PDA

View Full Version : Have CR250R reed cage, worth going to Boyesen Rad Valve?

YFZRob
10-20-2008, 04:25 PM
I know the discussion comes up often about the best reed cage set up on our 250Rs, but I wanted to ask a little more specific question. I have an OEM CR250 reed cage that I got from ESR (not sure what year...bought it 3 years ago and they just told me today "maybe 2001"). I was going to replace the reeds on that cage with the Boyesen Pro Series reeds, but the part number is different from 98 to 99-00, and 2001. 89-98 are all the same, but they changed for 2001 and 99-00. SO, I am considering just buying a rad valve instead of playing the guessing game with which reed cage I have when buying replacement reeds.

My reason for replacement is the fact that these CR250 reeds are 3 years old (only about 30 or so hours though) and I want to maintain/add as much bottom end response as possible since I'm racing my 250R in hare scrambles.

SO, if you were in my shoes would you play that game and start off ordering 2001 replacement pro-series reeds for $60 or is the $90-110 extra worth it for just buying a TRX Rad Valve? I see that the trx rad valve is the way to go and get Boyesen to supply a carb boot that will fit the 38mm carb so you don't have spacing issues with the airbox.

I have a C-leigh ported stock jug, ESR head (175 psi), 38mm A/S carb, and a FMF fatty pipe.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

norcalduner
10-20-2008, 04:44 PM
I personally did the switch from a CR250 reed cage supplied with my CT motor to a rad valve and noticed more bottom end as I can "lug" it in the bottom and not stall. But then again my porting is a mx port so I guess it just seem to make sense for the switch. You will need to use a reed spacer though if your using the stock airbox. I also think the $50 or so price difference is negligible compared to the peace of mind of having something new specially when your racing. Hope this helps.

BTW the difference with the TRX rad valve and the CR rad valve is simply the angle going into the carb SO like I said, you will still need a spacer.

250Renvy
10-20-2008, 05:08 PM
The option I went for was to get the boyesen rad valve and put the non-carbon fibre reeds in it. The carbon fibre reeds tend to wear quickly. I got mine used so they were kinda spent when I got it.

Just something else to consider about the boyesen.

I'm not sure if that'll make a difference if you buy new, as I just checked boyesen's site and see they don't have the carbon reeds on the rad valve anymore.

rustyATV
10-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Just FYI: You can sneak a Boyesen Rad Valve for a 97 CR250 on to the 250R. The CR Rad valve is larger for CR's 38mm carb, whereas the TRX Rad valve is sized for a 34mm carb.

I recently went from a 97 CR Honda reed cage to the 97 CR Boyesen, but also built a totally new motor so I can't really compare.

YFZRob
10-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I suppose I'll order up a rad valve this week. In my searching, I read where someone ordered from Boyesen directly and got a TRX rad valve but a coupler that allowed fitment with a 38mm carb...something they set up specifically for this guy when he ordered. I may give them a call and see what they suggest for a TRX running a 38mm carb. I'd rather run the TRX rad valve than a CR w/ spacer if possible...one less potential area for an air leak and one less gasket to replace during rebuilds and reed replacement.

I just stumbled across a c-leigh suggestion for a FTZ reed cage. I'm assuming this is a modified rad valve, or maybe their own but one that uses the same reeds as the rad valve? FTZ "high velocity reed cage" (http://www.ftzracing.com/images/AtvPorting.pdf)

1promodfan
10-20-2008, 08:20 PM
I just put a Rad valve on my bike.........this week,and I could tell a difference in the bottom-end. Even when I was "putting" around, I could tell the power-band wanted to go ahead and come in. The throttle response is a lot better as well. I hope this helps. If you have any question just ask.

86 Quad R
10-21-2008, 08:14 AM
i've ran the RAD valve for years and have been very happy with it. you can get the RAD for the TRX new with the boot to fit the 38mm dia. carb. and you dont have to get one for a CR to make it work. :cool:

YFZRob
10-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
i've ran the RAD valve for years and have been very happy with it. you can get the RAD for the TRX new with the boot to fit the 38mm dia. carb. and you dont have to get one for a CR to make it work. :cool:

Great, I thought I read that somewhere. I just got one ordered up with a boot for the 38 PWK, but the rad valve for the TRX.

Thanks again guys!

86 Quad R
10-21-2008, 10:16 AM
not a problem. it's been awhile but i'm purdy sure that the new rad's come with carbon fiber top reeds and they deteriate rather quickly. i'd suggest that you order a set of r-19 "all" fiberglass replacements. :cool:

YFZRob
10-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
not a problem. it's been awhile but i'm purdy sure that the new rad's come with carbon fiber top reeds and they deteriate rather quickly. i'd suggest that you order a set of r-19 "all" fiberglass replacements. :cool:

The pro-series that are included should last me a season though, right? I don't mind replacing them once a season, particularly since my top end will have around 30-40 hours on it after this season is up, so I will be planning a rebuild anyway and can swap them over then.