PDA

View Full Version : Stupid helmet question

DJack
10-17-2008, 10:53 AM
I have only been on dirt for about 6 months. I have rode street most of my life and have a question. Why such a diff between street and dirt helmets?? To me it make sense to just wear a street helmet while on the quad because i can just flip the shield up and down. I know it is a dumb question, but I just dont get it??? Rather than having to get a new helmet and goggles??? Any help?

SteveWR450F
10-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Not a dumb question at all. Frankly, a street helmet is better than no helmet at all.

Eventually, as you ride more, get a dirt helmet. A dirt helmet generally vents better (=cooler in the summer) and has a visor. A visor is a wonderful thing. Less glare when riding and when things get nasty, rain and mud, you can use the visor to protect your vision by tilting your head forward and having most stuff hit your visor and not in your vision area.

On really muddy races, most racers will even go one step further and tape an extra section onto the visor to make it longer for that reason.

10-17-2008, 12:12 PM
another reason is that you always want to have some kind of eye protection. when you have that visor up, you have no protection for your eyes...

NacsMXer
10-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
another reason is that you always want to have some kind of eye protection. when you have that visor up, you have no protection for your eyes...

and even when the visor is down, you will still get stuff in your eyes when things get dusty. Goggles are really a must.

katch26
10-17-2008, 01:23 PM
not dumb at all. I make my brother wear one when we go out riding (you look like a fool but safety first) and what everfyone else said is right about venting and eye protection......it fogs up with the shield down and he eats dirt from big bro with it up. :)
http://i37.tinypic.com/29ap2l4.jpg

Ruby Soho
10-17-2008, 01:24 PM
+ the option of goggles with tear offs are great

DJack
10-17-2008, 06:42 PM
thanks all I appreciate it!