PDA

View Full Version : YFZ or LTR?

XCRacer236
10-12-2008, 10:23 AM
alright guys, im gonna be 16 in the off season so im gonna move up to a 450. i race XC as you can tell from my siganture, and my dad and i love both bikes. we just dont know which one would be better. im coming off a raptor 350, so im a little nervous but i think if i take it slow, i should be ok. i just would like to know your guys opinions. the only real question i have is how hard does the LTR "hit" in the RPM's? anything else you guys have opinions on, let it out! thanks! im talking about the 06-08 YFZ's. also, i have the LTR width covered with my sponsor, thats not a problem.

10-12-2008, 10:43 AM
ltr all the way!!!!!!!!:D

hondaracer31
10-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Remember, the LTR is 50 inches wide. That might be a little too wide for cross country.

It doesn't so much have a "hit" but it does like to be revved, there's not much lugging power. I have stalled mine idleing across the pits to get to the gate.

You'd probably be better off asking this in the open forum. Everybody in here is going to say "LTR all the way".
Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but I'm an MX'er.

XCRacer236
10-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by hondaracer31
Remember, the LTR is 50 inches wide. That might be a little too wide for cross country.

It doesn't so much have a "hit" but it does like to be revved, there's not much lugging power. I have stalled mine idleing across the pits to get to the gate.

You'd probably be better off asking this in the open forum. Everybody in here is going to say "LTR all the way".
Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but I'm an MX'er.

yeah ik its 50, but my sponsor can narrow the stock a-arms in a day. i asked in here cause i wanted to know what kind of problems people have had, or what they like about them. i put this in the YFZ column too.

pitdawg
10-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Well I have both, I do have a ton more money sunk into my YFZ and although I love both quads I do like my YFZ more. It feels like it has way more power and feels better in the air to me. I have a bunch of friends with some pretty "built" LTR's and my buddy/sponser who owns a machine shop seems to work on the LTR's a lot more than the YFZ's. I havent had any trouble with either one but I do have way more hours on the YFZ. Both quads are great and you definately dont have to stick as much money into the LTR right off the bat to make it "ridable"!

10-18-2008, 04:43 PM
LTR is like 47 or 48" wide in front not no 50". Its 50" in the rear not in the front.

Stock vs stock in drags with my ltr vs a 08 yfz450 it would beat me by a few feet. Then I removed the air box and added a cherry bomb and was faster than it every where. The honda 450r didnt stand a chance at all. Only thing is on take off the ltr got alot more wheel spin.

k4f5x0r
10-18-2008, 06:10 PM
^^ opposite of what he said. its approximatley 49 inches in the froont and 48 or so in the rear. a wider front is said to have better and more predicatable handling.

10-18-2008, 07:49 PM
^^ Wrong

Well the japs must not know how to build quads then cause I messured and thats how it turned out and thats how basicaly all quads are.

I know for a fact the front is skinnier. And why do you think they sell A-arms for the LTR from +0.5 to +2. Suzuki has a skinnier front because if it came 50" wide you could not lower it any at less you get shorter A-arms because if it was 50" wide from the factory and decided to put race shocks on it like ZPS to run a lower hight the front would go from 50 inches wide to 51-52 wide.

And you want the front wider or the same width as the rear mainly because if your front is skinnier than the rear you will clip other riders tires or trees or rocks alot more often.

bmxican345
10-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by ltr450fly
^^ Wrong

Well the japs must not know how to build quads then cause I messured and thats how it turned out and thats how basicaly all quads are.

I know for a fact the front is skinnier. And why do you think they sell A-arms for the LTR from +0.5 to +2. Suzuki has a skinnier front because if it came 50" wide you could not lower it any at less you get shorter A-arms because if it was 50" wide from the factory and decided to put race shocks on it like ZPS to run a lower hight the front would go from 50 inches wide to 51-52 wide.

And you want the front wider or the same width as the rear mainly because if your front is skinnier than the rear you will clip other riders tires or trees or rocks alot more often.

You obviously didnt measure right.

"They" don't sell +2 aaarms because it is 49 inches in the front, thats why "they" sell +.5" a-arms.

We are talking about cross country racing so you don't want anything wide.

10-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by bmxican345
You obviously didnt measure right.

"They" don't sell +2 aaarms because it is 49 inches in the front, thats why "they" sell +.5" a-arms.

We are talking about cross country racing so you don't want anything wide.

Go measure once. Its been said here on exriders more than once which is why I measured.

You can get +.5, +1, and +2 a-arms for the tr450 rocky mountain sells them and other places. The rear is not 48" wide its 49" if it was 48" they would be making and selling extended axles.

If suzuki sold the ltr450 with a 49" front all the flat track and tt racers would need to go buy shorter A-arms because when you lower any quad you go you gain any where from 1" to 2" in width which would meen a 51" ltr.

Just like most fools with 400ex's. They will only buy +2 arms cause they think their 400ex is 45" wide stock when the rear is 45" and the front is like 43" which is why +3 make the quad 49" wide not +2 like most people go with.

LTandRaptorider
10-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Go measure once. Its been said here on exriders more than once which is why I measured.

You can get +.5, +1, and +2 a-arms for the tr450 rocky mountain sells them and other places. The rear is not 48" wide its 49" if it was 48" they would be making and selling extended axles.

If suzuki sold the ltr450 with a 49" front all the flat track and tt racers would need to go buy shorter A-arms because when you lower any quad you go you gain any where from 1" to 2" in width which would meen a 51" ltr.

Just like most fools with 400ex's. They will only buy +2 arms cause they think their 400ex is 45" wide stock when the rear is 45" and the front is like 43" which is why +3 make the quad 49" wide not +2 like most people go with.

I usually do not reply to any of your nonsensical posts... However, this time I will. To keep it short and simple... I've had my LTR for over 2 years now. The front is in fact 49 inches wide. End of story. Next time you measure something, get someone to help so they can hold the smart end, you hold the dumb end of the tape measure. ;)

RIDER11X
10-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
I usually do not reply to any of your nonsensical posts... However, this time I will. To keep it short and simple... I've had my LTR for over 2 years now. The front is in fact 49 inches wide. End of story. Next time you measure something, get someone to help so they can hold the smart end, you hold the dumb end of the tape measure. ;)

:eek2: :p Ewww! That's a rough one!!!!

hatfield44
10-28-2008, 02:24 PM
5star strikes again:rolleyes:
Haven't had any trouble out of my LTR yet (knock on wood). It has more of a linear power band than that big hit on a YFZ.

XCRacer236
10-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider

LOL! well i saw this weekend my buddys STOCK ltr that he will have for sale soon, and the front DEFF looked wider than the back. so.

10-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by CaseDawg350
LOL! well i saw this weekend my buddys STOCK ltr that he will have for sale soon, and the front DEFF looked wider than the back. so.

Well then looks like I'll be putting spacers on the back and i'll still be going with +2 A-arms.

and ltr450 front tires are each 1" wider than mx tires.

trx310R#24
11-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Well then looks like I'll be putting spacers on the back and i'll still be going with +2 A-arms.

and ltr450 front tires are each 1" wider than mx tires.

:rolleyes: sorry if im wrong but wehn they made the ltr they were thinking of mx right?