PDA

View Full Version : Ford Ranger engines and milage?

Stevie-D
10-20-2008, 02:58 PM
ive been out of work and about everything else for the last 3 months, and have been kicking around the idea of selling my old firebird. its a 91 Formula with a 305 auto. 170k on the old girl. still runs like a champ and all, but i traded my 440ex for it early in the summer and never got around to putting the darn thing on the road. with my poor driving record i'd be taking it up the arse with insurance on it, so it sits.
my dodge half ton is only getting around 14 miles to the gallon, and i've wanted a little beater to putz around in. not to mention i live way out in the sticks on top of a hill. winters get sketchy and i dont want my girlfriend driving her POS cobalt around in the snow. so i figure i can give her that to skoot around with when the chit hits the fan around here.

so long story short, i found a 93 Ranger out in Belvedere for sale at a dealer. he wants pics of my firebird and is considering an even trade for it. has a 6 cylinder in it, and a 5 speed stick:macho
not positive, but i think that there were 2 6 cylinder motors that were available for these trucks? what kind of milage can i expect out of a truck like this? it's a standard cab short bed flareside 4X4. what about front suspension? IFS? coilovers? torsion bars? can anyone familiar with rangers give me the low down on them?

i've never owned a ford, and am kinda leary bout them, maybe someone can put me on the bandwagon here

Stevie-D
10-20-2008, 03:06 PM
heres a few pics of the truck

Stevie-D
10-20-2008, 03:07 PM

FreekShow
10-20-2008, 03:46 PM
dont know about the 93's but i had a 91 with a 4 cylinder 5 speed and it was absolutely horrible on gas.

SRH
10-20-2008, 03:56 PM
the 2.3 is super reliable and 2.3 stick gets 20-30 and lasts for 200k miles plus great trucks the v 6 is bad on gas but good power in the 4.0 and the 3 is ok average vehicle

SRH
10-20-2008, 04:02 PM
by the way the 4.0 only gets about14 mpg and the 3.0 gets about 16mpg there the only v 6 offered my 2.3 auto gets 18 city and 22 highway so unless you go 2.3 stick you wont save much

yellow400ex05
10-20-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm maybe a mile or two from this dealer. I don't particulalry like this dealer because my friend bought a crappy ford centurion there and I've seen trucks just before they went on sale that couldn't idle worth a damn. But if and when you do look at this truck look it over well and drive it a little bit before you trade.

BTW Do you have any pictures of your firebird?

ZeroLogic
10-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Lets see some pictures of the Dodge.:chinese:

10-20-2008, 05:27 PM
do yourself a favor and buy a yota. toyota tacoma better on gas and it will easily outlast the danger ranger. plus the old tacoma if you put it on some swampers they float. The trucks wont sink its crazy you can just paddle through the water without it getting in.

Kickstarts-suck
10-20-2008, 05:44 PM
"The Ford Ranger Short Bed STX and the 2007 Mazda B2300 B-Series
are tied at the top of the list of small pickup trucks with the best gas mileage. Both of these trucks get 24 mpg in the city and 29 mpg on the freeway.

The next truck in the list is the 2007 Toyota Tacoma I-4 Manual, which gets 23 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway. The Chevrolet Colorado LS also receives good gas mileage, getting 20 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway. The last truck on the list, the GMC Canyon, also gets 20 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway."

Truck looks good I would def trade for a non road worthy car. It will either have the 3.0 v6 or 4.0 v6 like said above.

Stevie-D
10-20-2008, 06:28 PM
i'll have pics of the firebird tomorrow afternoon. im still on doctors orders not to drive til he releases me, so i have to wait for the woman to get off work and drive me over to my mothers property where the car still sits. there's not a darned thing wrong with it. i took it down the road when i first picked it up, and she'll chirp the tires decently going into second and third. definately a fun car, but i'll hurt myself with it, so its got to go.

for zerologic: heres the old dodge truck...
http://a792.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/39/l_bd8912a77f8141eccb2c5aa61fbf6e0f.jpg

and a photo of the new dodge i picked up last winter. i've since torn the race flag decal off the back window, tinted all of them, added a backrack with 2 lights on it, a toolbox, CIA, and an exhaust. no recent pics of it on this computer though
http://a316.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/55/l_4123be23af1a114a92c586e00974991b.jpg

http://a86.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/42/l_b8826338bc3d56f7143517504250aafd.jpg

ZeroLogic
10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm not a Dodge man but I'm diggin that 1/2 ton.:macho

Wheelie
10-20-2008, 07:58 PM
I drive a 99 Ranger XLT Extended cab 4wd with a 3.0 and a 5spd. It regularly knocks down 19-20mpg mixed driving and it got 23mpg freeway yesterday hauling my quad cruising between 70-75 the entire 285 mile trip.

