PDA

View Full Version : any other handicapped / paralyzed riders out there?

SRH
10-18-2008, 11:49 AM
well for the time being im paralyzed and confined to a chair...only temporarily hopefully , i got injured mx related, so im not interested in competing in mx, but im excited to try my hand in xc either on a 4x4 ute or a renegade but thats all i think about everyday is riding, initially i didnt even want to hear quad but things get easier and i started to get the desire, i mean know it will be alot different ill have to adapt a whole new riding style but sooner or later i hope to be going fast again, you guys that ride, what little tricks do you have etc?

gcart2
10-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by SRH
well for the time being im paralyzed and confined to a chair...only temporarily hopefully , i got injured mx related, so im not interested in competing in mx, but im excited to try my hand in xc either on a 4x4 ute or a renegade but thats all i think about everyday is riding, initially i didnt even want to hear quad but things get easier and i started to get the desire, i mean know it will be alot different ill have to adapt a whole new riding style but sooner or later i hope to be going fast again, you guys that ride, what little tricks do you have etc?

man you prob dont want to here this but you need to wait it out. what if something happens while your riding and your out for the count.... Permanently? take your time. maybe pick up a new hobby. those little nitro cars are fun. maybe even video games :blah: . :eek:

klutch
10-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Handicapped.... i sprained (atleast i hope its a sprain) my ankle like bad yesterday.... no riding for a while I'm on crutches right now... was the size of a softball. I can move it kinda so its not too bad, but i can't walk or stand... lol

Mxjunkie
10-18-2008, 12:47 PM
I'll shoot you over a message on myspace of a friend of mine who races still, I'd post his url but ya never know who is uptight about that stuff :)

rossignoldude81
10-18-2008, 01:06 PM
my injury wasnt nearly as bad as your, but i had a tib fib fracture three months ago. i had 2 surgeries. one surgery they put a rod in my tibia, and after that surgery there was no pulse in my foot. they checked the pressure in the different compartments in my leg. typical pressure is below 20. my leg had swollen up so much my pressure was at 70. they normally do surgery around 30 so i got two nasty scars form my ankle to my knee on both sides of my leg. those cuts were left open for 3 or 4 days to let them drain fluid and all of that fun stuff. a week in the hospital and 85 staples later i was released from the hospital. just the other day the doctor said it was ok for me to stop wearing that retarded boot and use only one crutch if i wanted to. i was also told i was lucky to still have my leg, and about a year for a full recovery. i am not a very seasoned rider like most of you, but i spent every day i had off from work riding. this was a big blow to my summer, i havent ridden since june 19.

someone stated in an earlier post that video games were a good thing to do. i agree. i have an x box 360 but never really played it much until about a month and a half off the 450r. x box live is prob the best thing i have ever invested in.

also you dont want to rush back to riding. a guy that works for my dad had the same injury as me, tried to hurry up the recovery process and now has a permanent limp.

good luck with the recovery process and i wish you the best of luck. really sorry to hear about your injury, i have seen a few posts about it on other threads.

Moto49X
10-18-2008, 01:07 PM
SRH, have you thought about a Polaris RZR? Or even a rhino? These things are fun once you start gettin some mods on them. My back is permanently messed up, I've wanted to race again and I keep telling myself I will. But the thought of never walking kills me. Plus, I love to work, haha, I love my job and if I couldn't walk I couldn't do it. I rode my buddies RZR and as soon as my debts are paid off I will buy a RZR this winter and starting the "pimping" process, lol.

SRH
10-18-2008, 04:09 PM
well i had thought what if i crashed and broke it again, then you sit here and think wow i have nothing resembling a normal life and people expect me to live in a shell just so i dont get hurt...i just dotn have much to lose and riding is the only sort of normalcy i can really have

i have thought of the razr but thats a big chunk of money to put out, plus if my legs arent functioning that great that mean i have to set up hand controls for gas and brake then there not much safer with the stock cage and seats and harness so thats another 3k roughly to make it truly safer than a quad, im not saying a razr is out of the question just i desire a quad at this point i want to compete and i know if i put my mind for it i might be able to do pretty good in the gncc's

i just need to be able to get out some aggressions and feel myself i dont know if i can get that out of a side by side

what exactly are this side by sides like to ride in, i just dont want something that 2 rides your like ehhh boring

