PDA

View Full Version : Sportsman 90 ?

ww228king
10-21-2008, 05:45 AM
ok people.. this may seem crazy, but here it goes..
just got a 2003 Polaris Sportsman dropped off at my home Sunday. It was free! It even had enough mud caked up on it to fill all the holes in my driveway...lol It was really dirty and still is. After about 15 mins at the car wash and about 30 mins with the water hose, it got were I can see the frame. The problem is.... it was not running.
First, it was the battery. I jump started it with my truck and after about 5 mins of choking and un choking it finnally started.
It was running rought at first, but started to idle good.
The people that gave it to us said it has not ran in two years and when it was running it lost power and would shut off.
I started to ride it around the yard and it was sick, very sick.
It had no bottom end and once it started to move on a long straight away, it would top out at like 15 or 20. My son's 70cc Mongoose seems like a 200cc compared to this 90cc...lol
The one thing that cought my attention from the beginning was how fast the motor was turning over. I mean when you hit the start button, it was turning over really fast. Alot faster than my son's Kymco has ever turned over. I am wondering if the Polaris just has a fast starter or is the compression low. I broke my compression tool last month so can't check it right now. The jumper on the CDI has been removed. And one other thing that grabbed my attention.. are the sportsman 90s suppose to be really quiet... it just has this low low purrr...I just want to make sure that I am correct on something....does this 90cc has the same topend as all the other JOG 90s... like Kasea, DRR, Dinli, ect.. I think I am going to change the topend anyway and see what happens. This quad will be given to my girl friends son to ride around the yard and around the fields...like I said.. it is a Sportsman 90 not a racer...lol So a standard topend will work find. I still have alot of cleaning to do on this thing. So where is a good cheap topend for this thing? Thanks

10-21-2008, 07:33 AM
yes the engines are the same as the jog motor. in your statement you wanted to know wheres the best place to buy top end kit. well with that motor your crank should be a 42 mm crank with a 52 mm bore. now i guess the question is are you looking for a national motor, mild motor, or stock? and what size are you looking for you have 52, 53, 54 mm motors.thats with out changing cranks. nice piece you picked up..

ww228king
10-21-2008, 07:37 AM
thanks... just a standard stock would be fine....
I have seen some on fleabay for about $170 that come with a cylinder, piston, ring, and gaskets that I was looking at...
Thanks for info.. now I know where I am heading...

10-21-2008, 07:46 AM
i can get you a brand new kit with everything for 75.00 plus your shipping which would be about 95.00 total to your door. just trying to help.

ww228king
10-21-2008, 07:51 AM
hold that thought...
just send an email to someone, right as you made that post...lol

Nichols Atvs
10-21-2008, 08:00 AM
If your going to keep it stock then just pick up a set of rings and gaskets and hone the cylinder. Should be able to fix it for under $75.00 thats incluing the new plug. and get this boy out there he needs to ride.

10-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Nichols Atvs
If your going to keep it stock then just pick up a set of rings and gaskets and hone the cylinder. Should be able to fix it for under $75.00 thats incluing the new plug. and get this boy out there he needs to ride. yes you cold and yes he does. good luck