PDA

View Full Version : New trx9 pipe review......

superevil
10-19-2008, 11:05 PM
I have heard a lot about the trx5 and the trx11 but it seems like noone i know has bought or used the trx9 pipe so ill tell you guys my experience.
Also how it compares to the Curtis Sparks pipe. This was done on my 310r with 38mm carb.

Fit and Finish: Well this isnt a fair category because my sparks pipe is old the esr is brand new,and every pipe i have tried to mount on my laeger frame ends up fitting like oil in water,and ends up resulting in some type of minor fab work! But the trx9 pipe is beautiful and flawless,i was really impressed by the chrome and craftsmanship. THe pipe joint between the exspansion chamber and the part that connects to the cylinder is a really neet setup,and keeps the two halves very secure. The trx 9 pipe seems very tough too,the esr pipe itself weighs more than the sparks pipe and silencer combined!!! i guess that could be good or bad. I tested them When i put my 310 kit on.

Performance: The sparks pipe made the power really ON/OFF and gave it a very very narrow powerband. It actually had me a little dissapointed that i had just dumped like 2k into the motor. It was a little low end and some Upper-mid range and nothing else.It was jetted at 170main/48 pilot. It was still a lot faster than with the stock cylinder,but not as much as i would have thought

The trx9 pipe turned it all around. This pipe is awesome!!I have never had one mod make this much difference in power. You could wheelie in 2nd and 3rd with the sparks,but it had to be intentional,like pulling up and stuff. With the trx9 when you hit the gas with traction it is going to come up on you. hit the gas in the meat of the power in 3rd and the front end comes up quick. Theres is power everywhere now. This pipe makes everything about my quads engine performance better.Ran best with a 180main 48 pilot

Lastly whovever the guy is that always answers the phone at esr is cool as can be and was a great help with everything.

So if any of you guys need a new pipe for your 250r,i would definitely look into the trx9

quad janern
10-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Nice quad and nice exhaust :D

would this pipe be a good mx pipe ?

trx310R#24
10-20-2008, 04:17 AM
anyone wanna buy a fatty pipe lol

that things sweet

trx310R#24
10-20-2008, 04:24 AM
thats a mid range to top end pipe... hows the bike out of the hole?

superevil
10-20-2008, 10:31 AM
The only problem i have is with the cr250 ignition and the pipe combined i cant get it to hook up very well on hard dirt,it just spins a lot. Off the line it is good,out of the corners its good,it hits hard and keeps going. I just have to play around with some tires and maybe a flywheel weight to get it to hook up better.
I bet this thing would be an adventure in the mud

It is definitely not a bike you want to lug around. And the mid-top end power make it a real handful in the trails. I dont have a lot of experience with Mx so i cant really judge on that.

The power is in the upper rpms though,wich is fine for me because i grew up and used to ride banshees a lot.

trx310R#24
10-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by superevil
The only problem i have is with the cr250 ignition and the pipe combined i cant get it to hook up very well on hard dirt,it just spins a lot. Off the line it is good,out of the corners its good,it hits hard and keeps going. I just have to play around with some tires and maybe a flywheel weight to get it to hook up better.
I bet this thing would be an adventure in the mud

It is definitely not a bike you want to lug around. And the mid-top end power make it a real handful in the trails. I dont have a lot of experience with Mx so i cant really judge on that.

The power is in the upper rpms though,wich is fine for me because i grew up and used to ride banshees a lot.

how did the cr ignition help with power? is it worth the time an money or no?

bansheeboyo
10-20-2008, 12:41 PM
cr ignition is well worth it only takes about 30 mins to install and im not even mechanicaly minded.
such a big diffrence in power before i could only keep up with my bros banshee with dmc 916's,reeds air filter after i installed it i usually win drags 1 - 2 quad in front
thats a stock bore r with reeds cr ignition 89 race pipe uni air filter and thats it

trx310R#24
10-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by bansheeboyo
cr ignition is well worth it only takes about 30 mins to install and im not even mechanicaly minded.
such a big diffrence in power before i could only keep up with my bros banshee with dmc 916's,reeds air filter after i installed it i usually win drags 1 - 2 quad in front
thats a stock bore r with reeds cr ignition 89 race pipe uni air filter and thats it

yeah ill be getting one soon lol

800screws
10-20-2008, 01:37 PM
is your leager frame the narrow front? and the pipe fit with no problems? did u have to fab any mounts?

superevil
10-20-2008, 02:49 PM
No its not a narrow front,but i did have to fab up a front pipe mount.You can actualy see it in the picture under the exspansion chamber. I had an old denton stabilizer that is junk,so i took the clamp from the denton stabilizer and clamped it to the frame tube,and then used a standard 250r pipe hanger from that to the pipe,luckily enough its a perfect fit. what a concidence huh?

I actualy think i have a wierd frame from laeger i need to call them. I was told this frame was designed to run either the 250r motor,or a yfz426 engine or a crf 450 engine just by changing the mounts.

250Renvy
10-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by superevil
No its not a narrow front,but i did have to fab up a front pipe mount.You can actualy see it in the picture under the exspansion chamber. I had an old denton stabilizer that is junk,so i took the clamp from the denton stabilizer and clamped it to the frame tube,and then used a standard 250r pipe hanger from that to the pipe,luckily enough its a perfect fit. what a concidence huh?