MX450
10-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Well I deff dont have as bad an injury as you but I broke my tib/fib as well. I had a rod and 4 screws put in and still may have to go get a bone graft because there is about a 1/2 inch gap in the front of my shin bone that isnt really healing back. It sucks i havent ridden in 5 months and im absolutely dying to ride. Best of luck to you and I hope you are able to get out of the chair one day, or at least ride something again.

redrider91
10-19-2008, 08:53 AM
you all complainin bout breakin your leg is nothing.a friend of mine that i used to race with(and still go to school with) this summer blew off his left hand. even with his prostetic he cant ride cause it wont keep a grip so now he has to sell his fourwheeler. it sucks cause he used to love to ride

raptoric
10-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by redrider91
even with his prostetic he cant ride cause it wont keep a grip so now he has to sell his fourwheeler. it sucks cause he used to love to ride

a year or so ago i rode at diamondback mx and there was a guy out there missing his right arm. he made some modifications
and was out there hauling a s s clearing dbls and all.
if you have a strong enough drive inside you then you can do anything. there also was a guy(forgot name) that ran at a national this year without the use of his legs. point is there are plenty of handicapped people out there that still ride competitively.
good luck to you you guys are an inspiration

Moto49X
10-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by SRH

what exactly are this side by sides like to ride in, i just dont want something that 2 rides your like ehhh boring

Like I said I don't have one of my own yet but they sure are fun. The RZR is alot smaller than a rhino so you can trail ride pretty much anywhere a quad can go.

csr250r
10-19-2008, 11:44 AM
In my local area a guy got paralyzed on his bike, he picked up atv oval track. He races in the pro class and he is belted on with a pushbutton shifter and he is fast.

SRH
10-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by redrider91
you all complainin bout breakin your leg is nothing.a friend of mine that i used to race with(and still go to school with) this summer blew off his left hand. even with his prostetic he cant ride cause it wont keep a grip so now he has to sell his fourwheeler. it sucks cause he used to love to ride

thats bs , he has to sell it because of a missing hand? no doubt a hand is a big loss but wtf ive seen alot of guys without arms running dirtbikes , quads etc, if he wants to bad enough im sure there is a way

what is a razr like on a mx track? i mean can you rail berms lkike on a quad and slide and roost and all that?

right now im leaning towards the renegade 800...but im still mildly interested in a razr, i would prob be more competitive much faster in a razr, im just scared of a few thing maybe you guys could help me address

rolling and being stuck upside down without use of my legs getting out would not be easy and alot of the roll cages ive seen appear to not have doors and it looks liek they enter thru the window, is this true or do they have actual doors?

the cost of setting one up then i see alot of blown out differntials and misc other stuff stuff, going wrong because it seems as though there easily pushed beyond there limits

and lastly how good is the suspension my back is my weak point and being strapped in if the suspension is maxxed next place the stress will go without the suspension seat is to my back, so i was hesitant considering they may not be a smooth ride

with a quad my only concern is flipping and breaking my back or neck again.....and i think if im just a little more cautious i can use my head and not take any unneccessary chances, becuase really the reason i broke my back was i took a unneccesary chance, i think if i ride with my head i can keep all 4 wheels on the ground

reconmaster
10-19-2008, 07:01 PM
srh i got injured trainin for a mx race and well i became the 1st canadian paraplegic to race mx and the 1st paraplegic to race an ama national
here are some pics
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v320/125/5/504164541/n504164541_805091_9515.jpg
http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v320/125/5/504164541/n504164541_805092_9836.jpg
http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v320/125/5/504164541/n504164541_805092_9836.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v320/125/5/504164541/n504164541_805093_98.jpg http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v320/125/5/504164541/n504164541_805094_372.jpg

reconmaster
10-19-2008, 07:08 PM
http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v320/125/5/504164541/n504164541_805111_7586.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v320/125/5/504164541/n504164541_805112_7957.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v274/125/5/504164541/n504164541_712135_4109.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v308/125/5/504164541/n504164541_712210_9291.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v308/125/5/504164541/n504164541_712217_5274.jpg

reconmaster
10-19-2008, 07:31 PM
heres how i set it up
rekluse z start clutch
http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v193/125/5/504164541/n504164541_346420_8291.jpg
rekluse z start rear brake lever with the manual overide clutch lever
http://photos-541.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v152/125/5/504164541/n504164541_240721_1083.jpg

custom seat to prevent pressure sores with a leg strap
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v77/125/5/504164541/n504164541_78345_5129.jpg

knee blocks to prevent me from standing
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v77/125/5/504164541/n504164541_78344_5007.jpg

pingel electric shifter needs a lil more dialing in
http://photos-541.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v152/125/5/504164541/n504164541_240724_2009.jpg

snowboard bindings on the nerfs
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v290/125/5/504164541/n504164541_657673_7368.jpg

if you have any questions feel free to ask...never give up never back down and don't let your disability hold you back. if i did well i would be still whining about mine

trx400EXtreme
10-19-2008, 07:46 PM
reconmaster, i do have one question if you dont mind me asking.... when your hitting jumps, how do you control your landing? just the brakes and gas?

