PDA

View Full Version : Just cant seem to figure this out and need help!

michaelj
10-12-2008, 07:19 PM
I am running a 04 450R carb. with a stock air box with a 48 pilot at 2.5 turns and a 175 main and it runs spot on.

I bought a aluminum air box with a KN cover top. Now it pops a ton and is really lean. So I bumped it up to a 190 main and a 48 pilot at 3 turns out, it runs great at wide open and mid but pops a ton still on decel. so I bumped the pilot to a 50 and it idles extremely fast with the 50 but not the 48. I have the idle turned all the way down and the throttle cable is fine. I dont no what to do next? It idles so fast to the point of almost being unable to ride.

One thing I noticed that the 50 pilot is a longer length Keihin jet than the stock 48.

hauck400ex
10-12-2008, 07:34 PM
go back to the 48 pilot since pilot only helps at idle and up to 1.4 throttle... is ur needle adjustable? i would try moving the clip to a different position on the needle... maybe down one notch?

michaelj
10-12-2008, 07:37 PM
do you think the needle position is what is making it idle extremely fast?

EMX5636
10-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Post some specs up of your engine mods... I was all backwards about main jetting the 450r carb when I first put mine on. I can probably give you some insight if I know a little more.

Justin

MtnEX
10-13-2008, 12:09 AM
You bumped the pilot to a 50... and what did you do on the pilot screw?

Check that and your throttle cable play.

michaelj
10-13-2008, 07:47 AM
the throttle cable looks perfect I checked it several times, I have the pilot screw at 2 turns out

running a:
465 motor
stroker
r4 exhaust
aluminum air box
kn cover on air box
dual foam pro filter
04 450R carb.
port and polish

MtnEX
10-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Did you reach 2 turns out by tuning, or just set it there?

If you didn't, go in and see what happens.

Myself, I had the high idle happen to me on the stock carb... and it was because I didn't have the carb synchronization dialed in right (slide-butterfly timing). I fixed that properly and it went away.

michaelj
10-13-2008, 05:53 PM
I just set it there, I dont know what you mean by the slide butterfly synchronation-I just adjust it with the idle scew and the throttle cable which you can see if you take the black plastic plate off and look at it from the side?

Help me out..

MtnEX
10-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by michaelj
I just set it there, I dont know what you mean by the slide butterfly synchronation-I just adjust it with the idle scew and the throttle cable which you can see if you take the black plastic plate off and look at it from the side?

Help me out..

Sorry it took me so long... didn't realize you posted back....

I have a thread here on how to set the sync on the stock 400EX carb.

My guess is that it might be similar, but I am not familiar with the 450R carb. You'd have to look this up in a service manual or ask the 450R guys.... You'd want to be sure cause you just never know.