PDA

View Full Version : tank help please

blaster51
10-14-2008, 02:28 PM
hi on my new bike i was staring to strip it for a rebuild and as soon as i stared on the frount plastic i realised that the tank inserts were spinning how can i fix this ? thank you luke

mxrcr103
10-16-2008, 04:58 PM
This is a common problem. I was very careful and removed the fenders to expose the bolt a little more. You can take a flat head screwdriver and spend a little time and you can pop the plastic off without much damage. Then you can take vise grips and easily hold on to the outer ears around the bolt. Take a ratchet while holding with the visegrips and remove the bolt. You can simply reinstall the bolt as is and reapply the same techneak the next time you need to remove the plastic. Or you can pull the metal sleeve that the bolt goes into out of the tank. The tank is molded around the sleeve. To pull it out of the tank you might half to put the bolt back in and turn it to further loosen it. then take the visegrips grab the bolt and pull like crazy. After you get it out mix up some JB weld and reinstall. I hope all that made since.