PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying paintball markers

quad59
10-21-2008, 12:18 PM
The wife and I are talking about getting into paintball. I've been looking into getting some stuff but dont know alot about it. Any advice?? Anybody want to trade a good marker for LTR goodies looking for an a-5

FreekShow
10-21-2008, 02:04 PM
what kind of paintball are you looking to get into? how much money do you have to spend?

spanky101
10-21-2008, 08:24 PM
paintball can get to bed a very very expensive hobby also, thats for sure. what kind of money are you looking to spend on a marker?

10-21-2008, 08:42 PM
i have a gun, mask, c02 tank, 2 barrels, and a case for it all that i'm trying to sell. i litterally used the gun twice because the land we played on was torn down before i could use my stuff more. So it sat for some time in my closet in the case. I still have 500 paintblls un opened but I guess from sitting for a while i think a few broke. If your interested we could work something out. Its not the best gun but deffinately works fine. Its a Viewloader Orion.

10-21-2008, 10:11 PM
If you're going to be playing nothing but woodsball an A-5 or a 98 is a decent choice, however if you're going to an airball field do not buy a Tippmann. If you're looking to play on a field look into a Smart Parts ION, and if you want to make it a weekend thing then look into buying an Eclipse E-Tek or similar. An ION without hopper, air tank, etc you're looking around $150, but if you're serious about playing an E-Tek will run you about $500 brand new. My advice would be buy a used marker. You can find a used E-Tek for around $300 or so and a used ION for about $100 if not less.

Hope my .02 helps.

quad59
10-22-2008, 05:00 AM
I have played with rentals before on the manmade fields and I dont really like it that much. Its ok to do in the winter at the indoor joints. My buddy has a natural woods area set up in his backyard. He has about 10-20 friends come over twice a month to play. I never played with them before because we were always racing. I have been looking at alot of used A-5's you can get a nice one around here thats had little use with the flatline barrel,response trigger, and folding stock for around 200.00. I'm not looking to spend a fortune I'm just looking to get 2 people set up for recreation play in the woods.

krt400ex
10-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by quad59
I have played with rentals before on the manmade fields and I dont really like it that much. Its ok to do in the winter at the indoor joints. My buddy has a natural woods area set up in his backyard. He has about 10-20 friends come over twice a month to play. I never played with them before because we were always racing. I have been looking at alot of used A-5's you can get a nice one around here thats had little use with the flatline barrel,response trigger, and folding stock for around 200.00. I'm not looking to spend a fortune I'm just looking to get 2 people set up for recreation play in the woods.

A-5 is an excellent choice. i got one and i love it.

a few recommendations though, dont buy a folding stock. not worth it. get a dogleg stock. it kinda curves around so that you can sight up without your face mask getting in the way. great investment IMO. i got one on my A-5. another things is that the flatline isnt really worth it unless you are doing alot of long range shooting. i have a CMI 14" pig barrel and i murder my buddy with the flatline in close range. he gets me in long range, but the difference isnt enough that i would invest in one. they sound cool though, like a 9mm hand gun.

dont buy a longer barrel than a 16" because it will begin to bring your range down because the ball looses velocity in a really long barrel. i have shot a 14" and a 16", and i prefer the 14". it is easier in tight spaces and in and out of trees.

another thing that would be worth buying would be a remote line for your co2 or compressed air tank. it allows you to put your tank on your back. this makes your gun much more versatile. if you dont do this, then dont bother with the stock as one or the other will just get in the way.

here is a pic or two of my gun.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/100_1908.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/100_1907.jpg

i also have a spec ops foregrip which was a huge improvement for me. well well worth it. it looks sexy too.

10-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
dont buy a longer barrel than a 16" because it will begin to bring your range down because the ball looses velocity in a really long barrel. i have shot a 14" and a 16", and i prefer the 14". it is easier in tight spaces and in and out of trees.

You have no idea what you are talking about... An 18" barrel would shoot accurately atleast 50-100 ft. farther than your 14" and 16" barrel does. Go into a shop and ask them if you need verification. I played PB for 3 years in D3

krt400ex
10-23-2008, 07:45 AM
i really dont want to strt an argument here, but in alot of threads...especially paintball threads, you have been coming across as a pompus a**.

and im sorry, but you are wrong with an 18" barrel

bwamos
10-23-2008, 08:11 AM
It completely depends on the barrel.

