PDA

View Full Version : axle bearings or just the nut?

shok47
10-19-2008, 08:59 AM
I did a search on google about 300ex axle bearings and one said on this forum that there is no play from left to right, but slightly up and down. This is exactly what I have and someone suggested it could just be the nut.

My nut and brake flange has some up and down play with it too so Im wondering could it really be the nut? The up and down play for the axle never happened before until I noticed my brake flange and nut had some play in it.

krt400ex
10-19-2008, 09:35 AM
it probably is the bearings. thats what happened to my 400 when the bearings went. if the axle was going side to side, like sliding in and out of the carrier then it would probably be the nut loosening up.

shok47
10-19-2008, 09:41 AM
I put the bike on a cinder block to be more stable so I could see what type of play there was and there actually is some side to side play, only about a little more than half the width of a penny.

So then again with this play it could be the nut?

krt400ex
10-19-2008, 09:52 AM
if it is the same type of play that i previously described, then yes it could be the nut. tighten it down and see how it is. check it again. if you have up and down play, it is also the bearings.