PDA

View Full Version : Buy this truck or not???

HotRod2Fitty
12-11-2002, 12:16 PM
OK I have a little dilemma. I have been looking for a truck for a while now and came across one that I might consider. Its a 1981 Ford F-100. It has some bed rust around the wheel wells (where they all rust), its gonna need new cab corners, and probably a new panels in the bed.(again fender wells rusted) But the frame is in good. Now ive looked at some of these on the internet and they seem pretty rare, and to add to the problem its a shortbed, and I REALLY LIKE short beds, it would look REALLY NICE fixed up. The other thing is the the engine needs a tune up. But the guy is only asking 500 bucks. I need some advice, what do you guys think?

Thanks
Matt

HotRod2Fitty
12-11-2002, 12:19 PM
Here is what it COULD look like, But this isnt it.

MOUSE
12-11-2002, 12:21 PM
is the motor in good shape? and do you have the ability to fix the body or have a reputable shop around you that will give you a good price. one thing about body rust if you dont fix it right the first time it will come back to bite you after you have paid several grand for all the work and paint. but if you just want a beat around truck and the motor is in good shape get it. is it 4x4?

HotRod2Fitty
12-11-2002, 12:21 PM
Heres another pic, but the one im talking about isnt a stepside.

HotRod2Fitty
12-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Mouse I was thinking the same thing too. The only way to do it right is to actually do a frame off restoration. The motor runs rough and could use a tune up. My dad is the manager of a welding supply store and knows many expert welders and bodyshops.

HotRod2Fitty
12-11-2002, 12:25 PM
I forgot to say its only 2 wheel drive too.:confused:

MOUSE
12-11-2002, 12:43 PM
i guess you just got to set back get some idea of how much you will have in it, figure up some estimates on what it would take to get it like you want it and add about 1500.00 to that figure (just to be safe) and decide if its worth it to you. personelly i wouldnt unless it was 4 wheel drive :macho

2fastandfurious
12-11-2002, 01:09 PM
RIP OFF! I got an 87 F-150 long bed for $500 with no rust and it came with a new water pump, alternator, and more...........
-Ben
You jsut gotta look a long time and work the person down. It took me a year to find this jewel. No it has 20 inch rims and is lowred with a nice blaze orange paint job and a stero system that make people never want to ride with me again.

motochris
12-11-2002, 01:24 PM
You also need to check the floorboards for rust and rot... Also check the body mounts to see if there is bad rust on them or if there coming through... Make sure the motor just needs a tune-up and the compression isnt low in the cylinders... Check the dipstick and look at the oil on it to see if there is any metal flakes in it... Check the antifreeze to make sure its not low... Also see what kind of leaks the engine or trans has...

But with that kind of rust your going to be putting some money into it and i hope you have a good job... But if you like it that is what counts in the end anyway..............;)

MOFO
12-11-2002, 01:29 PM
what motor is in it? My dad used to have a 81 F100 with the 300 I6 engine with a 4 speed back in the day. That thing was a torque monster for a gas engine....

Eric

Sparks425Ex
12-11-2002, 01:31 PM
Somethimg for 500 bucks that runs. Ya can't beat that. I say Buy It

300exazzkikr
12-11-2002, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't buy it because you would have to put a lot of money into it. Then if you add that up you could find a better truck for that amount of money. just my 2 cents.

HotRod2Fitty
12-11-2002, 01:54 PM
It has the 300 I6 in it, but i think it will just be a money trap.
So im going with what you guys said and im not getting it.
Ill just wait for the right truck at the right time.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Matt

chris4w1
12-11-2002, 02:18 PM
if the frame isnt shot yet it will be beceause we have and 85 and a 89 and both frames are in pretty rough shape

Moded86R
12-11-2002, 05:43 PM
I think you made the right choice.Project vehicles cost go up quickly.

I have a 1990 chevy 3/4 ton 4wd extended cab.It is really my dads.Anyway when he bought it the 5 speed tranny's input bearing was froze.So we swapped a 700r4 in it.To do it right with the different transfer case,steering column with the shifter and everything.We found a guy that wold us everything for 700 bucks.Then the bed was rotted out.As well as the front fenders,And the cab corners down at the bottom by the rear windows.Now we have 4-grand in a truck and it is 5 different colors and looks horrible.The interior is falling apart.Not to mention all it's other problems.The thing is though I can gaurantee you I can go start it up right now and drive it.And it is 4wd.

HotRod2Fitty
12-11-2002, 07:10 PM
Yeah I think id be better off with a nice chevy, besides i never was a ford guy. Anyone in Pa know where i can find a decent Chevy short bed 4x4. Ive been looking in the truck trader and didnt find anything for a reasonable price.

chris4w1
12-11-2002, 08:07 PM
check the paper shop
www.thepapershop.com
is their website

12-11-2002, 08:44 PM
god trucks are hard to find lol i found a decent one bought it the guy was writing the price on it whne i bought it lol i left it in his driveway trucked i a corner with the lettering still on it and this was thanksgiving day and 4 people stil offered him money infact more than what i bought it for lol i got a deal on mine i bought it to fix it up and then sell it but not ot make much money just to learn how to do body work ect. I have to always have a project as of the past 2 months i have done 3 projects or are still working on them i took the wheeler apoart and pced it thn now im making snowmobile skis ofr the wheeler and now im starting to work on my truck which will prolly take a while after im done with that im gonna be starting to cut wood with my boss for next winter lol i always have fun projects to do lol i need to stay busy plus its the way i learn how to do everything. OK heres my thoughts on it if you want to learn how to do alll the work buy the truck for 500 or less bargain with the guy then fix it up and sell it for 500 plus the amount of money u put inot it fixing it up dont bother trying to make money cause you wont just try to break even iv found that it takes up my time but i find it alot of fun and VERy VEry rewarding to see the product. so id say dont do it if your not interested in learning how to do it or dont have time
killer

L.Vegas400
12-12-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by HotRod2Fitty
Anyone in Pa know where i can find a decent Chevy short bed 4x4.
im not in pa, actually a long ways from it. i know where you can get a 98, gmc, swb, z71, 5.7L, leather, power everything, red. *cough*149,000mi*cough*grumble* had to clear my throat. anything is for sale at the right price.

12-12-2002, 04:17 AM
holy crrap thats so many miles for a 98 what did the person do just drive the truck all day all year lol holy crap.
killer

Racing Rice
12-12-2002, 07:40 AM
I had a 1980 F-100, It was pretty rusted up but the Straight 6 ran like a champ. So I couldnt complain to much. As long as its running its probably worth 500 bones.