reconmaster
10-19-2008, 08:02 PM
tried the rear brake a few tiems either stall or land really hard sometimes when i do sky wheelie it doesn'tr correct itself and i do land hard but for the most part as long as i remember i pull myself up and forward as much as possible and i do try to gas it on most landings
heres a quick video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbkMlRRQcWo

trx400EXtreme
10-19-2008, 08:29 PM
thats awesome man. your an inspiration.:macho o and whats the song in that video?

reconmaster
10-19-2008, 08:32 PM
remember the name-fort minor it was on my hero ricky james video on transworldmx.com watched it alot in rehab

trx400EXtreme
10-19-2008, 08:34 PM
alright cool. thanks.

QuadJunkies
10-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Very inspiring ... :)

With the will and the determination its amazing ,what we can do . :)

400exrider707
10-20-2008, 10:53 AM
I get a total kick out of this Bill.... when we first visited you in the rehab place you were all "get out of it, it's not worth it, I'm done racing, I'm selling everything" which then progressed to, I might get a RZR and try racing that, which has then progressed into, I might get a renegade 4x4.... Dude... your YFZ's are a lot more stable and have way better suspension than those big 4x4's.

I was up at Herbas this weekend ordering parts and was looking through the parts unlimited catalog and saw those Pingel electric shift kits for your quads. Got the wheels turning in the old noggin.

I told you, you'd be back in it.

How are you making out with walking and what not? You going to be around this coming weekend? Greg and I have been talking about coming up, we were gonna bring his quad up to try out the track, but we have to order carb parts for it. You gonna be around this weekend at all? Get your walsh wheelchair in yet?:blah:

jrspawn
10-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by SRH
thats bs , he has to sell it because of a missing hand? no doubt a hand is a big loss but wtf ive seen alot of guys without arms running dirtbikes , quads etc, if he wants to bad enough im sure there is a way

what is a razr like on a mx track? i mean can you rail berms lkike on a quad and slide and roost and all that?

right now im leaning towards the renegade 800...but im still mildly interested in a razr, i would prob be more competitive much faster in a razr, im just scared of a few thing maybe you guys could help me address

rolling and being stuck upside down without use of my legs getting out would not be easy and alot of the roll cages ive seen appear to not have doors and it looks liek they enter thru the window, is this true or do they have actual doors?

the cost of setting one up then i see alot of blown out differntials and misc other stuff stuff, going wrong because it seems as though there easily pushed beyond there limits

and lastly how good is the suspension my back is my weak point and being strapped in if the suspension is maxxed next place the stress will go without the suspension seat is to my back, so i was hesitant considering they may not be a smooth ride

with a quad my only concern is flipping and breaking my back or neck again.....and i think if im just a little more cautious i can use my head and not take any unneccessary chances, becuase really the reason i broke my back was i took a unneccesary chance, i think if i ride with my head i can keep all 4 wheels on the ground

Hey whats up? Without a doubt, a built rhino has NO problem ripping up an MX track just like a quad. You can either run in 4wd and it handles Very responsive, or keep it in 2wd and have the sliding feel going on. I use both methods depending on tracks myself. But again i can tell you from experience that you will have just as much if not More fun in a track ready rhino.

In your case i would steer away from the razr's. I can tell you again from experience the rhino is built beyond tuff! Ive been end over end several times now, and even side over side. All this With a stock cage at that every time has turned out fine other than some minor things. The razr's are built like tin cans, no where near the strength of the rhinos in Stock form.

With that said i would recomend a good long travel suspension setup and other safety items. That is more than enough to get out the and have fun on the track. But just like race quads its endless with the upgrades you can do.

