PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for new quad to fit my XC and freestyle habits. Help!!!

Tkahne88
10-15-2008, 11:01 PM
so I have had a Honda trx250EX for quite a few years now and havent started to ride it hard til last year. Now I see I am better than what it can handle, not enough power, nor is is built for jumping big.

I am looking for a quad thats best for me.
this is what i like:

-Cross coutry/ trails
-Jumps/Stunts/ (freestyle or whatever the proper term is)
-Maybe a little racing

Those are in order of what i do most and prefer to do most.
also im looking for a bike thats in the 400 or 450 class's, and want reverse. electric start is not required b/c possible failing.

I was looking at suzuki ltz400, kawa kfx 400, honda 400ex. and then i was constantly eyeballing the yamaha yfz 450 cause its supposed to be pretty good all around. and as for the 450r, i heard its not the best TOY.
I dont want newer than 2005
i need to save some money.

If anyone can help me figure out what fits me best that would be awesome.
also, im not sure of what all of those bikes are built specifically for so id like to know that,(and the term for stunts/jumps)

Thanks!!!

Tkahne88
10-17-2008, 10:58 PM
no viewers want to comment. I could use the help!

trailrider894
11-19-2008, 08:38 PM
sorry nobody has gottten on this kinda surprising. well i have a 400ex and am not really the happiest with the power and suspension. if done right and modded right it is better than a 450r. well the kawasaki kfx450 is pretty good pretty fast to. electric start is all i have seen, i know you can get kickstart mods for some 450's. i personally don't like hondas 450's suspension/ the rear end kicks up to much when you hit tree roots and stuff. but i love the power it has. the yamaha is one i haven't been able to take to the track yet. but if i were you i would go with that one. it is all around good at everything. my favorite of all is the suzuki ltz450 i would say that one over everything else. i don't know much about 450's seeing that i have never owned one just raced a few on some xc tracks. but if you have any questions i'm sure i can answer them.

badtothebone250
11-25-2008, 07:58 AM
If your not doing too much racing then a 400ex would be perfect for you. The aftermarket is huge of these quads so you can always improve power and handling. Maintenance is a lot easier on a 400 ex than any of the 450's because there are no valves to shim every 20 hrs. Have you thought about an ol honda 250r? Easy maintenance and the ability to kick any quad in the rear end.:D