PDA

View Full Version : The Winter Ride

Ryan
10-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Usually I do not look forward to the winter... And I hate watching hundreds of snowmobiles pass my house every year..... (Because im jelous!) :macho ;)

It was about time I got me one!

I asked a friend of mine if he knew anyone with a sled for sale... He told me he had 2 580's that have been sittin in his garage for 2 years.

He gave me a price of $1,160 (- $40 due to a bad battery.) I jumped on the deal and picked it up Friday.

Popped a new battery in her, and she fired up faster than my YFZ. Only thing I gotta do to it is fiberglass one of the hood mounts back on.

1996 arctic cat ext 580 deluxe....

Ryan
10-12-2008, 05:14 PM

Ryan
10-12-2008, 05:15 PM
3- Anyone who has or ridden one of these... Let me know what you think of them...

Ryan
10-12-2008, 05:16 PM
I was tempted to run her on the dirt :D

Ryan
10-12-2008, 05:17 PM
FIF

Ryan
10-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Got an old dog sled made by arctic cat to run behind her.... Just gotta weld a small hitch for it.....

This dog sled is about 30-40 yrs old.... It was originally my fathers when he was a kid. I bought it back from my uncle..... After a little sand paper and paint. Its good to go...

Should be real fun!

Ryan
10-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Heres another picture that came off my camera.... This is my friends custom upside down bicycle.... The frame is upside down, its got an old car steering wheel (wood was rotted off), To get on, you gotta step on a foot looking gas peddle mountin by the rear wheel, and to break, you gotta pull a herse shifter... LOL

Definitly a cool bike... And scary to ride after a few drinks :o

Ryan
10-12-2008, 05:25 PM

Its so funny having big jeeps and trucks passing you, looking up at you thinking, "WTF is that thing?" :p

Ryan
10-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Last one- Couldn't get good pics of it... It was pitch black out.....

He was in no shape to ride that thing... He toke a nasty fall... :p

Kickstarts-suck
10-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Lol that bike is sweet.

Nice snowmobile Ive never ridden one before but would like to. (never even seen snow)

10-12-2008, 07:24 PM
congrats man, looks lik a great deal

i've been snowmobiling for as long as i can remember, when i was 4 my parents bought me a 120 for xmas and i'v been in love ever since

im currently rollin on a 2000 polaris 800 triple and a polaris indy 500

its always great to see someone get into the sport

Ryan
10-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Snowmobiling is so much fun! I've ridden them a couple of times, and always wanted one....

I can't really ride the atv around here much.... But once the snow falls, I can run the sled for miles and miles.

10-13-2008, 08:58 PM
same here, hell you can ride from one side of the state to the other, i kno i guy tht rode from cleveland to buffalo

Quad18star
10-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Not too shaby of a deal. What's the mileage on it?

Your best bet is to change all the fluids , change the belt and change the spark plugs. Before the snow falls check all the idler bearings ( bearings inside the wheels on the track) make sure they are tight and no play. Check your cables and make sure they are good ... also check the brake pads.

Another good idea is to make sure you always carry a spare belt with you and learn how to change the belt before you get out onto the trails. I can't count how many times I've seen guys stuck out on the trails trying to figure out how to change their belt or they don't have the right tools in the tool pouch.

Hope you have a good season .... sledding is a blast.

Ryan
10-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the info quadstar.

It has 1900 miles on it... I changed all the fluids, changed the plugs, greased everything up, and the brake pads look good.... I didn't really inspect the belt, and im not formilar with the track, so i'll make sure I check the idler bearings..... And now that you mention it, I forgot to grease the cables.

I gotta go over everything once more, I just did what I could on Saturday... Spent 2 hours trying to refiberglass one of the hood latches back on..... Needless to say, I gotta do it over.

But I hear its gonna be a cold, snowy winter. Who knows how accurate that is. But when it snows, im gone. It will get alot of use this year.

I almost just as excited to test out that dog sled! Should be real dangerous :devil:

Quad18star
10-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Just lube the cables ... don't grease them.

I know a guy that packed the throttle housing on a quad full of grease and it allowed for the throttle to stay stuck wide open .... the guy broke his back.

Ryan
10-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Yikes! But when I said grease, I meant using chain and cable lube ;)

10-14-2008, 12:51 PM
I got an offtopic question... How old are you? I ask because I know a lot of people from the Warwick/Pine island area that ride/race, maybe you know some.

Ryan
10-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Im 20 .... I really don't know many people around here who race... I just ran into an old friend with an LTR who just bought a house and has 140 acrea's to ride on, so that was pretty cool...

If you gave me the names of the people, I'd probably know who they are.

What town are you from?
Im always lookin for people to ride with. So if you, or anyone else in my area rides, or knows good places to ride, definitly let me know.