PDA

View Full Version : sprockets and chain problems

bignasty
10-14-2008, 11:19 AM
We have been having a problem with my son breaking the chain and also bending the teeth on the rear sprocket. I have checked the tension on the chain befored every race and it seems fine. But it keeps breaking the chain at the master link. The only i think can be happening is that I notched the frame right where the chain would hit right near the rear right motor mount. I welded a piece of channel into the frame to kindaof create a channel that i thought would help in keeping the chain aligned. Any ideas? I did order a framersaver that is suppose to eliminate the engine mounting bolt and has a roller attached to it. :rolleyes: :eek2:

ZTR_MAN
10-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Do you have any pics of your frame where the chain is eating through it? I need some good pics to put up showing this problem. I think there are a lot of people that are unaware of this issue. They become aware of it after it has caused significant damage.

Your problems should be solved after installing the ZTR Frame Saver.

Have a great one,

yfz450ba
10-15-2008, 11:54 AM
If you are using a stock chain, get rid of it. also remove the chain tensioner and add a chain sider. I got one from Hetrick, but my neighbor went to the local shop and they had one for another bike, and he added it to hid kids quad. no more chain problems

bignasty
10-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Oh yeah the stock chain is long gone, I have been using a DID chain, but had changed to a RK chain. Only problem I have been having with the RK chain is that the last race it rode on top of the front sprocket and messed up the teeth. It hasn't broken though! Would you have a pic on the chain slider? Never seen one. Thanks!

yfz450ba
10-20-2008, 10:23 AM
just sold the quad with it on it. I will try to go to my buddies and take a pic of it.

XXX -rider
10-22-2008, 04:15 PM
consider swapping over to a "520" chain & sprocket set-up ;)

bignasty
10-22-2008, 06:42 PM
thought about that not sure if I can find the sprockets to work.. If you know someone that makes them let me know:)

mick105
10-22-2008, 09:03 PM
I think you can get them from rebel gear. You will lose power by doing this. There is better ways. A roller on your top motor mount will fix the frame problem and a chain slide from a 85 cc dirt bike will fix your tension problem. The clip falling off could be from the frame or possible from being put on backwards. any questions give me a call 507 895 9494 my name is rod;)

mmullins14
10-23-2008, 06:49 AM
You can can the sprockets from Rebel gears. I have used 428 and 520 and have never been able to measure a power loss. The 520 setup will basically eliminate chain and sprocket issues. It may be easier on tranny gears, but I have no proof of that.

XXX -rider
10-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by mmullins14
The 520 setup will basically eliminate chain and sprocket issues. It may be easier on tranny gears, but I have no proof of that.
very true about eliminating issues...& he could be correct on the gears ..we dont race quads (mainly bikes) as much as some here but have never busted up any gears as of yet