If you buy a Ranger with the small 6, make sure it's a stick and not an auto. Also make sure it has 3.55's or 3.73s.

hardkoratvmxr
10-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Owning a 4.0 v6 extended cab 4x4 fleetside i get around 21mpg. the 4.0 will have the most power and the 3.0 is just a downright turd to say the least. i say go for it. insurance should be cheap and gas mileage good if regular maintenance is kept up with it

mittman
10-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
i'll have pics of the firebird tomorrow afternoon. im still on doctors orders not to drive til he releases me, so i have to wait for the woman to get off work and drive me over to my mothers property where the car still sits. there's not a darned thing wrong with it. i took it down the road when i first picked it up, and she'll chirp the tires decently going into second and third. definately a fun car, but i'll hurt myself with it, so its got to go.

for zerologic: heres the old dodge truck...
http://a792.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/39/l_bd8912a77f8141eccb2c5aa61fbf6e0f.jpg

and a photo of the new dodge i picked up last winter. i've since torn the race flag decal off the back window, tinted all of them, added a backrack with 2 lights on it, a toolbox, CIA, and an exhaust. no recent pics of it on this computer though
http://a316.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/55/l_4123be23af1a114a92c586e00974991b.jpg

http://a86.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/42/l_b8826338bc3d56f7143517504250aafd.jpg

got any old parts laying around for your old dodge. i got a 85 w150 that i think im going to restore. send me a pm of what you got might be able to give you some more cash and stuff out of your way

greenblood01
10-21-2008, 11:33 AM
I had a 95 Ranger supercab 2.3L 5speed. Being extended cab it had the 3.73 rear end, where the regular cabs usually have 3.55s. I had mine from 105k to 150k and hardly had a problem with it. It got 20-23mpg, but never did much better.

deathman53
10-21-2008, 12:29 PM
I had a v6 4.0 4x4 and most of the opinions, don't remember the gear ratio, but it got 14-15 mpg, nothing better. I now have a nission frontier 2.3? and f350 7.3 v8 diseal. The nission get about 23 mpg and the f350 gets better gas mileage than the ranger(not by much).

Flyin_250r
10-21-2008, 04:04 PM
I have that exact same truck. Colour and everything. They are good trucks. Gas mileage isnt the greatest. Its more than likely got the 4.0 in it. 4x4 push button, which sometimes causes problems. I know the solenoids for the 4x4s are sometimes a pain. Ive had a few problems with the brakes on mine, but it was mostly the previous owners doing. Since ive redid them everythings been good. I cant complain at all about the truck. The 4.0s tick like a sob at times, but thats a ford thing it seems. Ive got 227kms on my truck and it runs like a champ, but all regular maintaince and then some is done to the truck. So it all depends on the truck itself. the old Rangers rust out big time on the tailgate and the Factory clearcoat is ****.

And also, insurance is cheap!!!!!

bean2080
10-21-2008, 07:50 PM
i have a 2.5 4cyl 5speed and i love it. it dont have power by any means but i get 25mpg and thats all i care about. i love rangers, they are nice little trucks. i dont really care for the auto ones but theres nothing wrong with them.

KXRida
10-21-2008, 08:58 PM
so long story short, i found a 93 Ranger out in Belvedere for sale at a dealer. he wants pics of my firebird and is considering an even trade for it. has a 6 cylinder in it, and a 5 speed stick:macho
not positive, but i think that there were 2 6 cylinder motors that were available for these trucks? what kind of milage can i expect out of a truck like this? it's a standard cab short bed flareside 4X4. what about front suspension? IFS? coilovers? torsion bars? can anyone familiar with rangers give me the low down on them?

i've never owned a ford, and am kinda leary bout them, maybe someone can put me on the bandwagon here

Ok here's a quick run through of the rangers.

