PDA

View Full Version : Front end HELP !!!

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-11-2002, 05:23 PM
Guys ,

I ordered some Hermann racing +2 A-ARMS , but I don't get the ball joint thing with caster/camber .Could you guys give some advise before I screw everything up and have to make it loose again ...

Do the ball joints be really come to the metal or do they have a few threads left ?

Tnx

Kenny

beerock
12-11-2002, 05:30 PM
huh?
I know your from belgium so its hard to explain on your behalf.

I think your trying to get help on the CAMBER for the tires?

is there any way you can post pics to show this threading problem?

12-11-2002, 07:00 PM
set your top ball joint in all the way till it bottoms out and tighten it down. on the bottom ball joint you want to adjust it out some so the top of your tires tilt in some( this is called negative camber). it come down to what kind terrain you ride. heres a link to lonestar racings website. i hope it help. if you have anymore questions let me know and i'll try my best to answer them.

http://www.lsracing.com/installguides.php?step=4&igid=5

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-12-2002, 04:03 AM
guy's I took pics

here they are

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-12-2002, 04:04 AM
now in close up

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-12-2002, 04:06 AM
and one more

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-12-2002, 04:08 AM
now my question is , how far must the upper and lower balljoint be sticking out .You see my upper is a thread of 6-7 sticking out .May it ?

tnx for your time

Texan32
12-12-2002, 06:45 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't you want the just far enough out to set up the angles you want?! If they are sticking out too far, that puts extra strees on the threaded part.

MX#132 Sounds like he's get the idea.

Alse remember, the camber angle is going to be slightly different once the quad is on the ground with weight on it. The camber angle does change a little through the suspension travel.

beerock
12-12-2002, 11:56 AM
like they said screw the top ball joints all the way in.

and the bottom one.

once they are all the way in, your suppose to count the turns you turn the ball joints out.

I would say to call up herrmann and ask him what he reccomends for ball joint set up.

he might say somethin like 4 turns out on top and one turn out on the bottom.

i think the first thing you want to try is turning both top and bottom ball joints in all the way and see what the tire stance is from there.(turn the ball joints in, put the wheels on and then sit the bike on the ground and take a good look at the camber)

If you want to try that please take a picture of it and post it. that would be a good starting basis for us to help you.(we will then know the ball joints are all the way in and will be able to help you set it up)

Also, when you turn all the ball joints all the way in double check each side by measurung the end of the a-arm (where the ball joint goes into)to the end of the ball joint.
There may be slight discrepancies with how far in the ball joint goes in from one side to the other.

i wouldnt ride the bike with the way you have the ball joints set up now. try what I said and get back to us

beerock
12-12-2002, 12:07 PM
it should sorta look like this when its set up right

Extremeracer167
12-12-2002, 12:13 PM
Backbone,
I dont know if u get ATV magazines over there alot. But for a REAL GOOD article on setting the front end up. Check out the December issue of ATVSPORT! They have a pretty good article about bumpsteer, caster, and camber adjusting. Worth the few bucks to keep around the garage

12-12-2002, 12:18 PM
Theres an article in this months "ATV Sport"..(December)
called "Front & center"...general purpose set-up
tips to help you dial in your quad's front end ..
this should help
;)

Extremeracer167
12-12-2002, 12:20 PM
haha must ahv eposted that at the same time:p

12-12-2002, 01:33 PM
looks like it ..:eek:

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-12-2002, 01:35 PM
Hey guys ,

I have Dirtwheels ( read crapwheels ) and atvaction .But that other magazine we could not get here .

I tried to put the ball joints screw in to the metal but then i can't get them in the spindle ?

I take a photograp of that later ..

I there nobody with hermaan +2 racing a-arms out there ?

tnx for all your help guys

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-12-2002, 02:49 PM
in the meanwhile the progress of the rest :devil
Am I doing my homework wright ?

:devil :blah

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-12-2002, 02:51 PM
onather one :

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-12-2002, 02:52 PM
and just another one

beerock
12-12-2002, 02:54 PM
screw the top and bottom in all the way and then back out the top ball joint so you can hook up the spindle.

Remember to count the turns you back out the top ball joint.

This is hard to help you with without being there but were trying our best.

did you call herrmann racing up yet?

Pics would really help

beerock
12-12-2002, 02:58 PM
from what i can see in your pics

you need screw the top ball joints in a bout 1/2 an inch

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-12-2002, 02:59 PM
tommorow I will post pics , and I emailed Brad of hermann.

Thnaks for your help guys ...

bongwater200
12-12-2002, 03:05 PM
You should always keep the LOWER joint fully threaded into the lower arm unless it is absolutely necessary to thread it out to get your camber right. Always adjust your camber with the top joint if possible because exposing more shank on the bottom joint creates more stress on the shaft and it will bend or break much more easily.