PDA

View Full Version : frame gusset?

trailrider894
10-17-2008, 09:13 AM
i hear people putting frame gusset kit's on there ex's?? why is this?? and can they be fabricated at home with the right tool's??

TripleR400
10-17-2008, 09:41 AM
reinforces the frame. bare performance makes a kit for 75 bucks...

drew416ex
10-17-2008, 10:17 AM
some spots on the fram will crack if you ride it hard. The two main spots are above the front shock mounts. You can make your own at home if you have the material. I used 1/8" thick steel plate for mine.

trailrider894
10-17-2008, 10:24 AM
well i have all the tool's a buddy owns a machine/welding shop. and since i have that option what else could i reinforce will i have everything off the frame of the rebuild??

Ruby Soho
10-17-2008, 01:54 PM
they can be home made.. its only steel cut into fit the joints on the frame. i made my own.

Wheelie
10-17-2008, 09:02 PM
I made my own as well, and gusseted 3 areas. Front upper shock mount, the front frame rail behind the upper mount to the front bumper and the foot peg area.

The weakest link on an EX frame is above the front upper shock mount. If want to do gussets, do this area first.

brian76708
10-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie

The weakest link on an EX frame is above the front upper shock mount. If want to do gussets, do this area first.

does any one possibly have a pic of the location of this i think i know where you mean but i am not positive

Ruby Soho
10-18-2008, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Wheelie
I made my own as well, and gusseted 3 areas. Front upper shock mount, the front frame rail behind the upper mount to the front bumper and the foot peg area.

i did the same areas. except i made the gussets for the peg area then didn't put them on.

also either put better welds or gusset on the diagonal bracket that holds the steering stem. the piece with holes in it.

mine had welds weakened and about to crack so i put some nice big welds along them