PDA

View Full Version : Pilot tune (plug appearance?)

MtnEX
10-14-2008, 04:39 PM
OK... if you are starting great, even cold, and you have tuned your pilot circuit...

What does your plug look like?

Is it reading real rich?

Wheelie
10-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Personally I don't read the plug for pilot circuit or needle position. I tune by throttle response off idle, idle quality and ease of starting. I do the same for needle position, except for mid-range throttle response and power.

Don't base all your jetting off plug reading, IMO, it's not the holy grail end all to getting jetting right. Base your jetting on how the quad runs, throttle response and plug reading.

My 02.

drew416ex
10-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah I tune the way wheelie does. But yes, mine runs best a little rich as far as the pilot circuit goes.

GPracer2500
10-15-2008, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Wheelie
Personally I don't read the plug for pilot circuit or needle position. I tune by throttle response off idle, idle quality and ease of starting. I do the same for needle position, except for mid-range throttle response and power.

Don't base all your jetting off plug reading, IMO, it's not the holy grail end all to getting jetting right. Base your jetting on how the quad runs, throttle response and plug reading.

My 02.

That was well said.

NacsMXer
10-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Wheelie

My 02.

Definitely the way to go here.

Recently my quad would hold a decent idle, but would occasionally stall itself out spontaneously. Also if riding along with the clutch pulled in, sometimes the second i'd hit the gas it would "spit" and die out. My idle screw was maxed out so that couldn't mediate the problem.

Didn't know whether the idle circuit was lean or rich, so I turned in my pilot screw about a 1/4-1/2 turn to lean it out a bit for starters. Right when I started the quad it had a much healthier, faster idle. I was then able to lower my idle screw setting from completely maxed. So I guess I was just too rich in that circuit all along.

MtnEX
10-15-2008, 09:26 PM
It seems with mine that I have to almost flood it with richness in order to get it to start well now that it's getting cool again.

I spent most of one cool morning backing the pilot screw out a little at a time until it cranked without dying 2 seconds later.

But then the pilot screw is far out and the plug is reading super rich.

I was wondering if that was just how it was with these things and figured it was worth asking considering many of you are using 42 pilot jets. I thought you all might be rich on the circuit.