PDA

View Full Version : Carpenter Apprentice

Jake250ex
10-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Any carpeneters out there? Im 19, and have been working in body shops the last few years and just lost my full time job I had at the last shop I was at, and I'm thinking its time to start looking for a career.

My dads friends is trying to get me on as a carpenters apprntice. I guess you do a 4 year apprentiship and by the end of it your at almost 40 an hour and have an associates degree.

Im down for it but I have no experince and Im not feeling confident about the skills accessment test and the written test. Id kinda like to volunteer and be a carpenters helper so I dont go in clueless.

What do you guys think?

dpizz450
10-21-2008, 06:43 PM
theres always room for learning. i think you should go ahead and take the test. worst case scenario, you fail. then you can go be a helper for a while till you learn about the trade and go back and take your test. just my two cents. good luck.

ZeroLogic
10-21-2008, 07:34 PM
I work with a carpenter. I believe the only way learning this trade is if your actually doing the hands on part. You can read and read and read but that still won't make you hit a nail with your hammer right on.

quad59
10-22-2008, 05:33 AM
Commercial or residential work? I did it for 2 years while I was waiting in some things for the job I have now. It was fun because I worked for a good company and the guys were all awesome. It was hard work but its easier when there is good people around. I kind of miss doing it, money was great. My brother runs work for the comapny he works for and has been doing it for 12 years. He always said Ia good carpenter never gets laid off. Work hard make a name for yourself as a good worker and should always have a job. Try learning some of the basics from the internet, terminology, gain a vocabulary so you at least know what they are talking about. Hands on will show you technique but it will be easier if they dont have to explain every little thing to you.

sunco
10-22-2008, 06:54 PM
real quick - been a carpenter for 26 years. who I change - yes - probably be an electrician instead. Construction will take a told on your boby long term. My advice - thing of a job that recession proof. Then see what jobs are related to that field. You could be a carpenter working for a hospital ..............

Good luck - just having a job is a great thing

ZeroLogic
10-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by sunco
Good luck - just having a job is a great thing

Ain't that the truth. Read as much as you can: 16/24 OC, rafters, different types of material, 16 OC, angles, 16 OC, degrees, learn how to read a tape, 16 OC.:p

sunco
10-23-2008, 05:16 AM
do as little as possible for the most amount of money as you can.

Ya gotta look the part too.

The ole ford country squire & a ladder on top just won't do it.

Its an image thing if ya want the big bucks

Nate Dogg #76
10-23-2008, 06:30 PM
I have been a carpenter for 15 years and currently a foreman over a 4 man crew. We build new homes only. The work was fun when I was 19, but now its just a job. The homes we build are complex designs ane require alot of brain work. You will be outside during cold winters and hot summers. The contractors and realtors will make all the $$ while you do the work! I suggest a different career. That the way it is here in Tennessee.

ZeroLogic
10-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Summer ain't to bad if you don't mind sweating. Just bring lots and lotttss of water.

Winter is where it sucks. All your tools are ice cold, glue/caulk is always frozen. All your joints start to freeze up and sting. Don't get me started with the vinyl.:scary:

quad59
10-24-2008, 05:20 AM
dude work commercial construction there is no money in homes.

boosted3g
10-24-2008, 08:16 AM
If you want to work in construction be something other than a carpenter. There are already too many of them in an economy that is slowing down. Pick a trade that takes more training and in more of demand.