If it's a solid barrel with the flashbreak at the end the 18" barrel could potentially shoot further if (and this is a BIG if) you can keep ball spin under control.

If it's a barrel w/ venting the full length of the barrel, you'll loose speed in the barrel, however you adjust the velocity of the gun based on the speed of the ball exiting the barrel. So that point is really moot. Longer barrels don't affect ball speed, because you adjust the speed up to the correct level.

Paintball barels aren't rifled like a rifle, they shoot like an old flintlock black powder gun. The old flintlocks had a long barrel because of the wide tolerances of ball to barrel match. Sure some tout their "rifled venting" but it's a gimmick. A straight row of venting works just as well. If you match the paint properly to the barrel in a paintball gun there is really no need for a barrel any longer than 12-14".

Paint uniformity, spin control, and paint to barrel match are the most important factors of an accurately shooting paintball gun.

quad59
10-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Went to the shop last night and the guy was great. Got alot questions answered and I know alittle better what I want except for the bottle. Basically what I hear is flatline barrels suck, no more than 14" is worth anything, get the a-5 or 98 for woods. We are going to get 2 a-5's just not sold on the tank set up yet. I thought I wanted a remote setup but my buddy says he didnt like his becasue when hes crawling around and stuff the line gets snagged alot. Trying to decide on a large tank with a remote or a bunch of 20 oz ers on the gun...??

spanky101
10-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Nova
You have no idea what you are talking about... An 18" barrel would shoot accurately atleast 50-100 ft. farther than your 14" and 16" barrel does. Go into a shop and ask them if you need verification. I played PB for 3 years in D3

Not to cal you out or anything Nova, just asking what d3 team you played on with a 18" barrel?

Also whoever stated that you would lose velocity by having a 18" barrel is incorrect. You are supposed to set your marker to 300fps without going over, so usually 285-290 is a good mark so if your co2 spikes and jacks up the pressure you stay under but its your planning on playing in the winter time co2 can be a pain in the butt to keep the velocity consistant. But you can adjust your velocity so you will be shooting 300fps with an 18" barrel, and you will more then likley have to adjust if you go down to a 14" barrel or whatever length you desire.

bwamos
10-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by quad59
Trying to decide on a large tank with a remote or a bunch of 20 oz ers on the gun...??

A compressed air underarm setup is pretty light and actually balances the gun out so it's not at nose heavy and is easier to shoot on the move, IMHO.

krt400ex
10-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by spanky101

Also whoever stated that you would lose velocity by having a 18" barrel is incorrect. You are supposed to set your marker to 300fps without going over, so usually 285-290 is a good mark so if your co2 spikes and jacks up the pressure you stay under but its your planning on playing in the winter time co2 can be a pain in the butt to keep the velocity consistant. But you can adjust your velocity so you will be shooting 300fps with an 18" barrel, and you will more then likley have to adjust if you go down to a 14" barrel or whatever length you desire.

that is true. i didnt take that into consideration.

Quad 59, i have never had a problem with my remote line snagging. infact, the reason i like it so much is because it makes it easier to crawl on the ground and sight up while you are on you stomach IMO...but that is just me.

10-23-2008, 04:28 PM
all my stuff for sale $85, gun, 2 barrels, c02 tank, mask, case for it all. i'll probally throw in those 500 paintballs never opened event hough a few broke in the sealed bag there are a lot good and you can have fun right away

spanky101
10-23-2008, 04:29 PM
im not trying to step on anyones toes or anything man, ive been playing paintball for about 5 years. you know experience is knowledge

