PDA

View Full Version : aonther leak!

Honda4life05
10-15-2008, 02:22 PM
I went to ride my 300ex an seen a bit of oil layin unded the quad.its not gushing out or anything but i lost about half a quart overnight. Its coming from somewhere around the left bottom motor mount.theres a hairline crack but i dont think its leaking from that. ii was wondering if there is there any common leaking points around there..

thanx

dirtdawg
10-16-2008, 08:17 PM
how are the gaskets on it? maybe the last time you took it apart, if you ever did, the gasket wasn't good anymore. a cracked case would suck.

Honda4life05
10-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Yah iv never taken the motor apart. do the gaskets usually go bad after a while? I looked for any big cracks and havnt found any.

dirtdawg
10-17-2008, 03:21 PM
yeah, they do go bad but not in 5 years. my 94 doesn't have any leaks. what about the person that may have owned it before you? or was there? it wouldn't be a bad idea to check them because they may have gotten ripped from engine components. bad gaskets can cause many problems, like stuff going in the engine, oil leaks, engine failure because of the debris.

bwamos
10-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Just to be 100% sure.. Make sure you out on a fresh copper washer when you changed your oil last time. If you forgot to put the washer on it may be leaking and running across the bottom of your engine over to the mount.

Otherwise it's coming from a sidecase gasket, or that crack you found.

Honda4life05
10-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Ok ill look to see if there is oil or a line of oil coming from there because i have never replaced the washer..but thats really gonna suck if i have to get a whole new case..

mxkids
10-21-2008, 02:58 PM
we cracked the cases around the front motor mount on ours. when it was built during the winter , had the cases welded.

Honda4life05
10-28-2008, 08:30 PM
i spent awhile cleaning all the oil off under the engine..i ran it for awhile and found the leak..there was two, one was a small crack by the mount and one was the drain plug, im gonna jb the crack an put a washer on the plug..thanx guys. I also have a little coming from the black rubber piece on the side of the motor any ideas on how to fix that??

bwamos
10-29-2008, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Honda4life05
i spent awhile cleaning all the oil off under the engine..i ran it for awhile and found the leak..there was two, one was a small crack by the mount and one was the drain plug, im gonna jb the crack an put a washer on the plug..thanx guys. I also have a little coming from the black rubber piece on the side of the motor any ideas on how to fix that??

The round rubber piece at the headcover?

Someone probably jsut forgot to put high temp silicone all the way around the rubber piece. People tend to put the rubber piece in then silicon the headcover and install. Then there missing a seal half way around that rubber piece.

Just take the head cover off, and reapply the high temp silicone.