PDA

View Full Version : 250r top of engine frame center mount??

knobbyboy
10-12-2008, 06:24 AM
Why do a lot of 250R's you see have this top mount/ cross over bracket thing removed? I have messed with two 250Rs and one had it in place and one did not. Does it matter either way?

morse250r
10-12-2008, 07:06 AM
some people say they are hard to get in some say vibration ? and its easier for quick access tearing into a motor at a race ? i thin its there for a reason i run mine

Dave83
10-12-2008, 07:09 AM
Alot of people bolt them to the frame and leave the bolt that goes thru the head out.

deathman53
10-12-2008, 07:22 AM
they don't use it because some say the motor can rev better without and others say the vibrations makes them crack. But on a stock frame that is a important mount, not for the motor itself, but keeps the frame locked together(so the frame flexes less). I always use it on my trx/atc frames, if honda put it there, there has to be a reason why. Some do use it for the frame strength, but don't put a bolt connecting it to the head.

Awhile back I was riidng(in the woods none the less) I heard some pops and left side front motor mount broke, soon after the right. When I got back I saw the bottom was broke too. The only thing holding that motor in there was the swingram mounts and headstay. If I didn't have the headstay in there, the motor would have flopped around. Yes, I know I should have checked the mounts for cracking/breaking, but this was my first r and you liv and learn. You get the point on the importance on the mount.

knobbyboy
10-12-2008, 10:44 AM
I can say that it is difficult to get in and out. I had to rubber mallet it into place between the frame rails and I never could get the bolt hole on the head to line up. I ended up putting a smaller bolt through the head mount due to the slight misalignment.

trx250rider
10-12-2008, 10:59 AM
EVERY ONE THAT I SEEN OUT WAS FOR THE SIMPLE FACT THAT THE ENGINE WAS MODDED AND THE MOTOR HAD MORE TORQUE THEREFOR TWISTING AND BLOWING HEAD GASKETS..

Dave83
10-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Knobby,you bring up another point.When people start using spacer plates and different head gasket combinations,the holes sometimes will not line up.

250r rider 88
10-12-2008, 12:13 PM
i run mine and mine goes right into place, its possible that some of the guys that have to hammer it in have a little bit of flex in their frames causing the tightness mines goes right in with just a little push of the hand