You're 93 you're looking at has either a 2.9, 3.0, or 4.0. Most likely a 2.9 or 3.0. You do want a stick. The auto's in them tend to be junk and burn up. Mileage you'd be looking roughly 15-20ish I'm guessing seeing that it doesn't have stock tires. Find out what gears are in it as well. Most likely either 3.45's, 3.55's, or 3.73's. Some ranger's also came with a special package containing 4.10's, so check the axle tag. Your year of ranger is a generation III. Beside some parts, almost all parts will swap in from an 83-97 ranger. The mazada B series are also the same trucks. Suspension wise up front it has a twin traction beam dana 35. You may have seen the abbreviation TTB, that is what it stands for. Out back you're going to have a spring over? set up with either an 8.8 or a 7.5. The push button 4x4 is alright, but I'm not a fan. I prefer the manual hubs. The lock a little better and have less play in them reducing axle shaft breakage. If you plan on doing any wheeling with it, let me know and I'll give you a few tips.

Overall good machines. Your generation probably has the best aftermarket available to it. Lost of long travel kits available too. Keep an eye on your body panels for rust. When you wash your truck, pay special attention to the very end of the bed sides. They have a lip on them that loves to hold LOTS of mud and dirt. Keep an eye on the cab corners, under the doors, and rear quarters. Those are usually the first to start to rust.

As far as mileage, I have almost 150,000 on mine. I've seen upwards of 400,000 on rangers. There is a fleet ranger running around town with 400,000+ miles on it.

Here's mine... Just ordered new rims for it yesterday. I'm hoping the snatch up the 396 out of my brother's ranger when he does his big block swap.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/ranger9.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/ranger6.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/ranger4.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/ranger5-1.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/truck-1.jpg

Stevie-D
10-22-2008, 03:24 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but the TTB setup is basically a 2 link holding the front axle in place with coilsprings and shocks holding it up. correct? i was for some reason under the assumption that they had the old wishbone type axles like the 70's trucks had under them. im not having too much luck finding a spec sheet or diagram of it.

KXRida
10-22-2008, 04:09 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but the TTB setup is basically a 2 link holding the front axle in place with coilsprings and shocks holding it up. correct? i was for some reason under the assumption that they had the old wishbone type axles like the 70's trucks had under them. im not having too much luck finding a spec sheet or diagram of it.

in a sense, yes.

It's two seperate articulating beams with an axle shaft running through the middle of them. There are quite a few TTB's out there. 28, 35, 44, 50 are just to name a few.

Here's a pic of a disassembled D35. Those are not stock radius arms..

http://images.off-roadweb.com/features/0802or_10_z+1997_4wd_ford_ranger_the_sweet_spot+mc neil_off_road_suspension_kit.jpg

extremeblastr
10-23-2008, 03:25 PM
as stated the 93 will either have the 2.9 or 3.0 and if its the 2.9 make sure to take her for a nice ride b4 you trade because this motor is known to be problematic.

Ruby Soho
10-23-2008, 04:52 PM
i got a ranger question

how are the 99's? i got an offer to trade my quad for a 1999 ranger. 5 speed 6-cylinder. has 108,000 miles on it.

any ups/downs to these?

KXRida
10-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
as stated the 93 will either have the 2.9 or 3.0 and if its the 2.9 make sure to take her for a nice ride b4 you trade because this motor is known to be problematic.

how so? The 2.9's are one of ford's most reliable motors? Please elaborate.

10-23-2008, 06:56 PM
i get 20-21MPG towing 2 quads on a trailer with my dads highlander 4 cylinder. the toyota tacoma uses the exact same engine and its lighter so i'm sure you would get even better

Moto49X
10-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
i get 20-21MPG towing 2 quads on a trailer with my dads highlander 4 cylinder. the toyota tacoma uses the exact same engine and its lighter so i'm sure you would get even better

**** toyota. Keep your money (somewhat) in the US. Dodge, Chevy, Ford, nothing else. Leave toyota to the tree huggin fa@#ots with their hyrbids.

