PDA

View Full Version : valve experts

cals400ex
12-11-2002, 12:08 PM
my 400ex needs a valve adjustment. do i adjust the valves to stock specs when i have a pipe, filter, and jetting? i would think the only time i would need to adjust them differently is when i have a cam and other internals but i needed your help. also, is their any keys or tricks that you do to save time or effort when adjusting valves? thanks for the help

YZROOSTINYA
12-11-2002, 12:15 PM
it probally doesn't even need adjustment, just check it. i have yet to see wear on mine or my buddies quads

to stock is correct

300exazzkikr
12-11-2002, 02:41 PM
do stock specs.

2qk4u
12-11-2002, 02:56 PM
hey yzrroost, did your bike really wakeup when you did the piston and stage 2? let me know. getting ready to drop a stage 2 in mine

YZROOSTINYA
12-12-2002, 03:43 AM
BIG TIME

it has SO much more power, it revs so nice

f the stage 1, of course i use to ride 2 strokes so.

hills that i would bog down in second i can now shift into third on and accelerate.

Leo02400ex
12-12-2002, 05:13 AM
I recently checked my valves to see if there had been any changes since new and you should definatelly check them and adjust. My exhaust valves were at .005 and .006 instead of the .004 and my quad is not that old. As for the tricks, I couldnt really see any shortcuts but with taking off all the plastics, snorkle, caps, etc. you can be to the valves in less than 15 minutes..

Extremeracer167
12-12-2002, 09:20 AM
yeah the stock settings SHOULD BE: Intake .004 and the exhaust should be at .005. Keeping your valves in check makes a big differance in performance!

cals400ex
12-14-2002, 12:50 AM
well i checked my valves after the dealer adjusted them just to see what they looked like and they seemed tight to me. you would definately have to wiggle the feeler guage back and forth to move it while it was inbetween the rocker arm and the sub-rocker arm. i did put it at top dead center also. is this how it should be? i just thought they should be a little looser but i am new to this so i don't know. thanks

Leo02400ex
12-14-2002, 06:55 AM
With any feeler gauge you want to feel some resistencebut not pinching. Almost just a dragging feeling accross the two surfaces. Also make sure there is no rust on the feelers and they have some sort of oil on them.. When you adjust them in the future adjust the gap with the feeler gauge in position by sliding it back and forth and while adjusting if the feeler gauge starts to get pinched or stops moving back and forth its to tight. When tightening there is a balance between holding the adjustment and tightening the lock not since the tightening of the lock nut many times will begin to close the gap (.004 and .005)you are trying to set. After it is tightened then move the feeler gauge back and forth again to make sure it has gotten any smaller.