PDA

View Full Version : Another pink wire question

canam430X
10-22-2008, 07:07 AM
Ok so I know theres a lot of people on here that say "just cut the pink wire" ...Ive read a lot of them... And many other say get the power commander or something similar... What I am wondering is for my race this weekend and for a lil extra quick and easy power can I just cut the pink wire take the lid off and pull the baffle? Would she be running too rich this way? I plan on doing other mods over the winter (this is the last race) ...probably full exhaust of some sort aftermarket filter...maybe a fuel management system...thats another thing I want to know why people who actually bought a power commander or something of the like say it is better than just cutting the pink wire... i mean cutting the wire is can am's race map, so how are the others better?

MYTRX400EX
10-22-2008, 07:47 AM
hi mate i asked this question myself last week, i got no great feedback, i went into the deep end i cut the wire took the lid off and took the baffle out. i found that the bike ran great, it had a bit more bottom end power and a nicer note in the exhaust. i took it up the dunes with no hassle at all. i was impressed with the power gains and the little effort it took make it happen. hope this helps.

BenIL
10-22-2008, 07:53 AM
The power commander is better then just cut the pink wire, because you can set how much fuel you want and it changes in each track, it's adjustable. And, the power commander increase more power, so you can set the commander to same level as pink wire, and more than that.
But, the power commander costs money, and the pink wire I got for free, so I prefered that.

Off-Road Maniac
10-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by canam430X
Ok so I know theres a lot of people on here that say "just cut the pink wire" ...Ive read a lot of them... And many other say get the power commander or something similar... What I am wondering is for my race this weekend and for a lil extra quick and easy power can I just cut the pink wire take the lid off and pull the baffle? Would she be running too rich this way? I plan on doing other mods over the winter (this is the last race) ...probably full exhaust of some sort aftermarket filter...maybe a fuel management system...thats another thing I want to know why people who actually bought a power commander or something of the like say it is better than just cutting the pink wire... i mean cutting the wire is can am's race map, so how are the others better?

they did the exact same thing in this article before adding the pipe and all.

http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=532836&orsrcfath=atvriders

DGS
10-22-2008, 11:21 AM
I cut the pink wire, took the baffle out and took the lid off the airbox. It ran a bit lean and on long races, i found the limp mode coming on after a while. I race for Can Am and while waiting for parts this is how we had to race... We couldnt race once we fitted a full exhaust as the bikes ran leaner and therefore hotter...
Once we fitted a power commander and put the bikes on the dyno, the problem was solved...no limp mode problems since then and we were able to get much more power from the bottom..
Hope this helps...

canam430X
10-24-2008, 09:11 AM
DGS you seem like you have tried exactly what I want to do this weekend...so do you think I wouldnt have any limp mode problems in one sunday of C class motocross racing? I wouldnt consider those "long" races but then again I am not sure. I DEFINITELY dont want to lean it out, I cannot afford a motor haha. If you think its possible It could run lean enough to where I could hurt something, I rather just wait until I can get my pipe filter and power commander & Dyno it. Whatcha think? ...one mor thing in installing the commander did you reattach the pink wire or doesnt it matter?

canam430X
10-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Just a reminder, when I say "what I wanna do this weekend" is cut the wire, take the airbox lid off (still stock filter) and take the baffle out of the stock exhaust.

DGS
10-24-2008, 11:00 AM
i dont think you will have a problem this weekend...make sure your radiator stays clean as well coz of it gets blocked, the bike will run hot...!! The limp mode is designed to protect the motor so it cant get damaged.... i left the pink wire cut once i installed the power commander...
let us know how it goes this weekend...goodluck..

canam430X
10-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Thanks DGS, it went pretty well, probably the muddiest motox race i have ever done... i probably had more than 20 lbs of mud on me haha. That kinda helped though because I could keep it up in those high R's where stock DS's make their power. I didnt end up cutting the pink wire though I ran out of time to play around with it for I am in college right now so I had one night to get her ready. I had to hook up my tether, I just slid the wires right into the connector behind the killswitch but it seemed like a really loose connection... do you remember where you wired yours in on your bikes? Also do you remember about how much the dyno cost after you got the commander? You said you left the pink wire cut but also im hearing that once its cut you cant put it back. Do you think I should cut it when I get my power commander?