PDA

View Full Version : oil filter

jasonex
10-15-2008, 02:01 PM
i changed my oil filter and when i was putting the cover back on i snaped a bolt and i was wondering what i should do.:confused:

400ex07
10-15-2008, 03:29 PM
The best way is to take all the bolts of that side of the engine case. I have tried doing getting it out while the engine case was on......It was a waste of time it was easier to just take the case off. Make sure u replace the gasket if you do it this way.

Rip_Tear
10-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Depending on how far in it snapped off you might just try getting a drill and using a bit (your choice on what you think might be best, drill bit, star, or a left hand drill bit would be awesome), turn the drill on reverse and put some pressure on it and see if it will spin out. I've been lucky and this has worked a couple times.

10-15-2008, 05:10 PM
i've done it too so dont feel bad lol. All the long bolts snap easy because there was something wiht the longer the bolt the more stress or something idk I forgot the reason for them snapping so easy. I had to take off the crankcase cover and use a drill to get in then back it out. I am now afraid to change my oil filters lol I have an extra gasket for it though if it does happen again. I bought the gasket and then I used a way to get the gasket off as a whole. Loosen all the bolts and take them out, Spray penetrating lubricant around the gasket and let it sit for a little. Tap the case and you can usually get it all off as a whole or use a liquid gasket. My friends actually came off with that method right away when the engine was warm. I dont know if that had something to do with it but he was running it said the clutches need to be changed so he tilted it on the side i told him about the lubricant and how you can reuse the gasket. He sprayed it on and it came right off.

CJM
10-15-2008, 07:09 PM
I would honestly try those bolt outs craftsman has, i used them before with good results.