PDA

View Full Version : 450SX Ride Review - MX

04TRX400EX
10-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Took my 450SX to the MX track for the first time last night. Spent quite a bit of time dialing in the shock settings to my liking but haven't even touched the a-arm adjustments. Here are my thoughts so far ...

ENGINE
The engine is definitely built to be high and quick-revving and does not like to be lugged through the turns. The power delivery is very predictable and linear and does not have a violent "hit" like a Honda 450R for example. Instead, it pulls strong from a fairly low RPM and continues through redline. Acceleration is on par with any mildly-built Yamaha or Honda and the power is transferred to the wheels very well. The transmission is also very smooth, so much so as to almost make you think you missed the gear :) The biggest thing I am getting used to is how quickly it will go through the gears. I am hitting the back "straight" in 5th gear where I was always in 4th on a Honda with the same gearing. I will say I would like a little more low-end pull - I think jetting may come into play here because there is a distinct "bog" down-low. Apparently, KTM jets their quads lean from the factory so this is likely what I am experiencing.

SUSPENSION
With virtually no adjustments from the showroom, the front end felt great. The shocks are very plush and absorb even big impacts with no jolts or hard spots. Even uneven landings were a breeze as the quad never felt like it was going to do something unexpected. The rear end took some adjustments to get it planted into the ground versus skipping along top. I must say I also weigh less than the shocks are valved for (I weigh 150 and KTM indicates expected rider weight to be 154-176lbs.) so that has a lot to do with it. After removing some compression and slowing the rebound, it feels almost as good as the front. Turn-in is very quick and accurate. I experienced virtually no bump-steer and it tracks pretty straight for not having a stabilizer.

ERGONOMICS
Overall, the quad just feels really good. The seat and gas tank are shaped perfectly to allow excellent movement forward and back and also side-to-side. I haven't messed with the adjustable stem clamps yet but the height feels good and there is minimal vibration through the bars. I like the placement of the pegs and levers and the bodywork feels solid and actually does a decent job of keeping the mud off of you :D

So far so good. I am very happy with the performance thus far
:macho

Quadevil
10-12-2008, 07:52 AM
I think you just should jet it properly. It'll become even more responsive and give more power :)

"The rest" = perfect :D

mx-660
10-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Im just wondering did you try the different cdi curve? By unplugging the wire under the hood. They claim it gives you a better hit or more torque.

Codys 2004 MX_YFZ450
10-12-2008, 12:32 PM
man, this new KTM450SX quad sounds like one badass quad, and I can't wait to get one. I'm trying to sell my YFZ450 right now, so if anyone knows of someone who wants a yfz450, please let me know. I got a nice one to sell right now. but as for this new KTM450Sx quad, I'm getting more anxious to get one everyday

04TRX400EX
10-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by mx-660
Im just wondering did you try the different cdi curve? By unplugging the wire under the hood. They claim it gives you a better hit or more torque.

As far as I have been able to tell, the wire comes connected from the factory. The manual indicates that connecting the wire improves performance where disconnecting it improves driveability (their word, not mine). Eventually I will unplug it just to see what the difference is.