PDA

View Full Version : front sprocket retainer?

bobbys9350
10-16-2008, 07:43 PM
I know this is a dumb question but how does the retainer for the front sprocket go on? I dont see any way it can keep the sprocket from coming off. Theres no way to put it on the splines AND line the holes up for the sprocket bolts.

leasureryan
10-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Because you aren't lining it up in the grove cut all the way around your countershaft. The keeper should spin all the way around freely like hands on a clock. The sprocet should be put on with the ledge or raised area in the back towards the motor, and the keeper can only be placed on the shaft 1 certain side up. if you put it on, and the holes don't line up, flip it over, and they will. The keeper is locked in place once it is bolted down. Once you do it right, you will be like "oh....duh"

It gets ya every time!

bobbys9350
10-16-2008, 08:11 PM
still dont make sense lol

NacsMXer
10-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by bobbys9350
Theres no way to put it on the splines AND line the holes up for the sprocket bolts.

Because in order to first put the retainer on, you must line up the splines. Keep in mind the holes for the bolts will not be lined up while you are doing this.

AFTER the retainer is installed onto the counter shaft you slightly rotate the retainer so that the holes in the retainer line up with the holes in the sprocket. (The retainer is allowed to spin/rotate on the groove in the counter shaft that leasureryan mentioned). After the holes are lined up, you will notice that the splines on the retainer and the counter shaft are no longer lined up.......this is what prevents the sprocket from coming off.

bobbys9350
10-16-2008, 09:01 PM
nevermind haha. I just found out that the outside threads are almost completely worn off to the point where you cant see them! Thanks for your help, the chain is gonna have to hold the sprocket on haha!

leasureryan
10-16-2008, 09:44 PM
thats dumb....just fix it

NacsMXer
10-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by bobbys9350
nevermind haha. I just found out that the outside threads are almost completely worn off to the point where you cant see them! Thanks for your help, the chain is gonna have to hold the sprocket on haha!

The threads in the sprocket are worn down?

Just get a new sprocket, simple fix. Or just get a tap, and tap new threads into it.