PDA

View Full Version : ER Starting (Or lack of)

represent618
10-20-2008, 06:12 AM
Curious what you guys that have the infamous "ER won`t start" issues are doing?

My battery only gives me a couple quick cranks and is dead, if the bike does not fire I have to push start it. Once it runs a few minutes it will start right up, unless I have to crank it over for a few seconds, then the battery dies again. I put it on a trickle charger to keep topped off, but that doesn`t do it.

I was thinking about putting a bigger battery in with a small mod/cut to the battery box, but thought I would ask here to see what you all are doing before I get the hacksaw out...

Thanks, I really appreciate any feedback!

10-20-2008, 06:22 AM
i traded my er for a 400ex...2 years of spending money and trying to get it right...i had had enough, granted it was pretty close to being good, but...

represent618
10-20-2008, 11:00 AM
I am thinking about buying a street bike battery, like a Yamaha R6 battery is about 1.5 inches wider, so I could just cut the side out of the battery tray and fab up a brace to hold it in....anyone done this?

gets about 35 more cold crank amps this way, not sure if that would be enough to make a diff though?

Colby@C&DRacing
10-20-2008, 11:16 AM
You might have your battery tested it sounds like it have a bad cell. As for the staring ssue on the ER we tried everything. We now run a 24 volt starting sytem and it starting instantly.

represent618
10-21-2008, 11:44 AM
any other experiences? surely with all the complaints someone has something that can help me?

Scro
10-21-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm using 24 volts as well, works like a charm.

10-21-2008, 05:01 PM
I put a hyabusa battery in my 400ex, didn't even have to cut the plastic, just slid in.

10-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Prodigal
I put a hyabusa battery in my 400ex, didn't even have to cut the plastic, just slid in.

that works for a 400ex, but not his 450r

represent618
10-22-2008, 05:51 AM
Well, it is going to the dealer since it is under warranty anyway.

I`ll let you know what comes out of it.

10-22-2008, 06:30 AM
there is nothing they can do...

to keep it starting well, you will need to adjust the valves often. and maybe upgrade to the 24 volt system. jetting needs to be absolutely perfect. if still using the stock 12 volt system, the battery needs to be maintained with a maintenance charger. it was more headache than i was willing to deal with, so it went

represent618
10-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, I just hate to go backwards in power.

I rode a new 400ex and I felt like I was riding a 90 after going from a cannondale to this 450ER, it would be hard to get used to not having much snap.

Maybe i`m just in denial!

We`ll see, it might get traded on a big foreman 4x4 with a winch, that could be fun too.

coryatver
10-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Sounds like you need a new battery. The battery's they put in them are so small to save wieght but they are junk. Get the yausa battery the cheaper ones I broke the cell in one ride on one.

You need to get it jetted correctly. I got an hmf pipe and put the jets in that they recommended and the jetting is right on. Then when you go to start it cold:

1. DO NOT TOUCH THROTTLE
2. It has to be in neutral becuase if not the clutch engages even when pulled in.
3. Full choke
4. hit the button

mine starts up every time but sometimes takes seconds it is not as fast at starting as other quads which is no big deal for trail riding but stinks for xc racing dead engine starts..

450rdr424
10-22-2008, 02:40 PM
On the 24v sytems did you guys run the dual battery set up? just curious I was going to do it but never did still got top 5 starts in xc racing starting in nuetral. I am thinking of selling and trying to find a left-over kicker somewhere.....

represent618
10-23-2008, 07:33 AM
New Battery, all set to go. Fires like new.

I would to see more specifics on the 24 volt system. You are running 24 volts to the starter only I am assuming? But how exactly to accomplish this??? Not sure.

Anyone have a setup & wire scheme?

Sjorge450R
10-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by represent618
New Battery, all set to go. Fires like new.

I would to see more specifics on the 24 volt system. You are running 24 volts to the starter only I am assuming? But how exactly to accomplish this??? Not sure.

Anyone have a setup & wire scheme?

from my understandings of what i see at the track is people are doing this.

Adding a second 450r battery and just wiring them in a a circuit together.

represent618
10-23-2008, 08:48 AM
so negative to positive making 24 volts.
compared to:
positive to positive only giving longer cranking amperage available still at 12 volts....?

warr72
10-28-2008, 09:11 PM
I have been running 24 volts on my 08 for months and no issues. I ran heavier ground and positive wire for my starter. Also I took the starter out and had a little work done on the drive gear. But I start in gear with the clutch disengaged, so it will take off on the hit of a button. Hid the other battery in air box, used an aftermarket airbox. Really not worth doing unless you race in my opinion. Jetting has to be spot on and valves adjusted to spec to get it to fire right off. A holeshot isn't the whole race but better than the first corner pile ups and eating dirt the whole race.

Sjorge450R
10-29-2008, 07:22 AM
yea I have seen some really fast starting ER's. Back when borich got his first ER he was next to me on the line in District 6 and i believe he was running a dual battery setup. He was gone before i sat down after kicking my kicker.... which always starts on the first kick.

in the long run, I would still prefer the kick start. You always know that it is going to start. Plus, each time you add another battery and wires you are adding more weight.