View Full Version : Leaky Headpipe

gojk
10-20-2008, 10:44 PM
I have a PT Eliminator 98 Race pipe with a FMF TC2, and when the engine gets in the upper RPMs I can see the head pipe move slightly away from the cylinder thus letting exhaust escape where the pipe mates with the cylinder.

First off, these seems very bad to me, correct?

Second, what should I do to try and fix the problem. I already have 2 strong springs pulling the pipe to the cylinder. Do I need a new exhaust flange?

norcalduner
10-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Seen it happen even with a new flange. Here's a cheap fix you can try. Apply Permatex Hi-Temp silicone RTV "orange" gasket maker #26B on the pipe side mating surface to at least eliminate the exhaust gases/oil from coming out.

trx310R#24
10-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by norcalduner
Seen it happen even with a new flange. Here's a cheap fix you can try. Apply Permatex Hi-Temp silicone RTV "orange" gasket maker #26B on the pipe side mating surface to at least eliminate the exhaust gases/oil from coming out.

maybe try 3 springs at once... maybe 4..

but thats what i did... just let it sit for the 24 hours... some guy put the stuff on his pipe an jumped on his quad an the silicome some how got sucked into the motor...

C-LEIGH RACING
10-22-2008, 07:49 AM
You sure you dont have something blocking the outlet of the pipe.
Pipes dont normally blow off the cylinder with the proper lenght & tention of springs.
Check that silencer out real good make sure the inner tubes not broke loose & blocking the outlet, seen that happen lots of times.
Pipes blowing off come from built up presure & sometimes back fireing.
Neil