PDA

View Full Version : LT80 carb issues.

skynbyu
10-18-2008, 09:06 PM
I have an 89 lt80 that runs good for the 1st half of the throttle then bogs out. It has a dg pipe with a 90 main jet and a uni foam filter in the stock air box. I just did a complete tear down of the machine and went through the carb (3 times), cleaned the gas tank and cleaned and oiled the filter. I also removed the vacuum operated petcock and installed a gravity flow type. If I remove the boot from the front of the carb, it runs great so it seems it is starving for air but I cant figure out why? Any ideas? Thanks, Ken

LT80
10-19-2008, 07:37 AM
Do a compression check. I'd bet it's low.:)

skynbyu
10-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Will try a compression check, but it seems to have way more compression than my other lt80 which runs fine. By the way, LT80, are you still building these motors? Ken

LT80
10-20-2008, 07:06 AM
Hmmmm...OK if comps fine, then a reed maybe?
Providing that there is nothing blocking a jet, then we have to look at the electrical standpoint.
Yes I do. :)

skynbyu
10-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Reeds should be fine, I robbed the boyesen reeds from the running lt 80. Being that it runs great without the intake in play leads me to believe that it is starving for air and/or is not getting the right air/fuel mixture. I have a 90 main jet in it but do not know the size of the other jet. Could that be the wrong size and what should it be for my setup? Or is it maybe getting too much oil with the stock oil pump still in?

skynbyu
10-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Ok LT80, I should have just listened to you the first time...I finally checked compression and found only about 60-70 psi...on BOTH machines!! The running one is a complete stock setup with no mods, so I guess thats why it's still running! If I recall, I should have about 125 psi or so right? What do I have to do to get you to work on this motor for me and if so, what kind of turnaround time we talkin? Ken

LT80
10-21-2008, 08:05 AM
Yes it should be around 125.
Please email. :)