PDA

View Full Version : YFZ or LTR?

XCRacer236
10-12-2008, 12:09 PM
alright guys, im gonna be 16 in the off season so im gonna move up to a 450. i race XC as you can tell from my siganture, and my dad and i love both bikes. we just dont know which one would be better. im coming off a raptor 350, so im a little nervous but i think if i take it slow, i should be ok. i just would like to know your guys opinions. the YFZ im referring to would be an 06-08. im not worried about the 50 inch width on the LTR, my sponsor can narrow the stock a-arms up. or get narrow a-arms cheap from my buddy. the only real question i have is how hard do they "hit" in the RPM's? anything else you guys have opinions on, let it out! thanks!

ALSO, DON"T start a debate on here about whose is better and how much faster yours is. i just wanna know what people think of them. AND, im NOT ready to buy one, so dont try and sell me yours!

631kfx400
10-12-2008, 12:51 PM
ltr, done finished lock the thread;)

drgnerth
10-12-2008, 01:28 PM
One thing you need to consider is the width. For xc the LTR might be a tight fit depending on the kind of trails you ride.

XCRacer236
10-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by drgnerth
One thing you need to consider is the width. For xc the LTR might be a tight fit depending on the kind of trails you ride.

lol, your about the 5th person that has said that. my sponsor can narrow up the stock a-arms so im not worried about that.

450raider
10-12-2008, 02:47 PM
get a kfx because i have one, then well be be like a secret club :D, nah j/k, really between your choices of ltr or 06-08 yfz id take an ltr,...... but the 09 yfz450r may be worth a look also...

XCRacer236
10-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by 450raider
get a kfx because i have one, then well be be like a secret club :D, nah j/k, really between your choices of ltr or 06-08 yfz id take an ltr,...... but the 09 yfz450r may be worth a look also...

nah, first year models aren't worth anything. and the price tag is too steep for me

BlaineKaiser450
10-12-2008, 04:56 PM
ltr for sure

10-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Ive race a yfz for 3 years. (05 model) It was great for a year then went to shyt. It was a good quad. But more for MX then i would say woods. Not talking about suspension. But hi reeving hard hitting powerband. For the trails a nice smooth power of a ltr or a 450r seems alot more USABLE power. And the ltr is a beauttt to sit on for a long time. And it already has a great aftermarket world for it compared to the newer bikes out there(kfx,09yfz,ktm,canam) Id suggest the kfx only for the fact it has reverse. And is already narrow. I will not say its better then another. The kfx hits harder on top alot like the yfz did. So maybe its not for you. But it's something to look into for sure. What ever choice you make you will be happy

Ryan
10-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Do yourself a favor and test ride both of them. Then figure out what you feel more comfortable on.

And the lack of low end power on the YFZ never stopped me in the woods...... RUN IT LIKE A 2-STROKE.

XCRacer236
10-12-2008, 06:25 PM
the kawi is an AWESOME bike, but its just not really for me. i feel more at home on the YFZ or LTR. i like smooth power than just a hard hit then its done. and the LTR seems to have that. good info guys! keep it coming!

JRP
10-12-2008, 07:10 PM
ltr for sure

suck my pipe
10-12-2008, 07:35 PM
I love my LTR

400ex28
10-12-2008, 08:14 PM
LTR

mittman
10-12-2008, 08:59 PM
after riding my dads yfz then my friends ltr both are pretty good but i would have to go with ltr.

greenblood01
10-13-2008, 11:33 AM
I've ridden both, my best friend has an LTR and I have a YFZ. The LTR just feels heavy to me while riding, and seems harder to get the front end up than on my YFZ. The power feels to come on much harder on the YFZ. The nice thing about the YFZ is it is alredy the right width for XC like preciously stated.

I would do as someone else mentioned and ride both to see which one you think is for you.

10-14-2008, 01:10 PM
450r

greenblood01
10-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Honda or DI3
450r

He's already stated his reasons for narrowing it down to the LTR and YFZ..

10-14-2008, 01:18 PM
do you start running or do you have to start your quad lik the pros b/c i was reading tht the LTRs get bad starts because of the EFI, i guess it takes a takes a lttle bit longer to start

XCRacer236
10-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Honda or DI3
do you start running or do you have to start your quad lik the pros b/c i was reading tht the LTRs get bad starts because of the EFI, i guess it takes a takes a lttle bit longer to start

i have dead engine starts. it does take a little longer to start, but ive seen a few at the local races, and they aren't THAT much slower, so im not really worried about it

younggun95
10-14-2008, 03:25 PM
efi causes slight delay in starting, but only really a problem in the Pro or Pro-Am ranks. It might make a difference to them, but not as much to the other classes.

bens250ex
10-14-2008, 07:50 PM
i have an 08 ltr that i am selling pretty much mint all it does is sit in the garage only ridin a hand full of times. hit me up if you want a nice one for a good price. my email is hondamanben@hotmail.com

SRH
10-14-2008, 08:25 PM
crikey look at the gncc results, yamaha owns the gncc's

ive only run mx, but i have 04-05 there just as reliable as the 06-08 but mine are setup, there great quads, but maintain them, i have and never ran into any mechanical failures i actually had more trouble with my 400ex when i ran that hard than my yamahas, the ltr's are nice quads too, but for some reason if u pick up the *** end of a ltr and the *** end of a yfz the ltr feels like it weighs 2x as much the ltr has smooth power and turns a lil better imo, but like some of the guys said your gonna have to deal with delayed starting and narrowing, yamahas have proven themselves in the gncc the money spent on narrowing could be put into redoiung the stock yfz shocks, a pipe and maybe some tire balls or something like that

those 2 things would make me pick the yamaha, because all the 450s are good and competitve but why choose one thats going to hinder you from the get go, i mean kawi, honda, yamaha, suzuki there all junk none of them are going to last any longer than the other without the right maintence, the yamaha geared down has constant power and its easy to ride