As far as rolling them and being stuck upside down. Ive been there quite a few times:D My best advice is to make sure others are at the track with you. Most cases two people were able to get me rolled back over. Also the doors all depend on your cage design. Hoestly ive ran with a stock cage and oem doors for a long time and never had an issue, and ive had jumped some crazy stuff and taken some good spills. But like anything, a better aftermarket setup would be much better. You can have a custom cage built or bought and use alot of different options with doors. Alot of fullout race machines require a solid stationary door(non opening) but in your case for your use you could have opening door frames made so you could open a solid race door. Again this is all your decision on how far you would want to go. Out west the scene is huge, on the east coast, its Very small. More of just finding tracks that will allow you out there, then after they and the spectators see you jumping about everything on the track they want you back more and more:D

Ive yet to have a differential problem myself in the rhino(knock on wood) The bigger issue sometimes can be the cv's or axles. Most of the time these issues are driver related(landing wide open on the throttle or not servicing them) Also high HP race engines can play there toll on them. But i know several racers with more than complete seasons on the same axle sets with no problems.

And for the final question, a properly setup suspension will ride like you are on air. Most of the people i take out on the track CAN NOT believe that they are launching a rhino off jumps. But again like quads, come up short or overshoot something big and it might jolt you a little(but not much at all) Suspension seats are nicer than stock seats, but in the worst case scenario hurt you. If you ever have a Very bad landing(im talkin trying something BIG) and have something go wrong, if the suspension seat bottoms out hard enough if can knock the crap out of you. Its like bottoming out mulitplied by alot with all the force going up your back. I have only heard of this happening once though.

Let me know if there are ANY other questions you might have with the side by sides also, ill try to help you with anything i can. I know your a little ways away from me, but you are more than welcome to try my rhino out ANY time. We would just have to make up some hand controls for ya. Also, if you pursue the side by side route and need the long travel setup(for any brand) let me know i'll help you out. Ill get you a setup at cost(if not a little better), save you a little bit at least over full retail. Again let me know if you need any help.

Thank you
Justin

reconmaster
10-20-2008, 12:41 PM
the thing i find about pingel shifters is they are drag racing shifters which they have a problem staying turned on all the time your better off getting a kliktronic shifter www.kliktronic.co.uk
the guys who enginered this one of the owners son is a para and rides motorcycles lots of dirtbike mxriders use them etc wish i knew about it before hand

SRH
10-20-2008, 01:11 PM
hey ben, i just sent u a friend request over on myspace, i was talking to some of my therapist and they said pressure sores shouldnt be a issue on the quad because of the *** bouncing and stuff, although i dont know how tightly your strapped, what would you do in a long race?? and why the rekluse? luckily my injury is low enough have control of my hips and some my legs so far i mean granted i could end up walking but im looking worse case scenario, i dont have any interest really in getting back on a 450 or a mx track really in this condition let alone the 450s arent the most fun to go out and pleasure ride, so im selling them

justin i really appreciate youve got me interested again, i know im going to want to go fast again and im scared to death of flipping and breaking my neck on a quad

id love to have a built rhino but $$$ is a problem if i went the side by side route this is what i had planned

first , obviously id need hand controls

second, i had planned on prp suspension seats ( i was having a hard time understanding what you were saying abotu them being dangerous,i mean i might hit some jumps but i wont go too crazy)

third some sore of doors and obviously a hinged one on my side

now financially the razr s and these mods was what i had planned

ive had expirience with the grizzly and rhino motors and they just dont see to stand up well ive seen alot of them grenaded

i know you said the razr folds like a tin can but if i got the s which apparently from what ive read is beefed up with a better cage and then i added some reinforcement to the cage
woudlnt i be in a better situation? decent performance and handling for prob half the cost

id appreciate any opinions , i know a built side by side in the end is prob much safer than a quad, granted i have rods in my back and they dont flex so my back will break easier than before so even if i can walk and have normal control i could be in trouble in a hard wreck, i just want to be able to get that feeling you know when you pick your line in the corner and square off the berm and roost out of there you know? and be able to throw down some smooth lap times, plus the track owner where i got hurt is into side by sides and if i pushed for it i could prob get him to give me a class and at least he and i could run it weekly, im sure it would grow

reconmaster
10-20-2008, 01:24 PM
well i raced redbud i survived those motos, i strap myself tight cause i am paralyzed at the t5 level and the rekluse just makes riding much easier especially when your brake lever is on your clutch hand and hardly have to worry about stalling the reason i got a thicker seat is because the stock yfz ones are 2 hard and thin the dirtbike guys get thicker seats for the same reason

SRH
10-20-2008, 01:58 PM
ohh ive never used rear brakes before thats why it didnt dawn on me