10-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Moto49X
**** toyota. Keep your money (somewhat) in the US. Dodge, Chevy, Ford, nothing else. Leave toyota to the tree huggin fa@#ots with their hyrbids.

glad you feel that way. i'll just smile and wave when i pass you in the future and your broken down somewhere.

brian76708
10-23-2008, 09:16 PM
glad you feel that way. i'll just smile and wave when i pass you in the future and your broken down somewhere.

are you kidding me toyota has its fair share of problems the media just never mentions them. I think it was the new tacoma's that the tailgaits were spliting in half whenever you loaded something in the bed toyota's excuse was you are supposed to remove the tailgate when loading such things as QUADS, lawn mowers.

oh yeah heres a link for the tail gates http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f11b1d2

Also http://ezinearticles.com/?Toyota-Truck-Recall:-Tacoma,-4Runner,-Tundra,-and-Sequoia&id=47735

MANY MANY RECALLS

i agrea stick with The big three

KXRida
10-24-2008, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by brian76708
are you kidding me toyota has its fair share of problems the media just never mentions them. I think it was the new tacoma's that the tailgaits were spliting in half whenever you loaded something in the bed toyota's excuse was you are supposed to remove the tailgate when loading such things as QUADS, lawn mowers.

oh yeah heres a link for the tail gates http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f11b1d2

Also http://ezinearticles.com/?Toyota-Truck-Recall:-Tacoma,-4Runner,-Tundra,-and-Sequoia&id=47735

MANY MANY RECALLS

i agrea stick with The big three

Agreed! Look into toyota's buy back program. They are buying back some of their tacoma's (pre 98 I believe or close to it) because of premature rust. I'll have to find the full article, but props for that on their part.

For midsize, you still can't really beat the big three.

Moto49X
10-24-2008, 11:01 AM

Do what you please, support other countries. Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, all junk. The only vehicles that need to be sold in the US are chevy, ford, and dodge.

Of course the Hybrid for tree huggin (insert bad word here).

Check this out, I'm not even a ford guy but still watch.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zRfE_XAk2mE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zRfE_XAk2mE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Moto49X
10-24-2008, 11:03 AM

BTW, I'll take my Cummins and drive right over your little $H!t toyota. Or better yet, grab a chain and lets hook em up. Go buy the biggest truck toyota offers. I'll drag you across town leavin mine in 2wd.

KXRida
10-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
i got a ranger question

how are the 99's? i got an offer to trade my quad for a 1999 ranger. 5 speed 6-cylinder. has 108,000 miles on it.

any ups/downs to these?

2x4 or 4x4? What engine? Get some info on it. If you're planning on lifting it or doing suspension work, it can get rather pricy. The 98+ does not use the TTB setup explained in this thread.

400ex28
10-24-2008, 12:36 PM
BTW, I'll take my Cummins and drive right over your little $H!t toyota. Or better yet, grab a chain and lets hook em up. Go buy the biggest truck toyota offers. I'll drag you across town leavin mine in 2wd.

Haha I like the way you think.

Ruby Soho
10-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
2x4 or 4x4? What engine? Get some info on it. If you're planning on lifting it or doing suspension work, it can get rather pricy. The 98+ does not use the TTB setup explained in this thread.

im waiting for the reply back.. i was planning on doing maybe some larger tires. I would like to lift it but I dont wanna kill the mpg either haha.

KXRida
10-24-2008, 09:24 PM
All depends how you drive it too. If I drive like I normally do, you'd be surprised how much gas that little 2.9 v6 will eat with big tires. On the other hand, if I drive nice and normal, I can get about 140ish-175 on half a tank. For a lifted truck pulling almost 20mpg is pretty damn good, but it's hard to do. To get 175 per half tank, that's extremely light throttle, no hard accels, etc, but it'll do the job. Once I find the money for 4.88's she'll run good.

10-24-2008, 09:37 PM

toyota was planning on a bigger dually or something until the economy went bad. The Toyota Tundra out pulled all the other trucks in its class. Look it up people have videos of it. sorry i'm 17 and dont have the cash for expensive powerful trucks and what not you prick. i dont know why your flipping out because I suggested a truck thats like the ford ranger just a little better. you think buying american vehicles is going to help our economy? Well tell them to make a better vehicle and i'll consider. I cant afford to pay for repairs and such so I bought something you cant kill.

toyota's dually disel.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xhJlseAY0E0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xhJlseAY0E0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Moto49X
10-24-2008, 11:47 PM
toyota was planning on a bigger dually or something until the economy went bad. The Toyota Tundra out pulled all the other trucks in its class. Look it up people have videos of it. sorry i'm 17 and dont have the cash for expensive powerful trucks and what not you prick. i dont know why your flipping out because I suggested a truck thats like the ford ranger just a little better. you think buying american vehicles is going to help our economy? Well tell them to make a better vehicle and i'll consider. I cant afford to pay for repairs and such so I bought something you cant kill.