KwAdUp
10-24-2008, 08:25 AM
I have played paint ball for 3 years. 2 years woods ball and 1 year speedball. I have learned alot through thos years. When i was in the woods i used a tippman a-5 with response trigger and every thing stock. Used c02 and regular paintballs. I even had the stock barrel and ill tell you i did pretty good. I mean i never had a problem once with it. Now with speedball. i had an ion. I HATED IT. sold that bought a pmr with halo b hopper and a crossfire compressed air tank. The whole gun was stock. I loved this gun. Never let me down it was awesome. i would even consider this in the woods. Now for co2 over compressed air. It makes a big differnce. In the long run compressed is cheaper because im a fire fighter and i use there air system to fill my tank. It shoots more acturatley. The winter you dont have to worry about it turning to liquid form and being to cool. I say pay the extra for the compressed air. Now my hopper was friggin excelletn to. But you get a a-5 then youy dont have to worry about it. Hope this hellped. But i say for woods go with the a-5's

KwAdUp
10-24-2008, 08:29 AM
I forgot to mention the thing about paintballs. DONT BUY CHEAP ONES!!! There a waste of money and break and are just crappy.Spend a lil more and get better ones. I was using evils and there awesome. never had one break. They do have ones for woodsball i have heard are better. There thicker so little brush wont break them.

416exfreak
10-24-2008, 08:29 AM
This is a nub question...

But for those of you who play paintball (ive never played, but would love to) how do you aim?

I mean, doesn't the hopper get in the way of your vision?

Maybe someone can explain it in an easy-to-understand way.:)

Mean250r
10-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Nova

Oh boyyy D3 thats hard to get into right? basically just write your name down and your in.

I play D2 NPPL and PSP on the east coast. I shoot and Etek EGO and your your wrong pal. the 18 inch will be more accurate but it will not shoot as far.

18 inch barrel? wtf why yould you use that anyway? :huh

quad59
10-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Definately have my mind made up it going to be a-5s on hpa. I'm just looking for places and people tp play with so I'm not wasting my money with nobody to shoot at. Any body play in ohio with and hour and half of medina, woodsball field or private.

10-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by spanky101
Not to cal you out or anything Nova, just asking what d3 team you played on with a 18" barrel?

I never said I used an 18" barrel. lol. I played for SLT- Salt Lake Tension.

10-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by KwAdUp
sold that bought a pmr with halo b hopper and a crossfire compressed air tank. The whole gun was stock. I loved this gun. Never let me down it was awesome. i would even consider this in the woods.

If you're playing woods ball don't waist your money on a PMR... Well whether it's speedball or woodsball, just don't buy it. It was Dye's cheap way of trying to compete with the ION and they failed horribly. 70% of this gun is plastic... I have seen kids buy them and break them the same day. You can rant and rave about how you have yet to break it but that just tells me you have never played tourney ball.

TWISTED
10-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Choosing the Tippmanns was a VERY wise choice for your first gun... I've been playing since '91 and have used everything under the sun.... Tippmann makes a very reliable gun... as you progress, you can weigh your options... Also starting out with compressed air is a smart move too!!! Have fun and remember to enjoy yourself!!!!

KwAdUp
10-24-2008, 12:33 PM
are you kidding me? i have to played tourney. i don't anymore. That gun was awesome. maybe i got the good one out of the bunch. never had a problem with it. anyways ion suck

quad59
10-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Our biggest hold up was trying to find somewhere close to play year round and get use out of our equipment. My buddy has matches at his house but they get flacky and I did not want to have to rely on them for a place to play. We have a couple inddor parks but alos a nice outdoor setup that is open year round. So i think next weekend we are going to go get our guns. I think we are gettting a decent deal 2 guns A-5s, 4-48ci pure energy steel tanks,and 2 remote lines for 600.00. All equipment is new from the local store.

416exfreak
10-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Compressed air, could be obtained from an air compressor?

(thats a question)

Im just curious, because seeing this and reading this thread has me very intrested in getting into woodsball.

krt400ex
10-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Compressed air, could be obtained from an air compressor?

(thats a question)

Im just curious, because seeing this and reading this thread has me very intrested in getting into woodsball.

not your average compressor. compressed air tanks are either 3000 or 4500 psi. most air compressors run only 150 psi

spanky101
10-24-2008, 06:13 PM
yah, you cant be trying to fill it from your air compressor, i wish it woulda been that easy when i played but if you go to most feilds you get unlimited fills for the day at a flat rate. That 48ci proboly wont last you too long man, id imagine around 500-700 shots maybe because a5's arent the most air efficient :blah: i know from experience, they are super reliable tho man!