PDA

View Full Version : New bearings or upgrade twin row carrier?

shok47
10-21-2008, 09:12 PM
I will have to replace my axle bearings soon, there is around less than half inch play up and down on my axle.

I have been doing some searching on the forum and may consider twin row bearing carriers. The terrain I ride on is somewhat rough at times; going through woods with big roots and bumpy. But that is not always on every ride, only going to a certain place. Something like the picture but without all those rocks and just a little less roots

If I keep riding mine right now but plan to get new dual row carrier once there is more play, will that hurt my other stuff such as my axle?
http://www.about.ch/various/nationalpark/trail_stabelchod_1_big.jpg

drew416ex
10-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Dont keep riding it like that. The smallest amount of play means the bearings are shot. A twin row will hold up better than the single that the stock one has. But an even better upgrade is a tapered carrier. It costs a little more but its worth it to me. If you dont have the money for either you can get some to replace the stock ones on ebay for $15 for both bearings. Maybe it would hold you over until you could get something better.

shok47
10-22-2008, 10:37 PM
I have read that the tapered carriers take away some power. True or not?

Well I know the bearings are ganna be toast but if I do ride it for say 4 more times whats it ganna hurt other than the carrier? Since I would be getting a new carrier and the internals.

78ta
10-22-2008, 11:21 PM
fix it now before it cost you a bunch!!! The chain can come off if there is enough play in the axle and could possibly slam into the engine case and break it!

shok47
10-22-2008, 11:53 PM
now your scaring me!

anyway, you should have seen my friends 400ex, the bearing were probably gone. He could wobble that thing a hundred different ways. But yeah, I will look for twin row carrier.

What about tapered? Does it take some power away?

drew416ex
10-23-2008, 02:45 PM
If its adjusted correctly, it wont. It rolls just as freely as ball bearings. I have had mine for 4-5 years now and the bearings are still just like new.

shok47
10-23-2008, 03:09 PM
if I go with tapered, will the aftermarket locknuts do more justice?

drew416ex
10-23-2008, 04:04 PM
The aftermarket is a little better, but the stock stuff works fine.

ned02
10-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Replace it before it actually goes,Mine just did and I have to replace the carrier,chain,sprocket hub and I don't know what else yet.