PDA

View Full Version : anybody here good with spray paint?

SET THE STAGE
10-13-2008, 12:08 PM
i painted my hubs like a week ago and the paint is still like... soft? i can dig my nail in no problem.

any thing i should try to help it cure or maybe try a coat of clear?

pro-rider46
10-13-2008, 12:12 PM
sounds like a crappy paint, or you did not prep it correctly. If you totally strip it, it might dry better(unless you already did strip it) also make sure its in a dry area with little humidity and warm, 75*.

ask mxjunkie, he is very fond of paints.

SET THE STAGE
10-13-2008, 12:16 PM
nah, i stripped it all and sanded lightly so it had somewhere to seat and whatever else. it looks perfect, it's just ****in' soft haha

thinking about just sending them off to pappy. how much does he charge for front hubs together?

Pappy
10-13-2008, 12:45 PM
depends on the color, but usually around $20 each. Ditch the rattle can and get them done so they last more then a ride:eek2:

SRH
10-13-2008, 12:45 PM
too much not enough drying between coats

SRH
10-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
depends on the color, but usually around $20 each. Ditch the rattle can and get them done so they last more then a ride:eek2:

agreed, pappy's pc is super strong ive even wailed some of his translucent stuff with a hammer:chinese: no chips

<DRS>GPF
10-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Ditch the rattle can and get them done so they last more then a ride:eek2:

yup, good advice..

youll never be satisfied otherwise.

10-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
yup, good advice..

youll never be satisfied otherwise.

unless your painting something to do it cheaper but still look nice. Kid down the road from me used to spray paint his cars and they came out so good you would never be able to tell its spray paint. Another is roll on paint. Roll on paint to a car is even better.

ZeroLogic
10-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Spray paint takes forever to dry. When I spray painted my bikes frame, it took two weeks and I let it sit for another few weeks. I stripped it, cleaned it up so good you could eat off of it, sprayed a few coats of primer, a bunch of coats of the color spray paint I wanted (flat black). I did two coats a day for around five days. Then threw on around four or five coats of clear coat ontop of that and just let it sit. Its hard as a rock now.:macho

54warrior
10-14-2008, 05:52 AM
I spray painted (2 coats) and cleared (3 coats) these a-arm guards that I made out of old road signs. Hasn't held up too badly so far. There isn't any hardener in spray paint though, that's why it seems 'soft'. You can see where the lower a-arms (near the mtg. points) were painted with automotive paint and it isn't holding up as well for some strange reason. These pics are after 2 years of hard riding.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s245/54warrior/Quad/S6300402Large.jpg