toyota's dually disel.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xhJlseAY0E0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xhJlseAY0E0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Where do I start? First, I never said **** about it helping our economy, I don't give a damn about it. But buying toyota sends 100% of your money back out of the states. Be a true American, drive one of the big 3. I'm not bashing anyone, but Toyota is only driven by tree huggers. Minus the few who use old Tacos as off-road rigs and whatnot. Second, "people have videos of it" so you believe it? Nice choice bud. I'll take a chevy 1500 6.0liter over that junk anyday. Third, that dually is FUGLY. fourth, a simple minimum wage job should be able to afford freaking payments a decent truck. I mean, your 17 so you still live at home right? Last, I'm not even 21 yet, I own a Cummins, F-150, and run a complete debt free lawn and landscape business.

You bought something you can't kill? Pay for repairs? Man I have 270k miles on my Cummins. It's had one trans, wheel bearings, and a steering box. Come on dude, educate yourself before you speak please.

I'm not trying to start anything. Sorry if I come off as arrogant. I'm very opinionated and I speak what I think, as should everyone else.

Punk'd
10-25-2008, 12:46 AM
I drive an 04 Ranger Fx4 4.0L v6 with 56,000 miles. Gas mileage is not the greatest, but not terrible. I have had zero problems so far.

10-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Where do I start? First, I never said **** about it helping our economy, I don't give a damn about it. But buying toyota sends 100% of your money back out of the states. Be a true American, drive one of the big 3. I'm not bashing anyone, but Toyota is only driven by tree huggers. Minus the few who use old Tacos as off-road rigs and whatnot. Second, "people have videos of it" so you believe it? Nice choice bud. I'll take a chevy 1500 6.0liter over that junk anyday. Third, that dually is FUGLY. fourth, a simple minimum wage job should be able to afford freaking payments a decent truck. I mean, your 17 so you still live at home right? Last, I'm not even 21 yet, I own a Cummins, F-150, and run a complete debt free lawn and landscape business.

You bought something you can't kill? Pay for repairs? Man I have 270k miles on my Cummins. It's had one trans, wheel bearings, and a steering box. Come on dude, educate yourself before you speak please.

I'm not trying to start anything. Sorry if I come off as arrogant. I'm very opinionated and I speak what I think, as should everyone else.

Toyota is probally more american than you think. they are built right in the united states and sold here. not imported. Dont know how you cant say the Tundra is beast when its 0-60 time is pretty quick and its 1/4 mile aint too bad either being a truck. A 5.7L V8 6 speed transmission can get 19MPG. I think thats pretty darn good. You cant compare diesel to regular gasoline. Diesel engines last longer and make much more power. And yes i'm 17 and I live at home but that doesnt make paying for something easier. I pay my way 100% and theres no way I could afford insurance on a nice truck and pay for the gas. I might be able to buy it but I couldnt afford the other stuff.

Moto49X
10-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Toyota is probally more american than you think. they are built right in the united states and sold here. not imported. Dont know how you cant say the Tundra is beast when its 0-60 time is pretty quick and its 1/4 mile aint too bad either being a truck. A 5.7L V8 6 speed transmission can get 19MPG. I think thats pretty darn good. You cant compare diesel to regular gasoline. Diesel engines last longer and make much more power. And yes i'm 17 and I live at home but that doesnt make paying for something easier. I pay my way 100% and theres no way I could afford insurance on a nice truck and pay for the gas. I might be able to buy it but I couldnt afford the other stuff.

I was comparing it to the Chevy 1500 6.0 GAS MOTOR.

toby400ex
10-26-2008, 06:04 PM
TTB OWNZ

brian76708
10-27-2008, 09:42 AM

EVAN THOUGH they are built here the profits dont go to AMERICA unlike the big 3.

ZeroLogic
10-27-2008, 10:39 AM
I have a 98 Frontier only because I can't afford to buy a new truck now.:blah: Its a four banger, horrible on gas for a four banger, exhaust is for the birds, my muffler rotten right out, I had the pipe inbetween the cat and the muffler snap in half while I was driving through a town. The only think I like about the truck is that it will run forever. (knock on wood)
My next truck will be a F 250 8cyl with an 8 foot bed.:o :devil: