

coryatver
10-22-2008, 04:13 PM
run a polyurathane case saver. They have some give and absorb the impact.

One_Bad_400
10-22-2008, 04:21 PM
yep.. thats what i thought. there on all of my bikes

i wish honda would make the side of the case flat. instead the houseings come out half an inch. so it has leverage to break off..

86250rrider
10-22-2008, 04:47 PM
RUN A SKID PLATE. keep chain adjusted.i also use a um design case saver. also run good chain and sprockets and watch the axle bearings.all these thing when worn contribute to the twisting force to launch a chain.

86250rrider
10-22-2008, 04:48 PM
i see you may be a mx rider. they make tensioners to keep chain slack up on the bottom also. it mounts to the swinger or frame.

One_Bad_400
10-22-2008, 05:06 PM
ya. i tried the one that went on the sub frame and it snapped in half on the first ride. so didnt try those anymore. ya the reason it snapped was becasue of a crappy off brand master-link. i found them in the shop and thought they were fine. the pinched part of the link came apart. not the part that you clip on your self.

86250rrider
10-22-2008, 05:13 PM
since i switched to did x-ring atv chains i have never had any chain problems...at all. knock on wood!! i used to use rk o-rings back in the day and they didnt last as long and i broke one on a rocky,steep hillchimb on my tecate4 .thank god the bike didnt roll...BIG HILL. i took a little snow ride on my 250R ONCE without the skid plate and it popped almost immediately....with no damage(luckily). i wont take either bike even up the street without a skid plate now!!!! i use the prm ones...nice pieces IMO

One_Bad_400
10-22-2008, 05:16 PM
i've never used a skid plate???? ever? maybe i should look into them lol

86250rrider
10-22-2008, 05:42 PM
your jackin me ....right?

One_Bad_400
10-22-2008, 05:55 PM
haha no. the day i get a new bike thats one of the first things that comes off

86250rrider
10-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
haha no. the day i get a new bike thats one of the first things that comes off

well.......check into those 2 piece sprocket guards , it will make it more difficult for the chain to ride over it unless its real loose. i think i found your problem. my 450r with the gtt link gets looser when the rear is compressed. so i adjust the chain by making it snug when bikes rear shock is fully extended. kinda weird...but thats how its works!

d3ktrix
10-22-2008, 07:50 PM
I think ur doing something wrong :P

In 3 years my chain has never came off or broken once (yet).
And its the original stock chain, it looks super worn and all the rollers inside are loose and flop around but it still does its job :P

Not saying chains should never pop off, but your saying u busted up 5 cases, sounds kind of extreme lol.

I also ride with no slide plate, though I have a TM designs chain roller on the swinger.
Most of my friends ride with no slide plate or chain roller and they never had chains blow off like you are lol.

Maybe your keeping the chain too tight or something? Supposed to have like 1 1/8" slack.

BlackTrx440ex
10-23-2008, 08:04 AM
i cant use a case saver either it scary sometimes, the top bolt housing snapped off on the kid that had it b4 me and i had my chain get binded up in there on me in a race and knock on wood it didnt bust my case

woodsracer882
10-23-2008, 10:41 AM
I broke the same bolts last year. I took the side case to a machine shop and they put new thread inserts in. Working good so far.

IMSROLL450R
10-24-2008, 12:52 PM
How is that? I threw my chain and broke all of the little ears off on the case, how can I repair it? Do I have to buy a new case? It doesnt leak oil.

One_Bad_400
10-24-2008, 09:16 PM
are there ANY threads left? i always to screw it into aly threads that are left. and if not i jsut leave that bolt out. or if there is any hole left. i just make threads into it

gcart2
10-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by BlackTrx440ex
i cant use a case saver either it scary sometimes, the top bolt housing snapped off on the kid that had it b4 me and i had my chain get binded up in there on me in a race and knock on wood it didnt bust my case

dont worry. more than half of the pro am guys dont even run case saver.

10-25-2008, 09:03 AM
never snapped a chain and never broke a case from my chain. I always lubricate and adjust my chain when it gets out of spec. I've seen a chain fly off a sprokect and it didnt snap the chain or the case. Dont know how the chains are binding on you guys

Ruby Soho
10-25-2008, 09:11 AM
happens to me on the pitbikes once in a great while.

happened to my buddy too, broke some of his case. wasn't running a saver:o

One_Bad_400
10-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
dont worry. more than half of the pro am guys dont even run case saver.

ya, and they can afford a new case. lol

86250rrider
10-26-2008, 12:37 AM
i think if you take care of your stuff,and adjust the chain properly and run a skid...you will have no problems whatsoever.period

taking off the skid doesnt make you faster ,or cooler:macho

d3ktrix
10-26-2008, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by 86250rrider
taking off the skid doesnt make you faster ,or cooler:macho

Actually in MX it does, a swinger skid plate will drag really bad in turns on a soft track. Tire ruts can get deep.
Plus its pointless on tracks, no rocks :P

Chain roller does a better job of guiding the chain & taking up the slack anyway.

86250rrider
10-26-2008, 01:16 AM
i posted that previously for mx guys. some guys strip their bikes for more of a ricky racer look ...and dont consider the consequences.:D

10-26-2008, 09:50 AM
skid plates do make it a bit heavier and you wont jump as easy but its so minimal. Frame skid plates I see in MX and stuff too because if you bottom out real bad you could flatten your frame but with a skid plate evn a thinner one it spread the force around and npthing happens. If I didnt have a swingarm skidplate I would use the GTT sproket guard and stuff or the polyerathane (sp) skidplate. Sucks whoever made that company completely took away my idea that i've had for a few years now.

d3ktrix
10-26-2008, 10:15 AM
If your in a sand pit or on a sandy/beach track and there is big ruts up the lip of a jump from everyone taking a 1 lane the swinger skid and bottom out on the center lane and send your rear end into the air.
Has happened to me, was the main reason for me ditching the swinger skid when I first started riding.

IMSROLL450R
10-26-2008, 10:58 AM
I took mine off because I usually just ride the track and of course when I went trail riding once I hit a rock, threw the chain, and demolished the case saver. I think I will put mine back on when I get it all fixed, that was an expensive mistake.