PDA

View Full Version : MY trailer brakes wont work?!?!?!?!

wildwheelerb200
10-13-2008, 07:20 PM
hey everyone i just got a 16ft daul axle trailer. i hooked it up to my buddies truck that i know his trailer brakes work. I tested the electtric brakes on the trailer and there is nothing. But then i pulled the emergency lanyard on the trailer its so the brakes lock up incase the trailer falls off the brakes lock up.The brakes worked. All the emergency lanyard is is a battery that engages the brakes when the chord is pulled. Theres one wire leading to the brakes that i assume is power. Is there anything that is a simple fix. i cannot see anything not working since they work when lanyard is pulled but not when you hit the brakes from inside the truck. any help??

dmaxx
10-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Check the settings on your controller, try using the manual part of the controller to see if it engages if not I would say its the plug. Check and or replace your plug.

wilkin250r
10-14-2008, 02:14 AM
Sometimes you get so involved in a project, it become difficult to step back and look at the big picture. So let me help you see the big picture, I'll spell it out for you:

The emergency lanyard works-- This means that the brakes themselves are indeed functional.

So what does that tell you? It says to me that you are not getting power to your brakes from the truck. Either the truck doesn't actually work, or the wiring on the trailer is wrong.

The truck could be several possibilities, from a bad connection, wiring, or a faulty brake controller.

dmaxx
10-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Isn't this what I just said?:confused:

Premis
10-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Take a battery pack or a good car battery, using wires, connect the ground lead to the ground on the plug, then hook the hot lead to the trailer brakes on the plug. If they work your problem is the truck, if they don't your problem lies between the plug and the trailer brake battery.

These may help

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/faq/wiring_6_pole_500.jpg

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/faq/wiring_7_pole_500.jpg