PDA

View Full Version : hunters!! need tips for settin up a bobcat

redlineranger
10-16-2008, 10:43 PM
well bow season started here yesterday and i had a few does get away from me.

i went down the hill when i got home from work this afternoon and didnt see anything so i walked for a minute and it had gotten dark by then, and unfortunately i ran into a angry bobcat. it wasnt happy to begin with apparantely and seen me and started makin these goofy @ss noises so i hauled tail. i know theres no way i could get a arrow at him with my bow cus he just wouldnt stop movin and was comin at me a little quicker than i wanted him to. and plus i would rather shoot him with a gun to make sure i got him

so anyways what will they come to? meat? any kind of food that would be easily detected. im just gonna set him up and stake out in the bushes, my dad's gonna hold the light and im gonna blast him with a .270.

Quad18star
10-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Why do you want to shoot it? Chances are you just scared it and it's long gone now.

TRX_450
10-17-2008, 06:47 AM
yep, its a very rare occurance to walk up on one. bobcats are very elusive and normally are long gone by the time anything gets close enough to see them. you'll be wasting your time staking out.

bwamos
10-17-2008, 06:49 AM
If you're worried about saftey, you may bring a handgun with you while hunting.

But, I probably wouldn't bait and kill one as I beleive they are a protected species.

I'm betting he was trying to stay away from something else when he got stuck between you and another threat. That's why he probably got on the offensive, because he didn't have much choice. He may have in essence been cornered.

Pappy
10-17-2008, 06:54 AM
They may be protected in some states, but we can hunt them here. Check with your states DNR to see if it is indeed legal to kill it before you get into trouble.

Get yourself a rabbit squealer and call him in range. Use something smaller then a .270 so you can have the hide made into something so the animal isnt wasted. If you cant legally kill it, learn to deal with it, they usually will not mess with humans if given the chance.

bean2080
10-17-2008, 11:38 AM
bobcats are all over the place around here, we cant shoot them though. a couple months ago, two of them got hit on the road. too get rid of it i would just find something dead and chain it to a tree or something so it cant drag it away then just set there and shoot it. thats what we do when we coyote hunt and it works good.