I actualy think i have a wierd frame from laeger i need to call them. I was told this frame was designed to run either the 250r motor,or a yfz426 engine or a crf 450 engine just by changing the mounts.

Laegers won't have any info for you - I tried asking questions about my frames because some of the measurements and parts are wierd/odd sizes.

You should get some pics of it without the seat or plastic and from different angles. I'm very curious about your frame - I've never heard of that but I am trying to get my 250X frame modded so I can do that motor swapping by just changing mounts.

Get a pic of the lower motor mounts and that will be a clear indicator - or stand it up on the grab bar and take a pic.

Where are you located by the way?

superevil
10-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Laegers won't have any info for you - I tried asking questions about my frames because some of the measurements and parts are wierd/odd sizes.

You should get some pics of it without the seat or plastic and from different angles. I'm very curious about your frame - I've never heard of that but I am trying to get my 250X frame modded so I can do that motor swapping by just changing mounts.

Get a pic of the lower motor mounts and that will be a clear indicator - or stand it up on the grab bar and take a pic.

Where are you located by the way?

I know the rear motor mounts are wierd on it. It has the lower rear motor mounts on the frame,but no upper motor mounts on the frame. The frame(just the frame) belonged to joe byrd back in 2003.
The guy i bought it from has it setup with an 86' style swingarm,with the motor mount that goes on the swingarm bolt,but the lower 2 tabs on the rear swingarm motor mount are grinded off,only using the top two.
I am in florence kentucky just south of cininnati. I doubt it is really made to switch motors around,but i know those rear motor mounts are wierd.

cdrookie
10-20-2008, 08:05 PM
a flywheel weight won't help much. i have the 13oz on mine and i don't feel like it was worth the $100.

matt250r21
10-20-2008, 08:08 PM
From what I can see in you pic, I belive you have a stock replacement 250R Laeger's frame. I have never heard of Laeger building a frame that would accept more then one type of motor. None of the Laeger 250R frame have a top rear motor mount like the stock 88-89 Honda 250R frames.

superevil
10-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by matt250r21
From what I can see in you pic, I belive you have a stock replacement 250R Laeger's frame. I have never heard of Laeger building a frame that would accept more then one type of motor. None of the Laeger 250R frame have a top rear motor mount like the stock 88-89 Honda 250R frames.

Thanks man im glad to have that cleared up.
Do i really need that swingarm bolt mount then?
I was thinking about buying a swinger with skidplate mounts,but nice aftermarket 86 style swingers are a little rare.

It seems like the lower rear frame mount would be enough

250Renvy
10-20-2008, 09:25 PM
If you have the lower mount, it's fine. There are a couple Laeger's on ebay right now in the 88 style.

They don't have skid plate mounts, but it wouldn't be hard to add them. You can always run a stock aluminum swingarm as well.

If that's a stock replacement frame, I don't suppose there's any chance you'd be interested in trading for a Narrow front 250R link propeg frame?

superevil
10-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Interested in any trades really,pm me your phone number or something.Why dont you want your narrow?

All250R
10-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by cdrookie
a flywheel weight won't help much. i have the 13oz on mine and i don't feel like it was worth the $100. That's because the distance the mass is from the center point is more important (squared) than the mass itself. Adding weight to a CR flywheel means you don't want a CR flywheel. Your best bet is to ligten a stock flywheel and finding a way to use the rest of the ignition if the CR timing curve is important to you.

superevil
10-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Well i do want to cr flywheel and ignition,it made a big difference.Its the digital ignition from the 01. The difference in throttle response is huge with the ignition
Its not like i had extreme traction before. The machine just hits a lot harder now. Im trying different tires and suspension settings

All250R
10-22-2008, 01:22 PM
This isn't really the right thread for this, but the flywheel is basically a place for the engine to store rotational energy. So a flywheel that requires less energy to turn, the faster the engine will rev; conversely, the faster it will decerlate as well.

wilkin250r
10-22-2008, 01:59 PM
I wonder how difficult it would be to design an ignition system using the TRX stator and flywheel (with lights!), but utilized the CR250 CDI.

It might be possible, with an oscilloscope and some data aquisition software... Something to think about.

aztecgwynn
10-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Just had my 1986 Honda TRX 250r dyno tuned for the ESR TRX 9 pipe and 250r is set up only for Glamis.
First tuning with FMF fatty, 175 pounds of compression, stock gearing, carbon tech HT reeds, 158 main jet, Trinity stage II porting, open air box lid with uni filter, NGK BR8eix spark plug, cool head with 19cc dome and fifty fifty mix of VP C12 and super unleaded with yamalube mixed at 32:1. Dyno numbers that came out of FMF fatty are horsepower 35.3, and torque at 27.5.
With ESR TRX 9 pipe everything stayed the same minus the ESR TRX 9 pipe and main jet was bumped up to 162 and it dyno at 36.1 horsepower and 27.8 ft/lbs of torque.
In all the ESR pipe I like it hits harder on powerband but very manageable.

Creech52
10-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I wonder how difficult it would be to design an ignition system using the TRX stator and flywheel (with lights!), but utilized the CR250 CDI.

It might be possible, with an oscilloscope and some data aquisition software... Something to think about.

If your interested in the TRX stator and such just for the lights, Ricky stator used to have bike stators with light provisions, for most of the 2 stroke bikes. This would be easier to send in a CR stator for the mod then trying to redesign the system yourself using the TRX and CR parts.