PDA

View Full Version : Sportsman 400 running poorly and confusing me to death...please help

krausemouse
10-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Bought used 2004 Sportman 400. Owner claimed ran great before it sat for long time. Drained fuel and replaced with new plus fuel treatment. Didn't help after running about 15 miles of fuel through it.
Starts and idles fine. Runs mediocre when cold at low speed, not at higher speed and rpm (blubbers and craps out). After 5 minutes of running barely OK, it gets warm and barely runs. If put choke on, it quits. It runs much better when airbox cover off… but still not great.

Cleaned air filter, replaced cracked carb rubber boot going to airbox and airbox rubber seal. Thoroughly cleaned carb and all jets. Seemed clean to start and all jets and passages seemed clear. Put back together and leaked much gas into motor, leaked out exhaust pipe. Perhaps float stuck so I removed carb again and re-assembled. Put in new plug after drying out for the night and still runs poorly. Removed fuel pump and diaphram and check valves all seemed OK. Working with mechanic much smarter than me and we're both puzzled. Anything else we should check?

Appreciate any help you can give.

exrider87
10-12-2008, 11:26 AM
I dont know anything about that specific quad, but it really sounds like its jetted to rich. other than that i really dont know.

tyguy39
10-21-2008, 11:29 PM
yes. it sound like my wifes 400 at to high elevation
lean it 1 or 2 jet sizes and drop the needle a notch

krausemouse
10-22-2008, 05:16 AM
Boy do I feel stupid. After rebuilding the fuel pump and changing some carb parts, it ran great for 40 minutes until I went down a real steep decent and bottomed out pretty hard. It started running the same crappy way again. I went back to work taking it apart and again noticed that the styrofoam molding (under the gas tank) that holds the airbox snorkle in place had crept up high again. I always wondered if that was blocking the air too much but I never took it out and ran it. Once I did, it's been running perfect!