PDA

View Full Version : need help

rmuscle
10-13-2008, 05:25 PM
having a few issues , hopefully someone can help me out. have 08 drr 70 l/c .

1st issue is temp light seems to come on after a little while of riding , exspecialy if riding hard. i have bled out the head to see if there was air , i feel my jetting is good and i am not running to lean. i am running engine ice. now i havent tested to see if senser is bad yet by switching it with one off my other bike , but i did run it till light came on then hit it with infer red senser on the head and temp was at 130 to 135 is this normal or is that to high , and if so what else could be my problem.

2nd issue.as bike heats up and senser light comes on seems to lag from a dead start and then takes off like a rocket. but when first starting up it takes off like a rocket from a dead strart. now i have 1500 koso spring with 2000 shoe springs and split 4.5 /5 rollers.could it just be as the spring heats up my weights are just a bit to heavy and that is causing my problem and it is just a coinsidence that my temp light is coming on at the same time.

sorry to be so long but want to explain right. thanks in advance

mudder700
10-13-2008, 06:16 PM
adjust your air screw, it may be lazy off of the line if it is not adjusted properly, these quads are finicky, I always adjust mine at every race to get the best performance, I think I would do as you said and check your sensor, what does your other quad run for a temp?

mudder700
10-13-2008, 06:17 PM
whats your plug look like, might be too lean and running hot, check your plug color, get it looking the color of chocolate milk....

VTXRaider
10-13-2008, 07:49 PM
I have a new 90 L/C and have the same issue with the temp light. My head temps out at 180 after about 5 minutes of running and then stays the same. I had the same question so my dealer called Lou at DRR and he said as long as it's under 275 I should be OK and it must just be a bad sensor causing the light to go on. I am currently waiting for the new sensor. I'm no expert but your lag sounds to me like a carb tuning issue. I don't adjust the needles until it gets warm. Mine in comparison is a little sluggish in the beginning and then gets much better as the engine warms up. I had to totally rejet the carb when I got the unit. The pilot jet came with a 40 and I went to a 48, the main had to be dropped down to a 110. Obviously your settings will be entirely different based on where you live.

bulldogfallon
10-13-2008, 09:27 PM
275 degrees seems a bit high to me???

I don't think that is accurate to go by...

Lag is most likely linked to your CVT

Drop roller weight .25 gram and see if it goes away

If not then adjust your carb.

Tuning carb while warm is needed as well

We will runs ours so it is lean when first started, but runs much crisper once the engine warms

rmuscle
10-14-2008, 05:27 AM
will try and drop roller weights and see what heppens. i think that is my issue. it is a new spring so im assumung it is starting to break in and soften up a bit. what would be a normal idle rpm ?

thanks ron

VTXRaider
10-14-2008, 05:58 AM
Gary do you think the 180 degree temps I'm getting with my temp gun are to high and causing the light to go on or do think the sensor could be bad? I wasn't sure what the number should be and I don't want to be overheating the engine. The person I bought the quad from didn't know either so he called Lou and that's where I got the 275 number.

Thanks

hotquads1
10-14-2008, 06:00 PM
if we run our liquid cooled DRR's with a number plate on front the light comes on, because it blocks the air to the radiator. but with the xfr air flow bumper problem is solved.
marc

bulldogfallon
10-14-2008, 10:27 PM
With a temp gauge in place of the temp sensor we ran our stock 90 today anywhere between 135 to 160 degrees ...

The temp under the spark plug was between 190 to 280 (changed rapidly under acceleration), but the water temp was fairly stable.

rmuscle
10-15-2008, 05:20 AM
thanks for the info gary , that means it is probably just my senser.