PDA

View Full Version : namura pistons

bdtoady22
10-20-2008, 06:59 PM
is anyone runnin one of these? 69.99 on ebay i like wiseco but was thinking about this one any comments would be appreciated

flauge
10-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Only thing I know is that they are cast instead of forged like Wiseco and JE which would probably make them a lil heavier...One feature I like is the side coating... Other than that I haven't heard anything else about them.:ermm:

10-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by flauge
Only thing I know is that they are cast instead of forged like Wiseco and JE which would probably make them a lil heavier...One feature I like is the side coating... Other than that I haven't heard anything else about them.:ermm:

Cast is actually much lighter, but there is always a trade-off. Being lighter also makes them weaker.

The wiesco pro-lite uses a much lighter wrist pin, but make it strong by not letting it too open. Like the rod fits perfectly between the piston isstead of having space on the side of the rod.

Wiesco tried and true.. Stronger, light for a forged piston, and Namura doesn't have the greatest rep.

10-22-2008, 02:11 PM
forged is always stronger than cast.

flauge
10-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
Cast is actually much lighter, but there is always a trade-off. Being lighter also makes them weaker.

The wiesco pro-lite uses a much lighter wrist pin, but make it strong by not letting it too open. Like the rod fits perfectly between the piston isstead of having space on the side of the rod.

Wiesco tried and true.. Stronger, light for a forged piston, and Namura doesn't have the greatest rep.
I stand corrected on that one, I always thought forged was lighter up until I looked up on it... But I have heard that the Namuras are still a bit heavier than wiseco or JE.. Maybe it could be the coating adding a lil weight??

10-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by flauge
I stand corrected on that one, I always thought forged was lighter up until I looked up on it... But I have heard that the Namuras are still a bit heavier than wiseco or JE.. Maybe it could be the coating adding a lil weight??

The coatings a bunch of BS anyway..

My dad had a set of WSM's a while back in his banshee with the same coating. He had to tear it back down for other reasons but the coatings on the piston were gone after one ride. It's a gimmick to sell them.

Ever since he runs nothing but wiesco:D

flauge
10-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Yea, I heard that too on the coatings. Its a good idea tho, but I'm afraid that Namura and Wsm didn't follow thru completly..lol
I've thought about getting a Wiseco or JE and sending it to somewhere like Swaintech to get a real coating, not only on the skirt but on the dome as well...I'm not sure on it still, I'm kinda scared that the stuff wont get along with our wet clutches if that stuff starts to wear over time...

boosted3g
10-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Swains coatings will not wear off. I ran methanol with a ton of boost in my drag car and it was looking like new when i tore it down. Even the side skirts of the pistons still had the coating on.

hypersnyper6947
10-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Is that like nikasil plating

flauge
10-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Not exactly.. More like an anti friction coating for the skirts..;)
I'm liking the idea of the thermal barrier coating on the dome and even combustion chamber and valve faces too, just don't know if going that far is a good thing for an air cooled engine tho..
I'll probably just stick with just the skirt and dome coating...
Here ya go www.swaintech.com