HondaHurley
10-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Here are the tools you will need
1. Carb cleaner
2. Clean rag
3. Medium sized philips and standard screwdrivers
4. Small or medium sized adjustable wrench

1.First Get your tools together.

2.Remove the pilot jet (idle jet) and spray with carb cleaner. (remember how many turns it is out from being all the way in if you dont know how to adjust it.)

3.Heres what it looks like, There is a small spring that sits on the end of it. Dont lose it and make sure to reinstall it.

4.Remove the 4 screws on the bottom of the carb that hold on the float bowl (be careful these have been known to strip very easily)

5.This is what you should see. The brass nut in the center is your main jet. (usually this will get gummed up or clogged, spray this whole area with carb cleaner but try to avoid the gasket)

6.Remove the main jet and plastic shroud and spray them (the jets are usually brass so be careful)

7.Here is the main jet (has a number stamped on it which is the main jet size. The bigger the number the bigger the hole to allow more fuel flow)

8.Here is the inside of the top of the carb. Make sure you spray out the inside of the needle jet real good as well as were the carb slide rubs.

9.Here is the slide, the notch in the slide needs to line up with the pin in the picture above for proper installation.

10.Spray out the overflow tube with carb cleaner

Charlie5980
11-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Where's the pictures?

HondaHurley
11-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Ill have to try to find them lol i think i might have lost them:rolleyes:

tater_kamik
11-25-2008, 07:56 AM
I would mention having an acid brush to clean as well since it seems the reason most clean the carb is because its a tad nasty and gunked up. Also if problems continue afterwards they may need to clean the petcock and replace the fuel line.

riggsracin
12-19-2008, 09:09 PM
to clean the carb right,
this is refering to diaphram carbs
pull all lines off.
remove top which holds diaphram.
pull it out with needle. look at the needle to make sure it isnt worn, look for a step in the needle to make sure it isnt worn.
next count the turn of the air screw to go all the way in. 4 stroke usually around 2 turns 2 ususally around 1 and 1/4. make sure u get spring, medal washer and o ring.
next remove carb bowl. next pull float pin out. look for worn spots. look for cracks or holes in float. pull needle valve out, if it has a removable seat unscrew it and dont loose the washer. look in the seat to make sure its not worn. if its not round it will need to be replaced. next remove main jet, slow jet and any other jets it may have. get a gallon of gum out carb acid at auto zone. now put the carb body, bowl make no rubber parts are left and then needle seat and jets in the acis. wait 20 mins and use a blow pen to clean out all tunnes in carb and the jets. next spray all the acid out with carb cleaner and the resemble just as u disaspembled. note carb cleaner will sweal all rubber parts and will damage them so dont get any on any rubber parts.

sure i left some steps out like removing the needle seat and spelled some words wrong but i think i covered most things