PDA

View Full Version : cam

jimlogan
10-20-2008, 11:38 AM
I am thinking of putting a stage 2 hot cam just wondering if anyone has done this and is it worth it thanks

jkulysses
10-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Use the search button, tons and tons of topics on this but yes it is worth it.

strucksvt
10-20-2008, 06:58 PM
I just put one in my 07 450R and it is WELL WORTH IT! I was shocked at how big of a difference it made.

jimlogan
10-21-2008, 04:45 PM
got one ordered thanks for the input

Project300EX
10-21-2008, 06:45 PM
What year machine do you have? A lot of the '04-'05 guys, including me, can't tell much of a difference. The '04-'05 cam is reallygood to begin with.

pro-rider46
10-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Project300EX
What year machine do you have? A lot of the '04-'05 guys, including me, can't tell much of a difference. The '04-'05 cam is reallygood to begin with.

WHAT? :huh

d3ktrix
10-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Project300EX

lol ur nuts.
IMO the only mod that adds more power then a cam is head porting.

Even going from 1 good cam to another can make a massive rideability difference.

Ur bike jetted wrong or something? :P

86250rrider
10-22-2008, 12:50 PM
02 crf cam,11.5 piston, open lid,hmf pipe woke mine up BIG TIME !! its not sluggish any more

jimlogan
10-22-2008, 05:00 PM
I have a 05 I hope it makes a differnce I put one in my 400 and It helped

Project300EX
10-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
lol ur nuts.
IMO the only mod that adds more power then a cam is head porting.

Even going from 1 good cam to another can make a massive rideability difference.

Ur bike jetted wrong or something? :P

I guess opinions differ. All I know is me along with a number of others didn't recieve the gains we were assuming we'd get. I'm sure you'd have much more benefit out of it with more mods, but with just exhaust not as much as is said around here. Check out a few of the newer cam threads on the org.

Edit: And just to make sure noone read wrong, I said I didn't see THAT much of a difference after install. I didn't say I didn't see any difference. I did notice some, but it was nowhere near what a lot of people imply.

86250rrider
10-22-2008, 06:07 PM
just putting an exhaust on a stock bike doesnt make much difference alone at all. you have to go through all the stages to get the true gains. i myself would not get a honda or yammie 450 ported.....they are set up good as they come. unless your building a drag monster or hillshooter. if you get a pipe,cam,piston,and leave the lid on .........your missing out big time!! my biggest gains were the open box and the cam.

Project300EX
10-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by 86250rrider
just putting an exhaust on a stock bike doesnt make much difference alone at all. you have to go through all the stages to get the true gains. i myself would not get a honda or yammie 450 ported.....they are set up good as they come. unless your building a drag monster or hillshooter. if you get a pipe,cam,piston,and leave the lid on .........your missing out big time!! my biggest gains were the open box and the cam.

You're not even kidding on the lid. I cut the back off my stocker and noticed a big change over the cam. I'm not sure, since I've never run mine with no lid at all, but from what I've gathered you'll have a little better throttle response with the back of the lid cut as opposed to no lid. Might be worth looking into.

86250rrider
10-22-2008, 06:18 PM
my jetting on the main went from like 125 or so stock to a 185 main just taking the lid off!!!the pilot went up 2 sizes and its crisp and very quick. open lid and jetting costs like $10 bucks is a big-time bargain for what you get in performance. obviously if you use the stock muffler....get that baffle out immediately!!!

pro-rider46
10-23-2008, 01:25 PM

is your 450 ported, i thought it made a huge difference.

jimlogan
10-23-2008, 02:41 PM
i have a dr d pipe and running with no lid. I raced a guy with a stock pipe with baffle cut out and back of air lid cut, and he had the cam I could not beat him.

86250rrider
10-23-2008, 02:51 PM
thats what i was saying...the stock muffler without baffle performs the same as a slip on. but the slip-has a better sound,thats all. with open lid,cam,more compression,slip-on ...it rips and sounds good. im happy with the power...never thought i would feel the bike is quick enough,but it is.:macho

d3ktrix
10-23-2008, 04:34 PM
thats what i was saying...the stock muffler without baffle performs the same as a slip on. but the slip-has a better sound,thats all. with open lid,cam,more compression,slip-on ...it rips and sounds good. im happy with the power...never thought i would feel the bike is quick enough,but it is.:macho

The stock silencer uses metal baffles to dampen sound. Pretty much walls of metal inside the silencer. Those obstructions kill power.
After market slip-on's/exhausts use a straight screen cylinder with fiberclass packing on the outside of it.
Which is a straight shot out for the exhaust gases, no "walls of metal" like the stock one. Also the reason they are so much louder then stock even with the end baffle/spark arrester removed.
No comparison in power.

Originally posted by jimlogan
i have a dr d pipe and running with no lid. I raced a guy with a stock pipe with baffle cut out and back of air lid cut, and he had the cam I could not beat him.

Yup cam does way more then an exhaust.

When I used to have just and HRC cam and no air box lid my bike would pull much harder then my friends that had a TC exhaust and no air box lid.

jimlogan
10-23-2008, 04:52 PM
The only other thing I was going to add to the bike was the header, but does that make much difference. I heard the stock header was good already

pro-rider46
10-23-2008, 05:38 PM
if your quad is a 06 or up. you might as well just get a hrc kit. they have cam, baffle, header, sub harness plug(increases rev limit) and a airbox lid, and new jets. for like 300 maybe less. it will run like a raped ape.

Also, it seems like a lot of bad info in this thread, there isnt much on a trx 450 that isnt restricted. The exhaust is highly restricted, the cam is highly restricted, the airbox is restricted, the cdi is restricted. the ports are pretty restrictive, that has to all be replaced to get a seriously well flowing engine without restriction.

Dave400ex
10-23-2008, 05:48 PM
The power is in the head. A good port job will gain you the most. Cam helps even more once the head is done. Having mine ported is the best thing I have done to my engine. Runs so much better and the throttle response is amazing.

d3ktrix
10-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46

Also, it seems like a lot of bad info in this thread,

Agreed lol

HondaRaceReady
10-23-2008, 07:53 PM
The stage 2 hotcam makes awesome power up top. Especially in 3rd gear and up. It feels like a lost a little bottom end though. The bike will lose compression because of it, but its worth it.

86250rrider
10-23-2008, 11:41 PM
is the bad info me? haha

pro-rider46
10-24-2008, 07:44 AM
is the bad info me? haha

nope, not really, just maybe the port comment,

jimlogan
10-29-2008, 05:43 PM
I got the cam in and I can feel the difference.

86250rrider
10-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
The stage 2 hotcam makes awesome power up top. Especially in 3rd gear and up. It feels like a lost a little bottom end though. The bike will lose compression because of it, but its worth it.

the camshaft has nothing to do with what gear your in,it has to do with the rpm range your in . and how long your at the peak torque.

HondaRaceReady
11-01-2008, 01:11 PM
the camshaft has nothing to do with what gear your in,it has to do with the rpm range your in . and how long your at the peak torque.
I know, it doesn't make sense, but it feels way more powerful in 3rd and up. Maybe I just give it more gas, I don't know.

d3ktrix
11-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
I know, it doesn't make sense, but it feels way more powerful in 3rd and up. Maybe I just give it more gas, I don't know.

Mostly likely you feel that way because there is so much tire spin in 1st and 2nd.