PDA

View Full Version : my new 05 400ex running rough

bmfgsxr
10-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Just got my 05'. It had been sitting for about a year without any use and with no fuel stabilizer. I put a new battery in it and it starts up no problem. However, it's not running right, it's running rough and it stalls a lot off the line it hesitates and bucks, until you get the rpm's up high. I drained the gas tank, put in fresh fuel with a carberator cleaner , ran it for about 30-45 mins, still the same. I'm thinking a clogged fuel filter or the carberator needs to be cleaned. I don't have a manual so I don't know if there is an in line filter or an in tank filter. Any help would be appreciated.

drew416ex
10-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah take the carb off and give it a good cleaning.

bjg696
10-14-2008, 03:06 PM
X2. If it had any gas left in the carb, it will gum up and make the quad run like crap. That should fix ur problem.

bmfgsxr
10-15-2008, 05:32 AM
i actually had the local powersports shop pick it up since the owner/mechanic is an experienced guy. i had him clean the carb, run a compression check, etc. etc.. he said the carb was completely varnished, and he let the parts soak in the acid wash for hours to get them clean. compression was perfect, and he said besides having a really dirty carb from sitting so long its a really clean machine. ill be getting it when i get home from work today so im pretty psyched. i figured it was a better route to go having a shop do the work and checking everything else out since i just bought the thing that way if there were any other problems i would have some recourse with the previous owner.

bmfgsxr
10-16-2008, 05:23 AM
got it back from the shop.. all is well. compression is great, tranny is great, suspension tight, everything is in tip top shape, and now she runs great too. i had the guy go through the entire quad looking for any and everything possible, but in the end it needed a new plug, serious carb cleaning/adjusting, had him change the oil while it was in there, and lube up the rear brake slide since it was sticking due to lack of grease. this quad was sitting for a little over a year without being used and without the gas being turned off so these things can happen, but otherwise its virtually like new. thanks for the info.