PDA

View Full Version : reed spacer......or not??

1promodfan
10-16-2008, 04:40 AM
Can anyone tell me what the pros and cons are for a reed spacer? My bike currently has one. Do they give better bottom......or top end? Most of my riding is just trail riding. So, should I leave it on.........or take it off???

chris46250r
10-16-2008, 05:27 AM
They help the bottom end. As easy as they are to remove or add, you should try it both ways just so you know what is better for your setup.

86 Quad R
10-16-2008, 09:59 AM
they are originally intended to take up the gap (on certain applications) from the reed cage to the carb. they create more case volume and in effect, decreases the pressure which slows the charge that travels the transfers. this is most noticable on the smaller CC engines but not so much so on the larger engines. hope this helps a bit.
:cool:

All250R
10-16-2008, 06:35 PM
I had a boxless filter bracket made that puts the carb forward 1/2" so you don't need the reed spacer when using a CR boot. The reed spacer adds about 50cc's to the crankcase. Changing the crankcase compression ratio just to physically mount a larger carb isn't exactly engine design work. Like said this will have the most negative impact on closer to stock displacement motors. It can also have a negative impact on carb suction signal again particularly for stock cylinders. I had like 20 or so of them made. Let me know if you're curious or interested.

If you're running 300+ cc's I'd venture to guess the reed spacer won't hurt you. Broadly speaking the thing to remember that people have a hard time with is that once you change a design aspect, a modification in another area may hurt or help the engine. 2stroke engines are easy to modify, but that does not mean they are easy to design and lots of people have been down on their 2stroke because they underestimated the engineering. My opinion is for most people with under 300cc's if you can stay away from the reed spacer, stay away from it.