PDA

View Full Version : Any tricks for seized swinger bolt removal???

leasureryan
10-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Went to change my front sproket. must have blew the bearings out a couple of weeks ago on my last ride at Briarcliff MX. Went to take it apart, and behold....seized like every other swinger bolt!!! Got the bolt to spin with an impact....so it's not really seized, but it still won't come out. I have beat it till the tip mushroomed, still nothing. Almost like there is a circlip holding it....it won't budge!

any tricks?

10-12-2008, 04:58 PM
my brothers was the same it would spin fine but it wouldnt move. 3lb stone hammer and a punch got it out but it also ruined the bolt and he had to get another one. I see on Houser swingarms they have a grease zerk on the swingarm so it wont seize up. Unless its getting stuck on the engine case part then I dont know what to do. Try spraying a lot of penetrating liquid on it and let it soak in.

lilyamaharacer4
10-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Spray it down everywhere you can with pb blaster, let it soak over night. Next day spray it again then get a big hammer and hit it like ya got a pair.

leasureryan
10-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Oh I have a couple sets...trust me!

It has been PB Blasted all to hell...I'll let it sit overnight. Then hit it again tomarow
I went out and bought an air hammer.....still nothing

I'm going to have to borrow a BIGGER BFH from work tomarrow. This sucks!

I'm scared to F up my frame. I don't want to chip my powder coating....but whatever it takes I guess

shrtbuss01
10-15-2008, 06:26 PM
I have a 2001 ex. I had the same problem. I warmed it with a torch, soaked it with PB Blaster for 2 days, Beat it till it mushroomed with a 5lb. sledge. and even used my air hammer on it. Still nothing would budge. Finaly had to sacrifice my swing arm and cut the swing arm out and the pieces of the bolt. A solution to the problem would be to take the new bolt from honda and drilling some small pilot holes in the bolt it's self cap off the end where the nut goes with a plug and on the other end install a zerk fitting so that you can grease the bolt periodicaly to prevent the bolt from seizing up. I will have to look up the specs on the plug and grease fitting and get back to you. Good Luck!!!

Off-Road Maniac
10-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan
Went to change my front sproket. must have blew the bearings out a couple of weeks ago on my last ride at Briarcliff MX. Went to take it apart, and behold....seized like every other swinger bolt!!! Got the bolt to spin with an impact....so it's not really seized, but it still won't come out. I have beat it till the tip mushroomed, still nothing. Almost like there is a circlip holding it....it won't budge!

any tricks?

sometimes heat will help but I think i ended up cutting it out and taking it out in pieces......

AZ440ex
10-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by shrtbuss01
A solution to the problem would be to take the new bolt from honda and drilling some small pilot holes in the bolt it's self cap off the end where the nut goes with a plug and on the other end install a zerk fitting so that you can grease the bolt periodicaly to prevent the bolt from seizing up. I will have to look up the specs on the plug and grease fitting and get back to you. Good Luck!!!

You can get one on ebay that has a zerk. I think about 65 bucks

Brauap
10-15-2008, 06:39 PM
The best oil I had found is.. well I don't know the name.. but it is in a orange with a red cap.. its awesome.. well spray it with w/e you want and use a BFH.

big95xj
10-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Just wondering but why were you even taking your swingarm bolt out to change the sprocket?

leasureryan
10-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by big95xj
Just wondering but why were you even taking your swingarm bolt out to change the sprocket?

I had to loosen the chain....which is when I discovered the bad swinger bearings. Kindof a chain of unfortunate events.

I'm not a waterhead.....so don't think I removed my swingarm to replace a sprocket

big95xj
10-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Ok that makes alil more since...

Brauap
10-17-2008, 02:25 PM
So, is yours out yet?

Ruby Soho
10-17-2008, 02:43 PM
had to cut mine out. it wasn't fun but mine was untouched since it was installed in 1999 (previous owner wasn't to good at maintaining)

leasureryan
10-17-2008, 07:02 PM
yeah it's out....junt now. Had to cut it out in several peices.....no fun. But hey, it's done. Now I have to wait for my new swinger to get here

and install this advanced timing key

Brauap
10-17-2008, 10:36 PM
I took mine out today. was a pain! But took me about 4 hours.. used a 4lb rock mini sludge, tortch, lube, and a big screw driver and my dremil tool... and I got it out in once peice.. Wasn't hard, just time consumming...

bigredisb
10-18-2008, 05:37 AM
So reading these posts is making me really nervous about the bolt in my 07 and 08. Is it worth me removing the bolt on both my machines and smearing them with with antiseize?? I want to make sure that when the time comes I dont have a large issue on my hands.

Ruby Soho
10-18-2008, 06:26 AM
they should be fine in the 07/08's, but i think hornetgod had an 06 which had a frozen bolt after about a year i think.

try and pop them out and lube them up good, then just remove them every month or 2 and re-do it

leasureryan
10-18-2008, 06:41 AM
don't use anit-seize. That **** dries up and makes it worse. Use waterproof grease. Honestly....to me it seems like every swinger bolt, reguardless of the year. Even the CRF's have a problem with this. Personaly, mine will be removed atleast once every couple of months. It's not hard to take out a rear shouck bolt, impact the swinger nut off, and punch it out. Trust me, you don't want it to seize

krt400ex
10-19-2008, 09:47 AM
buddy owns a repair shop, and the same thing happened to him. he worked on it for two days, and no luck. PB rust buster, wd 40, heat, air hammer...everything imaginable. he ended up cutting the bolt out. this was only two days ago btw...lol

bigredisb
10-19-2008, 10:54 AM
I believe I have the problem at bay in the future for me. I took the bolt out of my 07 and I drilled 5 very small holes across the bolt in the areas I believe would benefit from lube. I then drilled and tapped the end opposite the nut and installed a grease zerk (5/16 inch I believe). Once it was in I drilled and tapped the threaded end, cleaned the hollow area of the bolt out and ran a 5/16 bolt in about 1/4 inch. I then cut the remaining portion of the bolt I ran in till it was flush with the swing arm bolt. Now that I had this done she flows waterproof grease great out of the 5 small holes I drilled earlier. I would recommend loosening the swinger nut a little to allow grease to flow a little easier.

The bad news is that my 08's bolt is sezed pretty good already and I have only rode it 3 times. So when I do get this pivot bolt out I am going to do the same thing to it.

10-19-2008, 11:04 AM
use white lithium grease or send it off to get moly coated and then use white lithium grease.