PDA

View Full Version : Axle/Carrier Help

yernkie
10-17-2008, 05:16 PM
I just installed a RAD carrier in my 400ex, but now my axle won't tuern freely, my swingarm gets hot when riding, and it does roll very well in neutral. Everything is greased properly. What did I miss? If the axle nuts are too tight will it cause this issue?

atvnut22
10-17-2008, 06:21 PM
when you push it is their a grinding/rubbing noise?
did you replace the bearings or use the old ones?

their may be some packing in your bearings, a buddy had a 400ex one time and theirs was cardboard inside his bearing, and it would squeal and you could smell it burning.

yernkie
10-17-2008, 06:43 PM
This was a RAD carrier with RAD installed installed bearings and seals.

atvnut22
10-17-2008, 06:45 PM
i would try calling RAD then, and ask them what they thought

yernkie
10-17-2008, 07:26 PM
When installing aftermarket carrier are you supposed to re-use any of the factory o-rings? I didn't have instructions...

atvnut22
10-17-2008, 09:25 PM
where did you buy the carrier, it should have had instructions

yernkie
10-17-2008, 09:57 PM
It had instructions, but they were pretty basic...like install and grease.

atvnut22
10-17-2008, 10:00 PM
i dont know what to tell you, but if worse comes to worst just take it apart and see if theirs any wear and the carrier, axle,etc. if so then you know your problem:ermm:

Wildbrain
10-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by yernkie
I just installed a RAD carrier in my 400ex, but now my axle won't tuern freely, my swingarm gets hot when riding, and it does roll very well in neutral. Everything is greased properly. What did I miss? If the axle nuts are too tight will it cause this issue?

When you originaly installed your new RAD carrier you most likely overtightened your axel lock nut which put your bearings under stress.

Then you were out riding it with the bearings under stress from overtightening the axel lock nut. At that time it is possible that you may have trashed your new bearings.

Getting them hot enough to heat up the swingarm you most likely did toast your rear bearings.

Take them out of your carrier and see how they spin for ya. If they dont spin freely you would probably want to replace them with new ones. Make sure that you dont over tighten up that axle nut next time.